Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tesslc

Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

264 posts in this topic

tesslc -

another suggestion to contact the breeder .. and yes, to cop any flak ;) Word gets around , and they may be very P'd off if they hear this news in Chinese whispers down the track.

Yes, I agree. Word can travel fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DobieMum   

The OP has come in here for help, not for flaming. She knows what's happened wasn't supposed too and she's making the best of a bad situation, a situation that is not original and sometimes happens no matter what precautions we put into place. She's had a lot of fantastic support and suggestions and I'm sure that's what she came to DOL for. I hope all goes well for you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP has come in here for help, not for flaming. She knows what's happened wasn't supposed too and she's making the best of a bad situation, a situation that is not original and sometimes happens no matter what precautions we put into place. She's had a lot of fantastic support and suggestions and I'm sure that's what she came to DOL for. I hope all goes well for you!!

Agree. OP it sounds like your new vet has a clue so that's good :) I hope it all goes well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rainy   

Wow you really have yourself in a spot of bother,

Im not a breeder so i cant give you any Whelping advice but i am in the same breed.

My advice, Contact your breeder Immediately! before they hear from someone else, cop the crap that they may throw at you then if they are good breeders the help that would follow.

You are bringing more pups in to a market that is flooded with both ANKC and BYB examples of the breed and really dose not need any more, you will struggle to find Good homes (your breeder may be able to help you here) i know pups that are waiting for their forever homes just because they are the wrong gender.

Desex the pups before they leave so your opps doesn't pass down the line.

If you are not going to show your dogs Desex both or one of them also or fix your ability to keep them apart so it doesn't happen again.

Good luck i hope your girl comes though this ok but the pups are going to be a huge drain on what is essentially a puppy herself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your situation I would de-sex/abort even at this late stage, IF I could find a vet to do so as I can understand it must be very traumatic for all. I have had a litter born 10 days early, all survived, so a week out they would certainly be born alive.

Do you know how many pups she is having - for this you will need an x-ray from a decent machine & a good vet to read the results.

Make absolutely positively sure you know where you can go for GOOD repro help in the middle of the night - (it's always the middle of the night). Make sure you know what clinic is open when, how much it will cost and that you have the money available up front. For an emergency clinic budget anywhere between $1500 and $3000 but make sure you KNOW.

If she has more than 2 or 3 pups, I would strongly suggest you consider culling the litter down to this number - firstly because it's virtually impossible to find responsible homes for Stafford pups and secondly because she will manage better with just a few.

I find it curious that your dogs are tested clear of L2 & HC - why would you bother to DNA test a bitch you never planned on breeding from?

:eek:

me too....

Best of luck OP - I wouldn't want to kill the pups either :(

No drama from you when multiple people say abort/spay but wait a week so the bitch isn't subject to a risky op and it's suddenly not OK...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebanne   

You really should get this bitch an xray so you know what you are dealing with. And yes I support culling as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OSoSwift   

I would also suggest getting an xray so you have a clearer idea of how many she is having. If she has 2 and stops, is she only having 2 or can she not have any more? If you xray and she has 6 you know you need to get her to a vet ASAP.

I also suggest contacting the breeder. They may well be pissed off but best they hear it now and from you. They may also be your best support.

It is great to give a bitch her first season - as long as you have the required facilities. If you don't then desexing anywhere from 6 months of age is the best option. I recommend 12 months for mine - but if for any reason they cannot deal with a bitch coming into season then desex before. If one was mismated then I would recommend desexing as soon as they are off heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tesslc   

Thanks for everyone's advice regarding the whelping etc. I haven't been able to get hold of my breeder today but will keep trying.

Thankfully we have a couple of family members/good family friends who have indicated they would be happy to have one of the pups. If she has a small litter, we may be able to re-home all the pups to people we know well, which would be wonderful!

I have spoken to my vet and they have indicated they would be happy to de-sex the pups at about 8 weeks, prior to re-homing, which is great news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for everyone's advice regarding the whelping etc. I haven't been able to get hold of my breeder today but will keep trying.

Thankfully we have a couple of family members/good family friends who have indicated they would be happy to have one of the pups. If she has a small litter, we may be able to re-home all the pups to people we know well, which would be wonderful!

I have spoken to my vet and they have indicated they would be happy to de-sex the pups at about 8 weeks, prior to re-homing, which is great news!

I would be surprised if she does, staffies usually have bigger litters in my experience. Are you prepared to potentially pay for over 10 speys and castrations, vaccinations, microchips, worming, flea treatment and food? That's a hell of a lot of money. If it were me i would still pay for the mum to be desexed now. Much cheaper. But you will do what you will do :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to give my support for you and your dogs. Not an easy thing to be going through but even the bullies here have probably made mistakes but they are too proud to tell anyone.

Look forward to hearing about the birth :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..and I would be cautious about trusting a vet whose xray stuff is out of order- and who doesn't suggest trying another clinic ..or doing an ultrasound ..... :( Are there other vets around ? keep emailing/phoning the breeder - they may be able to help get an xray or something....

I would also suggest that those folks who are keen to get a puppy pay you a deposit - a couple hundred dollars to help cover desexing/vacc's . They may then have a slight change of mind ;) in which case you need to look further ! Do NOT give pups away . if people have to pay early - then they have an idea of what will be a part of their life ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
juice   

I agree with Pers, everyone wants a pup that is free, put $150 on the tag and they suddenly are not that keen, you need to weed out the ones that will dump it at the first sign of any effort.

Its not going to be cheap to feed and vaccinate pups either, mention that to anyone interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebanne   

Just wanted to give my support for you and your dogs. Not an easy thing to be going through but even the bullies here have probably made mistakes but they are too proud to tell anyone.

Look forward to hearing about the birth :)

excuse me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to give my support for you and your dogs. Not an easy thing to be going through but even the bullies here have probably made mistakes but they are too proud to tell anyone.

Look forward to hearing about the birth :)

excuse me!

Errr what?

I've been around this forum for awhile now, these types of calls for help always go the same ol' way. The OP is constantly made out to be some crazy dog monster.

Sure, some are mad but I'd say 99% are genuine people who aren't in the know-it-all dog scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rosetta   

In your situation I would de-sex/abort even at this late stage, IF I could find a vet to do so as I can understand it must be very traumatic for all. I have had a litter born 10 days early, all survived, so a week out they would certainly be born alive.

Do you know how many pups she is having - for this you will need an x-ray from a decent machine & a good vet to read the results.

Make absolutely positively sure you know where you can go for GOOD repro help in the middle of the night - (it's always the middle of the night). Make sure you know what clinic is open when, how much it will cost and that you have the money available up front. For an emergency clinic budget anywhere between $1500 and $3000 but make sure you KNOW.

If she has more than 2 or 3 pups, I would strongly suggest you consider culling the litter down to this number - firstly because it's virtually impossible to find responsible homes for Stafford pups and secondly because she will manage better with just a few.

I find it curious that your dogs are tested clear of L2 & HC - why would you bother to DNA test a bitch you never planned on breeding from?

:eek:

me too....

Best of luck OP - I wouldn't want to kill the pups either :(

No drama from you when multiple people say abort/spay but wait a week so the bitch isn't subject to a risky op and it's suddenly not OK...

I don't think I said I agreed with the abort/spay option either actually. I think the OP should spay after the pups are born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebanne   

Just wanted to give my support for you and your dogs. Not an easy thing to be going through but even the bullies here have probably made mistakes but they are too proud to tell anyone.

Look forward to hearing about the birth :)

excuse me!

Errr what?

I've been around this forum for awhile now, these types of calls for help always go the same ol' way. The OP is constantly made out to be some crazy dog monster.

Sure, some are mad but I'd say 99% are genuine people who aren't in the know-it-all dog scene.

and where was the OP made out to be some kind of crazy dog monster? Where was the bullying? Did you report it? Yeah right of course not cause there is nothing to report

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to suggest that if you are planning to give the pups to friends/family and can't afford all the desexing, etc yourself have the new owners pay the money to cover this cost direct to the vet, then before going to the new home the money is there and you just need to take the pup in for it's necessary vetting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nic.B   
I take it the OP means desexing the pups before they leave home, not desexing the dam.

That's how I understood it as well :)

Thanks, I can see how it could be read differently though Christina :)

I was reffering to the bubs and agree Mum needs some time for things to settle after weaning and bubs have moved into great loving homes.

I come from a rescue/welfare background and have only whelped a few litters under DOC where the females have arrived in late whelp.

I personally would not ever be able to abort a litter at this late stage unless there were major health or temp issues with the mother or major health issues identified in the unborn puppies.

Culling healthy, strong puppies delivered by a healthy, happy mother with no issues is beyond my (own) comprehension. I did see it done once when I was a child, it broke my heart, I will never forget it.

I have desexed/aborted prenancy (rescue) early stage and would do so again. It was simply my gut that told me to desex immediately, then there was the logic :laugh: entire female in season running the streets, picked up by rangers loose impounded for manditory time (7 or 14 days).

Quarentine and off to my Vet.

I was the only one in my year to refuse to disect any living creature in science 29 years ago (which was a huge deal!) I just could not even fathom the idea, it was simply not possible for me to do that.

What I am trying to say is that IMO it is really unfair to brow beat and hammer the OP re aborting and culling, esspecially when it is something she is clearly not comfortable in even considering.

I get that.

It will simply drive the OP away from great support and knowledge from very experienced DOLers.

For the OP; Please contact your breeder, accidental matings happen even for great registered breeders. I kid you not I have even had the horror of seeing two dogs tied through the fence during opening hours at an impound facility :eek:

Think about moving your male to your MIL's. Your girl (despite the fact they get along well even now) will not like him being around. She will want and need to focus on her puppies with no distractions it is also much easier for you.

Please read and take what resonates with you and leave the rest behind.

Lastly; If you need help or advice re early age desexing, homing etc there are heaps of awesome DOLers who can assist.

Just pick one and send a PM :rofl: Happy to help and support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I said I agreed with the abort/spay option either actually. I think the OP should spay after the pups are born.

Nothing in my comments suggests that you did agree with the abort/spay option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebanne   

What I am trying to say is that IMO it is really unfair to brow beat and hammer the OP re aborting and culling, esspecially when it is something she is clearly not comfortable in even considering.

Think about moving your male to your MIL's. Your girl (despite the fact they get along well even now) will not like him being around. She will want and need to focus on her puppies with no distractions it is also much easier for you.

One person suggested culling and another, me, agreed with it. How is that browbeating and hammering? I agree to not abort/desex the bitch now as it is too risky to the bitch but yes I would cull (browbeating and hammering cause I said it again)

Why are some so quick to say move the male dog off the premises? I, and others, don't get rid of all other dogs when a bitch whelp's and mine whelps in the loungeroom

Edited by Rebanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×