Poisoning Grass And Dogs

samoyedman

I'm getting new grass laid. The old grass has to be killed off first with a chemical I am told is twice as strong as Round Up or Zero.

How long after using extra strong poison like this would you let your dog back on the poisoned grass? I do notice in the mornings he likes to lick/chew the grass sometimes.

One of the grass guys has told me a few hours until it dries, another one said one week! Quite a difference in opinion there.

Thanks for any advice.

Do a double check on fertiliser too. Some fertilisers contain lead. I'd avoid. When turf is laid, sometimes they sprinkle slow release fertiliser before laying turf. As mentioned, double check.

Roundup is the most used agricultural chemical in the world, and one of the most heavily tested. Testing has been done on dogs (beagles). They found that very heavy dosage put directly in the dogs food caused some problems, but there is no evidence that the amounts used to kill weeds will have any effect on dogs or any mammals. This is one of the reasons it is widely sold for home use . . . even idiots are unlikely to poison themselves or their pets with the stuff.

The residence time in the environment is said to be about two weeks (less in hot weather). There is some evidence it may persist longer in the soil, and there are some people who feel the stuff is doing a lot of damage to the environment, particularly in soy/maize growing regions.

Bottom line is don't worry about it. Or if you are strongly anti-chemical and choose to worry, the risk, which is tiny, will subside in a couple weeks.

p.s. you might talk with the guys who applied it. Although glyphosate (the active ingredient in Roundup) is non-toxic to mammals, sometimes they mix it with other chemicals to make sure the plants absorb it well. These may have some toxicity.

OOPS! Didn't read right. Twice as strong as roundup could mean lots of things. I would guess it means roundup at a lower dilution. The stuff farmers and landscapers use is both powerful and cheap . . . but the same chemical you'd buy in your local garden shop as Roundup. The alternatives are more expensive and less safe.

Edited by sandgrubber

The title of this thread just might be your answer. laugh.gif

So if you want to avoid your title coming true with poisoned grass AND dogs then I would ask for the chemical composition of the herbicide or the brand name and then check with the manufacturer to see if you need to send your dogs on a boarding holiday for three or four days.

Just remembered that when I moved in here 10 years ago i used masses of Yates Once A Year Pathweeder to get rid of a Kikuyi ? lawn as nothing else would shift it.

As a precaution I got some star pickets & a cheap roll of chicken wire & partitioned it off for a while. Better safe than sorry. Cheap & easy for peace of mind.

Can use a trap too.

please tell me you mean tarp????? ;)

*has weird visions of new grass shoots being caught in traps ............. :p *

:laugh: Yes tarp. Considering the lack of sleep I've had the last week I think I am doing quite well!

Can use a trap too.

please tell me you mean tarp????? ;)

*has weird visions of new grass shoots being caught in traps ............. :p *

:laugh: Yes tarp. Considering the lack of sleep I've had the last week I think I am doing quite well!

Thank goodness! :) Hope you sleep tonight...

Just a tip with the new turf. As you're getting it laid towards the end of the grass growing season it may not start growing and sending roots down until the start of the next season. This means lots of water and watering to keep it alive until then. I learnt this the hard way! :laugh:

I'm getting new grass laid. The old grass has to be killed off first with a chemical I am told is twice as strong as Round Up or Zero.

How long after using extra strong poison like this would you let your dog back on the poisoned grass? I do notice in the mornings he likes to lick/chew the grass sometimes.

One of the grass guys has told me a few hours until it dries, another one said one week! Quite a difference in opinion there.

Thanks for any advice.

Read the Product leaflet and if necessary the MSDS. They will give you the correct with holding periods