So Why Are Breeders Reluctant To Advertise Where There Is A Demand For

SwaY

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was actually just reading a facebook thread similar and it backed up what you say exactly.

One breeder was saying that they will never ever breed a litter for the pet market.

It kind of left me wondering really, what's so bad about that?

If you breed responsibly and ethically and within reason I really can't see how supplying the public with just (well bred, well adjusted and sound) pets can be such a cardinal sin?

I thought I must just have missed something.

I possibly still have! Haha.

What do they do with pups they don't want to show then? Drown them to keep them out of the hands of the majority pet owning public?

What that usually means is that they won't breed JUST for the pet market. The dogs not wanted or identified as show prospects are sold as pets.

Thats exaxtly how it was meant, lucky. No drowning as far as i know!

It does devalue the pet buyer a bit too, which is a shame but each to their own and whatever works for you.

Then they are breeding for the pet market. I have no time for breeders like this.

As a pet owner who loves pedigree dogs, I am glad there are good breeders who do supply to those like me who just want a pet that is healthy as possible [meaning they've done the hard yards breeding, doing health tests etc.]. I've never had any trouble with my current dog except for his self inflicted injuries and some seasonal allergies. He's coming up for 8 in 2 months time and he still has the same physique he had when he was a year old, he's just a little bit slower now a days. I can't thank my breeder enough for giving me the gift of a wonderful pet :)

I've seen my breeder advertise online in different places - but to me I just think well done. Much rather see reg'd breeders advertising than the byb, designer dogs etc., that currently fill up online advertising sites.

I was actually just reading a facebook thread similar and it backed up what you say exactly.

One breeder was saying that they will never ever breed a litter for the pet market.

If you breed responsibly and ethically and within reason I really can't see how supplying the public with just (well bred, well adjusted and sound) pets can be such a cardinal sin?

What do they do with pups they don't want to show then? Drown them to keep them out of the hands of the majority pet owning public?

What that usually means is that they won't breed JUST for the pet market. The dogs not wanted or identified as show prospects are sold as pets.

It does devalue the pet buyer a bit too, which is a shame but each to their own and whatever works for you.

Then they are breeding for the pet market. I have no time for breeders like this.

Best let everyone who wants a pet get one from a BYB then, if registered breeders are that exclusive.

Best let everyone who wants a pet get one from a BYB then, if registered breeders are that exclusive.

So they SHOULD be drowning them then....?

Glad to see that the breeder you got your first pedigrees from didn't have the same elitist attitude you seem to have developed Sheridan...

Seriously - how the hell does someone even start to begin looking when the attitudes of those who own/breed certain pedigreed dogs are so condescending?

T.

I don't breed for the pet market, there really isn't one for greyhound puppies unless they are free. My next litter being bred is for me to get a bitch to breed on with and also show, but the breeding side is more important, one other pup is going to a show home most likely not for breeding. It is an outcross so not quite sure what will be produced for showing. The rest will be going to pet homes, we know this but we are not breeding for pet homes, they are a by product.

If I was breeding a more popular breed, breeding a pet litter every now and again; yeah why not. I certainly don't think that breeders that do that are bad. I know breeders that have more popular breeds and breed them (registered)for pets to help subsidise their main breed who can be hard to home and have extra costs in the keeping of 1/2 dozen pups for a longer time.

So the answer to the original question "So why are breeders reluctant to advertise where there is a demand for animals"

Answer - Because they are negatively judged and bullied.

Edited by Steve

Glad to see that the breeder you got your first pedigrees from didn't have the same elitist attitude you seem to have developed Sheridan...

Seriously - how the hell does someone even start to begin looking when the attitudes of those who own/breed certain pedigreed dogs are so condescending?

T.

What no *grin*? You normally post one when you're not being funny.

You have totally taken what I wrote as a 180 degree turn from what was meant. Read it again, "T".

So the answer to the original question "So why are breeders reluctant to advertise where there is a demand for animals"

Not just by AR folks but by other breeders, too.

Not just by AR folks but by other breeders, too.

Yep.

T.

What no *grin*? You normally post one when you're not being funny.

You have totally taken what I wrote as a 180 degree turn from what was meant. Read it again, "T".

Then you were being ambioguous when you posted...

... because it reads like you have no time for registered breeders who sell pets...

T.

I think for a registered breeder to have to advertise on Gumtree ~ would mean sinking very low, how could you build up a good reputation selling from a crap website? By advertising on Dolforum ~ you would give a buyer utmost confidence in the quality of your breeding stock, and it would be much more classy. Then again, I am of the old school, I found my fav GWP breeder by word of mouth ~ many years ago, with pups of said place always selling out fast, orders going in before they are ready to go, yes, notification of next litter can also be found on Dolforum.

You need to read Steve's excellent post again. Do you have any idea how hard it is for some breeders to find good homes for their pups? We don't all breed cav's or golden's. Plenty of dodgy breeders on DOL

eta the cav and goldie breeders also have to weed through potential homes, they just usually have a greater number of people interested in their breeds.

Very true. I'm a goldie breeder and it took 2 weeks to find 8 really good homes could have sold another 8 by 3 weeks. Not they way I operate, I don't think I would have time to raise 2 litters at the same time nor the finances.

Puppy buyers come in waves too. You may breed a litter this week and have loads of great people lining up for a puppy and you have every reason to believe if you had another litter in a few months that it would be the same - there are no guarantees that will be the case and if you are in a position where you need to advertise it doesn't automatically turn you into a 'terrible,mass producing breeder who only breeds for the pet market ' and has no desire to do what is best for the breed.

Registered breeders are adults so they can, as individuals, figure out what's in the best interests of their dogs & breed... & do it.

There's no rule that says each one has to do exactly the same thing.

Breeders who largely show & breed for show purposes, have puppies they consider pet quality... or believe in retiring their show dogs to pet homes. So finding pet homes even comes in at that level.

Others may place more emphasis on, generally, placing their puppies in pet homes. That often goes along with an appreciation of the kind of joys/interests/challenges that the breed traits bring to a matching pet home.

As to means for finding the pet homes.... which was what the OP was about. Again, it's up to individual choice.

If a registered breeder doesn't want to advertise alongside unregistered breeders in places like newspapers & internet sale places.... that's their choice. If another doesn't agree with that.... fine, but respect the right to choose.

I have no problem with someone who does advertise like that, asking those who don't, to consider some possible benefits.

And adding suggestions how to word ads with a clear clue that purebred breeding is different.

No problem, either, with those who wouldn't advertise like that, saying why. And asking that those reasons be considered, equally. If another doesn't agree ... again, fine. But respect the right to choose.

Edited by mita

Registered breeders are adults so they can, as individuals, figure out what's in the best interests of their dogs & breed... & do it.

There's no rule that says each one has to do exactly the same thing.

Breeders who largely show & breed for show purposes, have puppies they consider pet quality... or believe in retiring their show dogs to pet homes. So finding pet homes even comes in at that level.

Others may place more emphasis on, generally, placing their puppies in pet homes. That often goes along with an appreciation of the kind of joys/interests/challenges that the breed traits bring to a matching pet home.

As to means for finding the pet homes.... which was what the OP was about. Again, it's up to individual choice.

If a registered breeder doesn't want to advertise alongside unregistered breeders in places like newspapers & internet sale places.... that's their choice. If another doesn't agree with that.... fine, but respect the right to choose.

I also have no problem with someone who does advertise like that, asking those who don't, to consider some possible benefits.

And adding suggestions how to words ads with a clear clue that purebred breeding is different.

No problem, either, with those who wouldn't advertise like that, saying why. And asking that those reasons be considered.

All in a context where the right to choose is respected.

That about covers it.