What's It Like Owning A Specific Breed

kiwioz

This is a topic that has been on my mind since adopting our new wee fellow Charlie. He is a silky terrier x. My previous dog Cal was a cairn terrier. Now Charlie is a third the size and certainly looks different, however as another wee terrier, there are of course similarities and every so often I'll glimpse Charlie at a certain angle or in a particular pose and for just an instant he reminds me SO much of Cal. I still miss my old boy a lot and these reminders are slightly bitter sweet - it is really nice in a way but makes me a little sad at the same time.

I've only owned 4 dogs in my life so far and this is the closest I've got to having the same breed, so it is not something I've had any experience with. However it made me think of all of you on here who own/breed/show a particular breed and have so many dogs that look so much the same! Do you find that you are constantly being reminded of dogs you've had in the past? Or do you just get used to it? Or do you know your own dogs so well that they look completely different to you?

Perhaps this is a silly question and just somewhat stating the obvious, but I'm curious if anyone else has felt this way :)

I often glimpse my old british shorthair cat in the features of our current one, Amber is the gold tabby version of her silver tabby and it can be kind of disconcerting at times so I know what you mean. I haven't gotten used to it but it does sometimes spur me to go back and peruse old photos of her. It probably doesn't help that she was put down due to an injury quite suddenly so we never had that gradual aging and time to say goodbye.

Yes to me they are all very different. There are definitely similarities and sometimes there are things that remind me of other dogs, but they are all so individual as well. Basically I get to keep the 'sameness' I like about a breed but still have very different dogs. Compare it to people - sisters and brothers or even cousins have things in common, but they are all very different people.

I've owned 7 pugs over my life, and shared my home with many, many more temporarily. Out of the 7 I have owned, 3 were from a very young age and the others mature aged when they came to me.

They all have that lovely pug temperament, look and they've all been fawn. To the outsider they might all be the same dog, but they're very, very different each and every one to me.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks for all your thoughts and experiences.

I hasten to add that I wasn't implying anyone's dogs weren't unique or that you somehow miss out on 'differentness' by having the same breed :) I'm also not comparing my two dogs as such, just that I've found the similarities quite striking and slightly disconcerting and figured it must happen quite often if dogs are in fact the same breed.

Espinay I like your description of having 'sameness' at the same time as having different dogs :)

I often glimpse my old british shorthair cat in the features of our current one, Amber is the gold tabby version of her silver tabby and it can be kind of disconcerting at times so I know what you mean. I haven't gotten used to it but it does sometimes spur me to go back and peruse old photos of her. It probably doesn't help that she was put down due to an injury quite suddenly so we never had that gradual aging and time to say goodbye.

I'm sorry you lost your girl so suddenly :( It was a bit the same with Cal, which now that I think about it may be contributing to this because he was never particularly elderly, and until very near the end behaved very much how Charlie is now.

It is not that they look the same, as they have been a range of colours and patterns. But the little quirks, the way they respond, the way they show affection, the style of their play and even the poses they assume are very breed typical and I love it. My first five were all related, and I could see even more similarities in them, it was lovely.

efs

Edited by Diva

Not a silly question, after I lost my Italian that I'd rescued and owned for 9 years, one Italian I fostered (I run Italian Greyhound rescue) was far too similar and I just couldn't keep him here because of it, it was bringing my heartbreak and memories back - this was months after I'd lost my first Italian. This dog could have been his twin and I moved him to another foster carer.

The other two Italians I've had did not look the same and if I keep owning them as a breed, I would rather not go for the same colours each time. I guess with some breeds you don't have a lot of choice though and if that was me, I'd probably look at a different breed.

Edited by dogmad

I have four generations at home at the moment and it gives me joy to see some of the quirks from dogs that have passed, being done by their progeny. It feels like I haven't lost those that have passed forever. Don't get me wrong, they all have their individual personalities but just sometimes in the turning of the head or a reaction to something gives me an "Awwhh" moment.

It is not that they look the same, as they have been a range of colours and patterns. But the little quirks, the way they respond, the way they show affection, the style of their play and even the poses they assume are very breed typical and I love it. My first five were all related, and I could see even more similarities in them, it was lovely.

efs

The bolded bit is far more the sorts of things I'm noticing :) Very terrier-typical things that Charlie will do. I'm really glad it has been a lovely reminder for you :) A lot of the time it is for me too! But tinged with a bit of sadness.

Dogmad thanks for your story, I guess breed doesn't necessitate dogs being similar but it can certainly happen! I'm sorry it was sad memories for you. I agree with you that I'm not sure I could do it with a breed where colouring was very similar.

Shelby I love your notion of feeling like you haven't lost your dogs forever :)

Really appreciate the thoughts and insight on this! I'm not sure whether I will ever be a person that has a particular breed as I have a list as long as my arm that I want to own (no doubt in between rescuing more mutts) but I find it very interesting.

Agree with Shelby... We have 3 generations here now, and had 5 generations prior to the oldest one over the years. The oldest one often gets called the name of her Grannie who died at 16 more than 5 years ago. Doesn't 'hurt' it's lovely. Not sure it would be the same if we ever got a dog that reminded us of one we had lost young or tragically - we lost Dallas last year when he wasn't quite 3 and had his son here recently. They are so similar in so many ways it was a bit difficult but his pups are due soon so I guess we'll have to get used to it :-)

Edited by Sandra777

My youngest GSD 4 year old looks like his granddad who I owned for 12 years especially his head side on, the shape of his upper muzzle and the way he hangs out his tongue and the ear set is near identical. What the resemblance reminds me of aside from fondness I have for granddad is when I worked granddad I was 16 years younger wishing I was as physically fit now to work grandson as I did granddad in the day :laugh: :cry:

Edited by Amax-1

We had a foster Weimaraner, Jessie - my husband loved her and bonded very quickly to her but being the horrible person I am couldn't do it :laugh: She reminded me too much of my Weim, Tess who I'd lost the year prior and thought it was unfair to project expectations on her to be such.

I've only owned 4 dogs in my life so far and this is the closest I've got to having the same breed, so it is not something I've had any experience with. However it made me think of all of you on here who own/breed/show a particular breed and have so many dogs that look so much the same! Do you find that you are constantly being reminded of dogs you've had in the past? Or do you just get used to it? Or do you know your own dogs so well that they look completely different to you?

Perhaps this is a silly question and just somewhat stating the obvious, but I'm curious if anyone else has felt this way :)

It's funny, but spend enough time with dogs of the same breed, and they DON'T look the same! With variations in character, despite the fact that they have the same structure and general temperament, each is very much an individual. However sticking with the same breed means you know what you are in for generally speaking.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

As an adult, I have owned two purebred staffordshire bull terriers and now I have a staffy cross - he is way too big to be a stafford at 26kg, so he is very 'amstaff' like to me.

Growing up, we had staffords, dobes and a gorgeous rotty (the rotty was my brothers but the whole family adored him)...

My whole family over the years have had staffordshire bull terriers and between us have had well over 10 of them. The traits we see in them are very similar, although they do have different personalities. But for the most part, they all did the funny stafford things.

I see a lot of the same things in Ziggy, that I saw in Ollie and Louis before him.

Ziggy is the first dog I have ever had that isn't motivated by food - he has very little interest in food, unless it is attached to a bone of some description..

I love bull breeds, pure and crosses.. But my heart belongs to the SBT as a breed..

I agree with HW - the more time you spend around a breed, the more you see individual differences. My dogs are all very different, even those of the same breed and colour (and even with colour they are not exactly the same).

My first dog was an English Pointer [b/w] and she was my heart girl. We lost her suddenly in 2005. Since then between my parents and I, we have since owned three more Pointers. Two Lemon/white and one Liver/white.

I didn't get my own Pointer until 2010 but now I adore having him in my life and I do feel the part of my heart that died with Penny has returned.