Cat Saves Child From Dog Attack

Aidan3

Aidan I can see the dog is focused on the bike/leg movement under the car but why did he go for the leg, not the bike? How early could you tell the dog was a danger? I wouldn't have known until damage was being done :(

It was predatory stalking, and legs are a natural target as taking the leg out immobilises the prey. There isn't any sound on the video, but the silence is a bit of a give away, coupled with the intensity.

It can be hard, though. Toby, my GSD, stalks other dogs when he sees them at a distance. At first it is hard to figure out what he's doing, but it quickly turns into calming or play signals (which most people miss, so I usually call him to me if we don't know them).

Thanks. I could see its intensity but I have only seen true prey drive in action in JRTs hunting rabbits. Though I've instinctively kept away from some of those still silent dogs that stare. I'll show this to OH so he can recognise when I say a dog can be scary without being loud.

From Sydney Morning Herald tonight:

Bakersfield police said the dog, identified as an eight-month-old Labrador-Chow mix, had been surrendered by its owner's family. It was in quarantine and would ultimately be put down.

Police spokesman Sergeant Joseph Grubbs said the dog's owners, who live in the same neighbourhood as the boy, said the dog did not like children nor bicycles. He did not identify the owner by name.

Only 8 months old!

Eta I just watched a couple more times and realise I missed the stop, turn, go stiff bit at the start.

Also that is a truly awesome cat. Everyone at the local meat raffle club saw it on the news and are talking about it!

Edited by Comrade Catdogs

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to be honest here, I developed an immense dislike of cats from a young age, after growing up seeing them stalk and kill so much of the native wildlife in the bush reserve behind our house, but holy crap - I have to take my hat off to this feisty kitty. What on earth would have happened if she hadn't intervened is too horrible to even contemplate. Obviously the mother was close by, but if she had been the one who had rushed in to try to get the dog off her child, it's highly likely the dog would not have released - in an intense attack like that, the dog is so focussed on the "prey" that it can be almost impossible to break their grip. Even if the dog had released, it probably would have savaged her instead.

That attack is truly one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen - what you would expect in that situation would be if the dog saw the movement under the car and went "hang on, what's that", runs around the other side of the car and then goes "oh, it's a kid on a bike, aren't I silly" and trots off or goes up and says hello, but the body language the dog displayed was horrifying to watch - even though it clearly saw and identified what the movement was, it fully intended to attack, and quite probably to kill. Thank God for that cat, is all I can say.

That dog certainly meant business. I think because it didn't have hackles up or anything and then was shaking its head was truly horrible. That cat was amazing!

I note they said the dog has been quarantined - is that a new term for put down?

I note they said the dog has been quarantined - is that a new term for put down?

Because they have Rabies in the USA they have to quarantine a dog for 10 days following a bite to monitor it for symptoms of rabies. I would imagine once that 10 days is up the dog will be put to sleep.

Lots of human emotion/interpretation here.... The cat didn't go " Oh no! my human is in trouble! To the rescue!!!!"

Cats are territorial. It would have been responding to a dog situation within it's home territory. Cat's can be bad ass in pursuit of their territory. If it was a guy running up and attacking the kid, most likely the cat wouldn't have responded. But a dog would have triggered the right territory fight response.

Also, the cat didn't run back to check on the kid, it was retreating under the car for protection while it regrouped and decided what action it should take next.. fight or flight

What a amazingly brave kitty :thumbsup: I saw this on the news last night & couldn't believe my eye's at fist.

I have not doubt that that cat saved that little boy's life. That dog really meant business & only 8 months old they say. Extremely scary aggression in one so young.

Loved the after video with the very lucky boy sitting on the lounge with his "hero" cat sitting beside him purring his head off. Just beautiful....

What a amazingly brave kitty :thumbsup: I saw this on the news last night & couldn't believe my eye's at fist.

I have not doubt that that cat saved that little boy's life. That dog really meant business & only 8 months old they say. Extremely scary aggression in one so young.

Loved the after video with the very lucky boy sitting on the lounge with his "hero" cat sitting beside him purring his head off. Just beautiful....

I felt uneasy watching the kid pull on the cats leg.

Geez I better watch that again then as i didn't see any leg pulling. Ouch !!!

Lots of human emotion/interpretation here.... The cat didn't go " Oh no! my human is in trouble! To the rescue!!!!"

Cats are territorial. It would have been responding to a dog situation within it's home territory. Cat's can be bad ass in pursuit of their territory. If it was a guy running up and attacking the kid, most likely the cat wouldn't have responded. But a dog would have triggered the right territory fight response.

Also, the cat didn't run back to check on the kid, it was retreating under the car for protection while it regrouped and decided what action it should take next.. fight or flight

As Debby Downer as it is, I have to agree.

Not brave, just a cat and the usual cat variety of self-interest. Big dog comes bowling in (close enough to be a danger to the cat), cat does what some cats will do: put up a fight and then scurry off somewhere to glower murderously at the offending creature.

I get that it can be tempting to apply human motivations (like bravery) to animal behaviour but I think by doing that, you're not seeing what really happened.

/DebbyDownerism

Geez I better watch that again then as i didn't see any leg pulling. Ouch !!!

Just a snippet of the actual video I saw which I can't find now.

Edited by Cody

she would be getting a two storey luxury cat run with tree trunks , solarium & hot & cold running mice ;)

:laugh:

Great cat, whatever motivation it had, kitty saved the day. :thumbsup:

I got chills watching the dog stalk the little boy, and the boy was standing still when the dog attacked. Frightening reality of what dogs are capable of.

Cody, I watched the interview of the little boy and his cat, I think he was gentle (for a 4yo who has mild autism), and just held the cats paw so it didn't get off the chair again, and the Mum was right there supervising, and stepped in. I reckon the cat would have have let it be known if it was getting hurt. Beautiful cat though.