Augustine Approved

Airedaler

All I can say is that I've done this - not by intention, but because I'd forgotten to re-order and had none to include with the meat/veggie (raw) component. Stools very swiftly returned to sloppy tar and things slipped backwards. But by all means try it if you wish to - sometimes there's only one way to find out. Must admit, I've stuck with what works as I just so don't want to go back to how things were and have to work through to get back on top of it (as "on top" as is possible) again.

I had tried the VAN supplement earlier (back way when). In general, I like and respect VAN products - fed them for my previous girl and she did VERY well on them. But the supplements didn't do anything to improve my current boy's symptoms, including sloppy stools and skin outbreaks. But every dog is different and maybe worth trying if you haven't before.

I'd just bought the 2.2 kg bag so we'll be feeding AA for while yet. I've fed VAN complete mix before with the skin formula and omega blend - he was on that before switching to AA. I haven't tried to just add VAN skin support and omega blend to a grain free diet. I've still got the 2.2kg bag of AA so I'll continue with plan A and feed that through for a full six weeks and then do the allergy & thyroid tests. We are only two weeks in to trialling the AA so anything could still happen with Vulcan.

I am however dissapointed to find the owner of the product is publically spouting (what I beleive to be) nonsense and after loosing someone to cancer recently it has really hit a nerve.

Did someone tell you to go and this diet and then do the testing? Usually you do testing whilst eating your normal foods. Ie you have to be eating gluten when you get tested for gluten intolerance.

Or do you mean you are going to add foods back in after the 6 weeks?

I had a very itchy dog and wanted to give him relief asap. AA was suggested, I read ingredients and decided it was worth a try. We've been through an elimination diet before, several years ago so know what most of his triggers are, however I suspect he has developed a sensitivity to something else in commercial kibbles.

I switchd to AA as I could do it faster than I could get tests organised. Now I think I should wait till his system gets used to the new AA diet before doing the testing i.e. 6 weeks (well, 4 now). My priority was and is releiving his discomfort, which the AA seems to have done very well to date. Then ethical dilemma above came up.

If your dog is having loose, dark, sticky stools on raw, it's going to be one of two things- too much liver or not enough bone. If adjusting the diet doesn't work, it's possibly bleeding in the upper GI tract and should be seen by a vet. In my years of feeding raw, with all the different things I've tried (including supplements), I've never seen any herbal/food-based supplement that affected stools in any obvious way.

That is good to know Maddy, thanks for sharing!

I haven't read this right through but just have to add that one of my dogs with an environmental allergy has stopped biting her feet and scratching her tummy since being on the AA Super Boost for just over a week. Fingers crossed

It's only been 2 weeks for us, but itching has reduced dramatically here too. Not gone altogether, but definitly better! Fingers crossed here for you!

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As distasteful as the owners viewpoints are, if the supplement is helping your dog then it is probably best if you can try and ignore the rest of the crap and just focus on your dog's health.

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would just bring you all up to date re my girl.

Sadly her condition deteriorated dramatically over the weekend and today she was PTS. :cry: She was an absolute delight to me for almost 9 years, from the moment I whelped her and I shall miss her terribly but I could no longer let her go on struggling with life as she was.

Unfortunately we will never know exactly what the problem was or what caused it but we do know no amount of love and care was making her better. :rainbowbridge:

Hi Everyone,

Sadly her condition deteriorated dramatically over the weekend and today she was PTS. :cry: She was an absolute delight to me for almost 9 years, from the moment I whelped her and I shall miss her terribly but I could no longer let her go on struggling with life as she was.

Unfortunately we will never know exactly what the problem was or what caused it but we do know no amount of love and care was making her better. :rainbowbridge:

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear this.

Full credit to you for trying so valiantly to help her. Your love would have truly been a shining light in her pains.

Dear Girl, Be free now.

Hugs and Love to you, Airedaler. You proved your own loyalty to your baby.

:rainbowbridge:

Hi Everyone,

So sorry, Airedaler :(