Cat Saves Child From Dog Attack

Aidan3

I was horrified by how quickly it all happened and amazed at the cats response. So thankful that the little boys injuries were not worse. I found the original uploader and below is part of the description on his video answering why the Mum did what she did.

Thank you, it's the only one that properly loaded for me

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. It is very scary. There was no growling or snarling. No hackles up.

:o I was caught out once like this - with a VERY large bull terrier , who I was photographing ..luckily he was on a chain ..and I had room to step back as it lunged :( I just didn't read him correctly ..

I knew I was in deep shit but had no where to go. I would much rather deal with a dog going off its head.

Aidan I can see the dog is focused on the bike/leg movement under the car but why did he go for the leg, not the bike? How early could you tell the dog was a danger? I wouldn't have known until damage was being done :(

It was predatory stalking, and legs are a natural target as taking the leg out immobilises the prey. There isn't any sound on the video, but the silence is a bit of a give away, coupled with the intensity.

It can be hard, though. Toby, my GSD, stalks other dogs when he sees them at a distance. At first it is hard to figure out what he's doing, but it quickly turns into calming or play signals (which most people miss, so I usually call him to me if we don't know them).

The dog that attacked me and my dog acted in the same manner. It is very scary. There was no growling or snarling. No hackles up. Just trot across the road and bang.

It's always the quiet ones that worry me the most. The only dogs I've ever been in trouble with are the silent or very quiet ones.

Yes its interesting. Some dogs put on such a massive aggressive display with lots of noise, and hackles and teeth baring. But the times my dog has actually been bitten have been more quiet.

I wonder whether there is a difference in behaviour between a predatory attack versus a 'you're in my territory' attack. Obviously it wouldn't make sense to be too noisy for a predatory attack as it warns the 'prey'.

But gees, what an awesome cat :thumbsup:

I don't think the mum did anything too wrong leaving the boy for a minute to check the dog could not come back. Isn't removing any more potential dangers one of the first things you're meant to do in an emergency situation?

Some dogs put on such a massive aggressive display with lots of noise, and hackles and teeth baring. But the times my dog has actually been bitten have been more quiet.

thinking ....

the displays of noise & strength enable an intruder to watch and think ,and decide if a fight is worth it -- or if just leaving quietly is a better option .

A hunting stealth mode does not intend to offer a choice to the intended prey - there is but one outcome planned ....

The mother wasn't trying to draw the dog away, she wanted to stop the dog from returning to the boy not be a decoy. The explanation has been posted earlier in the thread.

I read that - but she was also putting herself in the danger zone - without the boy ... she made sure he was able to get to safety ..so, she was sort of a substitute prey ....

Not her motivation though, her intent was to control the dog not distract it, I don't think we can create a different scenario when the facts have been laid out. I know I sound pedantic but we have been told what she did and why, from the source.

fairynuff ... however , in my confused way of thinking , whenever a parent leaves a child in comparative safety,then instinctively faces a danger which threatens their child ..they are naturally a substitute/distraction - as the threat /danger has more chance of harming them than their offspring....

That may happen, the dog might attack her of course. Other animal species do it out of instinct but we have the benefit of an analytical mind and getting the dog contained or secured is much more effective than acting as a distraction, particularly when you can't fly away or run faster than the predator :laugh:

Still can't get over the cat's behaviour, just incredible especially how effective it was on a dog in full prey drive.

A cat I had in my twenties was very protective, including twice flying across the room to attack a housemate who was arguing aggressively with me. She was just a little tabby but she was very protective of her little family, even the dogs who were five times her size.

Edited by Diva

I'd love to see the point where the cat impacts in slow motion, I might have to go to the library to DL it, I have been seeing it on TV only.

It looks to me like the cat flips around and hits the dog away with a bum swivel - bit like a kung fu round kick, using the momentum to add power. One of our dogs does this when playing - runs straight at the target, does a last minute turn and KAPOW!

I think I'd be likely to at least see where the dog went before attending to the child too because if it was coming back for another attack and you were already on the ground with the child then you would both be in a powerless position. I suspect I'd want to pull that child inside a fenced yard or into the house (maybe even car if it was unlocked) as soon as possible to safely check the wounds. I don't think I'd run after the dog after it had left the scene (unless other children were playing and at risk) but who really knows what our instincts tell us to do until we are in that situation?