Best/ Worst Dog Treats And Chews

JenniCB

I spent yesterday at a friend's place. There were a few of us who brought their dogs along and my friend had bought a bag of treats to give them all from a company called "Naturalicious".

I have old dogs with delicate tums and few teeth - they really enjoyed the fish and roo sticks and the little buttons - i'll certainly be buying the same treats from this site in future as all the dogs loved them and no upset stomachs!

http://www.naturalicious.com.au/user/31355456/web/index.asp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'sensitive stomach"

as in how .....? are there only certain proteins he can tolerate? is fat a problem? Fibre?

what about bones?

natural , fresh, and available in all different flavours ? Sheep/cow/turkey/chicken/pig/fish/deer...... surely one will be suitable?

it is really easy to dehydrate slices of apple , etc ....

What about using the dog's normal food as training "treats" ... a meal spread out over a day ..no scoffing from a bowl , that way ;)

We have found it really difficult to settle on a chew or treat that doesn't have some sort of associated drawback.

However we treat with Wellness Bars for going into a crate etc., pig ears occasionally, raw turkey necks & rib bones as chews.

For obedience training or the quick reward I cut up (2cm width) the kangaroo straps I buy from Aldi.

They are an Australian product, the dogs love them and they aren't expensive.

Another good natural reward is to dry fry the 100% beef patties and cut them up....now THEY are all natural!

For training treats I use tiny cubes of cheese, frankfurts, cabanossi, sausage, devon etc. Not healthy but they are called treats for a reason :) For minor training around the house or reinforcement when out and about I just use kibble (but my dogs would work for coal if they thought it was edible).

For "chewies", often referred to in our house as "bribes" or "shutter-upperers" they do get some rawhides. I get small twisted beef ones. Guess you just have to weigh up the pros and cons. They were a lifesaver for us especially with crate training. The only thing we've found that last as long are beef pizzles but they are expensive and hard to find these days.

When we leave for the day they get Kongs filled with Nature's Gift tinned food and frozen. They also get frozen meaty bones but we don't feed them these together so they're reserved for supervised times. Oh... and they have deer antlers scattered in the backyard for daytime chews :)

My dog got really ill from a pigs ear I bought from the vet. I would have thought a vet clinic would be fairly stringent on the quality of their stock but apparently not. I won't be buying her any more of these type treats. I have been scared of giving her any types of dried treats now so I give her a chicken wing as a treat.

We won't touch rawhide after our boy as a baby puppy ended up throwing up chunks of rawhide that he couldn't digest.

For chews bully sticks are a favourite, there's a guy who sells huge ones down at one of the local markets for cheap-ish.

For training treats I'll use cheese or the natures gift little chewy treats, although with lucy I could probably get away with using just about anything that comes from the kitchen except zucchini..

You could try making your own bikkies from Dr Harry's recipe. You can then make them whatever size you like. Mine love em. Great for fresh breath too. Lots of carrot, parsley, bit of natural bran, wholemeal flower and little bit of light mozzarella for flavour. Recipe readily available on line. Just google Dr Harry's dog biscuits.A little bit of extra cooking time makes them nice and hard so they last a bit longer.

My dog absolutely loved the everlasting treat and it kept her entertained for hours. I was so disappointed when they discontinued them. She didn't have any reaction to the everlasting treat so might try the nature's gift treats in a treat ball.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STARMARK-INTERLOCKING-EVERLOCKING-TREATS-LARGE-LIVER-FLAVOUR-/321305925954?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item4acf535942

They are still available overseas, I heard the problem was they changed manufacturing from USA to china, then hated the product then swapped back to USA made. Then because of all the paperwork having to be redone because of import, sizing, packaging, manufacture etc it basically became a PITA to try and get them to Australia. Same happened with all the toys that contained a free treat in there as well. I just ended up selling heaps of pickle pockets and loaded up on the toys the odd times they were in good supply when I was buying them in bulk just over a year ago.

Best ever chews - take a sweet potato,wash and dry, cut into strips lengthwise about a quarter of an inch thick - go a bit thicker rather than thinner .

Place the strips on baking paper and bake for three hours for chewy or 30 mins longer for crunchy turning half way through. You can smear em with peanut butter or sprinkle with powdered beef stock too for an extra yummy treat.

I bought the Jerhigh when we got Vinnie and then reading here I don't buy it any more.

I got the nature's gift and he loooooves them.

For training treats I cut those up into quarters so they last longer or I just use the kibble he's having if it's a meal time.

Cheese however is the THING for him. He just has to hear the packaging and goes a bit mental. He has to take phenergan twice a day for a grass allergy so I hide it in cheese. He'll even sit without command for cheese including when it has tablets in it.

I have found zukes z bones at pet barn good, googling only bought up positive things about it unlike greenies. They are a good teeth chew that's clean enough to give them inside. I also get the k9 natural treats which are made in NZ and mighty raw treat chews made in Australia.

My dog absolutely loved the everlasting treat and it kept her entertained for hours. I was so disappointed when they discontinued them. She didn't have any reaction to the everlasting treat so might try the nature's gift treats in a treat ball.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STARMARK-INTERLOCKING-EVERLOCKING-TREATS-LARGE-LIVER-FLAVOUR-/321305925954?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item4acf535942

They are still available overseas, I heard the problem was they changed manufacturing from USA to china, then hated the product then swapped back to USA made. Then because of all the paperwork having to be redone because of import, sizing, packaging, manufacture etc it basically became a PITA to try and get them to Australia. Same happened with all the toys that contained a free treat in there as well. I just ended up selling heaps of pickle pockets and loaded up on the toys the odd times they were in good supply when I was buying them in bulk just over a year ago.

Thank you so much for that! That however is the interlocking treat. I'm looking for this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Starmark-Everlasting-Dog-Treat-Chicken-Medium-/111258065236?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item19e77f5954&_uhb=1

but I don't trust that it's not from China so might wait until my pet store gets it in.

Edited by essentialdog

I was shocked when I saw what a scared rescue pei was prepared to do for a piece of lamb puff! It doesn't smell overly offensive, doesn't leave messy fingers and can be broken into different sizes so it is my go to treat. Pei can't eat just any old foods either but I've never even experienced smelly farts from using this product. I just order mine in through my local City Farmers. It comes from an Australian company but the name escapes me right now.

I was shocked when I saw what a scared rescue pei was prepared to do for a piece of lamb puff! It doesn't smell overly offensive, doesn't leave messy fingers and can be broken into different sizes so it is my go to treat. Pei can't eat just any old foods either but I've never even experienced smelly farts from using this product. I just order mine in through my local City Farmers. It comes from an Australian company but the name escapes me right now.

Australian Pet Treat Company have it and usually at a fraction of the cost of buying it from retailers.*

* Haredown Whippets receives no commission for constantly spruiking this company but given how much she spends online there, she should have shares by now.

Edited by Haredown Whippets