Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sing the praises of the mother who is dog sitting today, the friend who dog sat on Tuesday and the great people at DogCity Doggy Daycare who looked after them Wednesday and yesterday - hang the expense - my peace of mind that my guys are well. looked after and supervised is worth every cent. smile.gif

But still can't wait for tomorrow...

We're all home but I've been leaving our girls outside all day. I think they're better off there because we don't have aircon. They spend all of their time on the back verandah which is on the southeast corner of the house. It gets the morning sun, but at least half of it is in the shade from late morning on. There are other shady spots around the yard, but they insist on staying there. I've been going out two or three times a day to hose the verandah, and dogs, down. Indi hides in her kennel when she sees the hose, but Em will tolerate it even though she hates being hosed. Once I go away they both lie on the wet concrete and Em doesn't pant for a while.

I think the cool change is starting to come in. The wind has picked up and shifted round and the temp is starting to drop - still 41, but was 45 an hour ago.

We'd been doing fine all heat wave but last.night our house just wouldn't cool down and I woke up at about 1 AM to pup panting frantically and burning up :(. I tried wetting a tea towel and laying it down on.the tiles in front of the fireplace but she didn't quite understand and wouldn't lay down on it so I triedwrapped her in the wet towel and went and got a fan from the garage. Turns out the fan was in the garage because its broken and you have to wait ten minutes for other to get going! In the mean time i tried to bring her body temp down by soaking another towel in icy chilled water and then wrapping it around a freezer brick and putting that underneath her while feeding her ice cubes so that she got hydrated. She cooled down pretty quick and i got the fan to work so we just fell asleep infront of that but poor puppy is really sick of the heat! Bring tomorrow is all I can say.

Be careful wrapping in ice or putting ice on an overheated dog, cooling them down too quickly can be just as dangerous as overheating.

One of my pugs was hot last night so I put her in a cool bath and she lay on the floorboards to sleep (she tried snuggling up to me but thankfully after about 10 minutes moved to the floor lol)

Yep they sure are like 'hot water bottles' when they snuggle up! Last thing I need in 40+ degree heat.

I just soaked one of my cats and she felt so much better she climbed onto my lap. Not helpful but very sweet :heart:

I just wiped my cat down with a damp towel, she decided it was a toy and tried to eat my hand, steal the towel and try to eat it. Clearly the heat is not putting a dampener on her cheekiness. She's now lying in a sunny spot by the window.................

poor ol 17 year ol cat has been feeling the heat, have his room ventilated with the ac blowing out towards that way [he still hides out in his room from the dog, as he's never liked the dog...even though he grew up with 3 huskies /sigh]. He seems happier now and is just sprawled out on his bed. Dog is sprawled out on his in the family room.