Cat Saves Child From Dog Attack

Aidan3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering since first seeing this what the cat's usual reaction to dogs is and whether she would have chased off the dog whether the child was there or not, just because it would be interesting to know.

However, as Caz said, whatever the motivation that cat saved that little boy from a situation that without doubt would have been much worse had she not been there. Good kitty :)

Edited by Simply Grand

OH no a feel good story, lets all get all annoyed about anthropomorphising and make sure people don't get carried away now. Because cats and dogs do not and cannot care about humans they only care about themselves. Scientific tests prove it!

Every person I've spoken to in the last couple of days has seen this. Great cat but sadly some strongly anti-dog sentiments. They can suddenly turn? I think the owners of this pup and maybe the neighbours knew he was broken. It can't just suddenly appear from nowhere really?

Genuine questions?

However, as Caz said, whatever the motivation that cat saved that little boy from a situation that without doubt would have been much worse had she not been there. Good kitty :)

Couldn't agree more. The end justifies the means. Whatever were the trigger stimuli (the means) for the cat to act as it did, the specific behaviour interrupted the boy being savagely mauled by a dog. End product, less injury to the child.

And, while on the subject ... & the cautions not to impose human 'motivations' on the the cat (an animal). Go look at the literature on why some humans behave altruistically at the expense of their own safety, on behalf of others. Not quite as clear-cut as you might expect. A reminder that humans are evolved animals. Go read this article....at the end 'The Social Brain' bit. Scientist rightly refers to 'humans and other highly social animals ...'.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201212/the-evolutionary-biology-altruism

Edited by mita

:thumbsup: LOL oSo.

As I have said on DOL before, I am proud to be called anthropomorphic.

OH no a feel good story, lets all get all annoyed about anthropomorphising and make sure people don't get carried away now. Because cats and dogs do not and cannot care about humans they only care about themselves. Scientific tests prove it!

On the other hand, none of my dogs or my cat gave me breakfast in bed on Mothers Day :cry: .

Yes DA... Exactly ! I truly believe that dog could of taken that boys life. He wasn't stuffing about. He meant business.

Yep, I'm pretty sure if that dog wasn't stopped so quickly the child could have died from injuries/blood loss.

Eye-rollingly I saw a comment on line from someone that said

'That dog looks like a Rhodesian Ridgeback, they were bred to hunt lions in Africa. There is no place for these dogs in our society!!'.

Really?!

I don't think it matters why the cat did it, it still saved that kids leg.

I would go further and say that she probably saved his life.. No way would the boy's mum got the dog off him.

Not only that, the mother as well could have suffered horrible trauma if she did try.

Yes DA... Exactly ! I truly believe that dog could of taken that boys life. He wasn't stuffing about. He meant business.

Yep, I'm pretty sure if that dog wasn't stopped so quickly the child could have died from injuries/blood loss.

Eye-rollingly I saw a comment on line from someone that said

'That dog looks like a Rhodesian Ridgeback, they were bred to hunt lions in Africa. There is no place for these dogs in our society!!'.

Really?!

Well, considering the dog is a Lab x Chow, I''m pretty sure neither of those two breeds were bred for hunting in Africa.

I don't think it matters why the cat did it, it still saved that kids leg.

Yup. That's why I titled this post as I did. Don't need to read minds or make assumptions, cat did good.

There have been studies that dogs show empathy to humans.

really not sure about cats, but there are plenty of territorial protective killer attack cats in my neighbourhood. They will shoot out from their front yard to hook a dog in the face. And I used to live with a cat that required me to wear gum boots in the house because it's fave game was ankle hooking.

And it would not tolerate a boyfriend in its owner's bed. And I'm pretty sure not the only cat (or dog and the occasional parrot) that "protects" its bonded human from all comers. Pretty sure the human is in slavery/bondage to the animal as far as it's concerned.