"proper" Dog Friendly Retreat Type Accomodation In Victoria

osusoy

Hi all,

I am fairly new here but am hoping someone here might be able to help with this. Me and my buddy Manix (a 2kg papillon) are trying to find somewhere to go for a relaxing couple of days off but finding suitable accommodation is proving to be fairly difficult. I have found many that claim to be 'dog friendly' but after some inquiries, it seems that what they actually mean is that they tolerate dogs; they usually have rules like 'not inside', 'not on the furniture', 'not in the bedroom' etc. which to me is not dog friendly at all! Considering how I normally treat Manix, following any of those rules would basically be punishment for him as he is normally treated with the same rights as a human and sleeps with me at nights.

Does anyone know any truly dog friendly and secluded accommodation in Victoria where Manix and I can go to for some peace and quiet without putting Manix in distress with these ridiculous rules? We don't really need any luxuries but I don't mind spending some extra money to make sure it is as enjoyable and relaxing for Manix as it is for me.

Thanks

Ozgur

Would Philip Island be too far? My aunt has a apartment type place they rent out for holidays there, it's a large loft type area with bed, kitchen, etc and very nice, timber floors, etc, close to the beach, it's really lovely. It has it's own fully fenced small yard there for dogs. I know for sure dogs are allowed to sleep downstairs inside as I've stayed there with my dogs(who are big dogs and mostly outdoor dogs so I didn't need to ask about upstairs) but can check if they are allowed upstairs, they have a very much loved golden retriever who is very indoors dog so I'm sure that for the right sort of client they would be OK for indoors.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Have a look online at Cape Otway Cottages, they are very secluded and nice to stay at. My husband and I have been there a couple of times, we have taken three dogs with us. They are allowed inside, on the beds/furniture as long as you cover everything with the sheets supplied, they leave you food and water bowls as well as dog food and treats.

The two cottages we've stayed in have sunken spa baths and wood fires, definitely a place I highly recommend.

I've stayed at Countrywide Cottages here

They were brilliant. They do state no dogs on the furniture or beds, but they also provide sheets to cover the furniture because they understand that some dogs don't normally have those rules. I haven't been there for about 3 years but that's how it was last time I was there. But they love dogs. The comment made to me was they would rather have dogs and dog owners staying as they seem to be more responsible and respectful of the property than children (and some parents)!!!.

The dogs were given a welcome gift of cookies and there were bowls for them and a bed. We had 2 people and 4 dogs staying in one of the cottages. You are away from everything but only about 30-45min in to Lorne.

I really want to go back there!

Another place I've stayed is Maeburn Cottages in Metung. Basic, but again very dog friendly. Last time I was there we had 4 people and 10 dogs (most of the dogs slept in the dog trailers overnight), and there was no issue so long as we managed the dogs well and didn't cause upset to neighbours and other guests.

osusoy, Countrywide Cottages http://countrywidecottages.com.au/ 10 minutes from Winchelsea, half hr or so from Geelong.

This place is awesome and I believe would tick all your boxes. We have just returned today from our 6th most enjoyable time there. My husband and I and our Rottweilers have been holidaying there each year for several years now.

The place is a property of around 20 acres nestled in the Otway Forest. The main residence is at the front of the property and there are 4 gorgeous, well secluded cottages hidden away down the back in amongst all the trees.

We have stayed in 3 of the 4 cottages and now continue to stay in the Igloo.

Each cottage has it's own dog proof fully fenced backyard and the dogs are also welcomed inside. In fact they dogs are very well catered for. Di (host) supplies food and water bowls for each dog and home made treats. Your dog is can snuggle up with you in front of the fire at night if you wish. They provide sheets to cover the couch with for the dog.

Di is not breedist at all, she loves all dogs and welcomes any breeds. Di is very accommodating. I am not sure if she allows dog to sleep in the bed with you or not, but I am sure she would be very open to assisting you with a solution that will make you happy... perhaps you could take your own bedding?

We always visit mid week and rarely see anyone else there. Even when there are people staying in the other cottages, you don't see them because it is so secluded.

You can venture into the shared facilities if you wish or just do your own thing.

Let me know if you have any questions about this place.

We love it and will be going back again next year :)

wow! thanks all, i wasn't expecting so many friendly suggestions so quickly, looks like i came to the right forum :) i'll be sure to check each of the suggestions to see if they can meet our needs. it looks like i'll have to delay the holiday a bit due to work commitments but that simply gives me more time to check suggestions so please feel free to add other options you're aware of.

kelpiecuddles, no, Philip Island isn't too far but how secluded is the property? We live in Greensborough which is already a fairly dog friendly area but I'm really looking for "somewhere in the middle of nowhere" type of place away from people and noise where i can let Manix run around unsupervised as much as he wants without the risk of running into other dogs. I do socialize him with other dogs but being so tiny, it always has to be supervised as even a medium size hyperactive puppy could hurt him unintentionally. He actually gets along much better with old large dogs, he pays his respects and then they love and protect him. He spent most of puppy school hanging with the instructor's Rottweiler and he was 750g at that stage lol. This is him at the home office supervising my work :laugh:

post-51956-0-33936300-1399108597_thumb.jpg

Would Philip Island be too far? My aunt has a apartment type place they rent out for holidays there, it's a large loft type area with bed, kitchen, etc and very nice, timber floors, etc, close to the beach, it's really lovely. It has it's own fully fenced small yard there for dogs. I know for sure dogs are allowed to sleep downstairs inside as I've stayed there with my dogs(who are big dogs and mostly outdoor dogs so I didn't need to ask about upstairs) but can check if they are allowed upstairs, they have a very much loved golden retriever who is very indoors dog so I'm sure that for the right sort of client they would be OK for indoors.

Would you mind forwarding me the details too? My dogs like to come indoors but happy to sleep in crates at night. :)

It's hard wading through all the PI properties, a lot that come up in a search as pet friendly, then have no details about pets allowed.

He actually gets along much better with old large dogs, he pays his respects and then they love and protect him. He spent most of puppy school hanging with the instructor's Rottweiler and he was 750g at that stage lol. This is him at the home office supervising my work :laugh:

Manix is gorgeous. My tibbies are the same with large dogs that are sensible, good natured & well socialized. Whenever we go to a doggie event, they snub any small dog (unless it's a fellow tibbie). And will relax visibly as if to say, "This is the one we like!' with a nice big dog. Funny, I always agree with their choice. Like a lovely big Rottie called Robbie. Or an ex-GAP rescue greyhound.

Hope you & Manix find the perfect place to stay.

I just messaged my aunt to get the property details and this is the reply she sent :)

Hello! Inside dogs are fine, non rate needed, just bedding. Unless they prefer crates or are worried they may be a bit naughty inside a new environment. Some people bring crates to be safe www.islandviewsurfbeach.com.au

She also said it's cheaper if you contact her directly rather than through the site, I'm just finding out the best contact method. :)

ETA: She said to send a message to the email address on the site rather than trying to book through a booking service.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Wow love the look of Best Friend :)

Must be a beautiful place as it is for sale in one of my recent dog magazines for well over the 2 million $ mark from memory.

Edited by BC Crazy

Wow love the look of Best Friend :)

Must be a beautiful place as it is for sale in one of my recent dog magazines for well over the 2 million $ mark from memory.

They have won Best Dog Related Tourist Destination a couple of years in the MDBA Dog Owners Choice Awards and Nominated again this year - that's where Id go.

It is absolutely a brilliant place to stay. We have been there twice and are planning on going back again.

There is a great swimming hole a short walk away

IMGP2635_zps3ebb5444.jpg

IMGP2731_zps9c275e10.jpg

Great fenced yards to play zoomies and chase giant balls

IMGP8687.jpg

IMGP8686.jpg

IMGP8660.jpg

The cabins are very comfortable with small fenced dog yards, and Yarram is only 10 minutes drive away.

Highly recommend staying here.

Best friends at Yarram loving place.

http://www.bestfriend.net.au/

That's the one I posted above is it good pirate?

Greyhound people I know have raved about it.

I've just sent them an email about details. They seem more dog friendly than places i've tried so far but need to find out whether they are allowed on the beds (site says they sleep inside but no mention of beds) and also the amount of seclusion. The site details suggests accomodation around a central communal area but maybe one of their cabins is further away. I'll post their response here when i get it.

It is absolutely a brilliant place to stay. We have been there twice and are planning on going back again.

There is a great swimming hole a short walk away

GP2635_zps3ebb5444.jpg.html'>IMGP2635_zps3ebb5444.jpg

IMGP2731_zps9c275e10.jpg

Great fenced yards to play zoomies and chase giant balls

IMGP8687.jpg

IMGP8686.jpg

IMGP8660.jpg

The cabins are very comfortable with small fenced dog yards, and Yarram is only 10 minutes drive away.

Highly recommend staying here.

Grumpete, that place looks like dog paradise.... I would love to holiday there with my dogs there. They would have a blast with that giant ball in that fabulous fenced run :)

Lovely photos of your gorgeous rotties too :)