When You Stay In Dog Friendly Accommodation

sheena

When staying in dog friendly accomodation  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your dogs on the beds

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

One of the places I stay at has $10k couches! I didn't even want to sit on them :laugh:

Well...that's the thing....I would also like to make it "pretty" & I am not sure if "pretty" can co-habitate with dogs allowed on beds & furniture. I also want to have an enclosed area where dogs can exercise off-lead & enclose the agility field so dogs can practice. Every where else on the farm would have to be on-lead because of cattle & wildlife. Exception being for practicing their dock-diving off the jetty .

By the way...you are invited Jules...along with everyone else who has said that they would promise to keep the dogs off the bed & the furniture :)

What an incredible shot!!!!!

Yes...it is an amazing shot. That is our mad keen dock diver, Cricket. But now the dam is about 8 feet below the jetty, because of the drought & the water is starting to muddie...but that doesn't dampen his enthusiasm one bit :laugh: There is no way we could take this guy to a headland with the ocean below...I am almost certain he would jump off :eek:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the places I stay at has $10k couches! I didn't even want to sit on them :laugh:

Well...that's the thing....I would also like to make it "pretty" & I am not sure if "pretty" can co-habitate with dogs allowed on beds & furniture. I also want to have an enclosed area where dogs can exercise off-lead & enclose the agility field so dogs can practice. Every where else on the farm would have to be on-lead because of cattle & wildlife. Exception being for practicing their dock-diving off the jetty .

By the way...you are invited Jules...along with everyone else who has said that they would promise to keep the dogs off the bed & the furniture :)

Yes...it is an amazing shot. That is our mad keen dock diver, Cricket. But now the dam is about 8 feet below the jetty, because of the drought & the water is starting to muddie...but that doesn't dampen his enthusiasm one bit :laugh: There is no way we could take this guy to a headland with the ocean below...I am almost certain he would jump off :eek:

Last off topic question (for this thread) do you compete in dock diving with him?

Last off topic question (for this thread) do you compete in dock diving with him?

No...he's suicidal :laugh: plus there is no competition like that around where I live. I would also be a bit wary of dock diving as it seems the dog jumps off & up to get a toy before crashing into the water. This way, Cricket has worked out the best way of entering the water. He goes in front feet first like a diver. I would be worried that dock divers just crash into the water :( I might be wrong, its just what I have seen on TV from America.

Absolutely not. Even if it's dog friendly accommodation, if it is the desire of the owners that dogs not get on the furniture then there's no way I'd allow it. It's people who think they are above the rules that have made it so hard to find decent accommodation when travelling with dogs.

I've only ever stayed at one dog friendly holiday house with the dogs about 5.5 years ago now. Everything was supplied for the humans & dogs except food. The only stipulation was if your dogs were used to being on the furniture to bring your own covers, which I did. Tilba was only 10 mths old at the time & was used to sleeping in her crate. It also stated that the yard was dog friendly, but with a border collie & a larger cross bred dog, no it wasn't. One fence was only large holed chicken wire about waist height. So I couldn't let them outside without me. I think we left it cleaner than when we arrived although it was spotless when we did arrive.

I've seen lots of places advertised as dog friendly but dogs are to sleep outside on a covered verandah or dog run. These I avoid, my dogs are used to sleeping inside & would bark & carry on if not allowed to be with us.

I would stay at places that said dogs allowed inside but not in bedrooms, carpeted areas etc. That's fine, they would sleep in their crates so as not to wander through the night.

Coming home from the 1st BC Nats we did stay overnight at a motel & told the owner we had a dog. He said ok as long as she didn't come inside due to health regulations. Got to say it was the oldest, most dilapidated motel I've ever stayed in, but Tilba was happy to sleep in her crate in the car. The next morning the owner complemented me on my quiet dog.

can't reply on the poll but my answer is - whatever the rules are. If they are allowed in side, on the furniture then that's where they are, allowed inside but not on the furniture they are crated, not allowed inside they sleep in the car or trailer. Pretty easy really.

Pretty much!

• 8 months later...

It is finally becoming a reality :thumbsup: We are going to build it ourselves with the help of an engineer friend who is going to do up the working plans etc.& help us with the construction. It will be entirely run on solar & gas & will have a composting toilet. Entry to the bathroom will be outside the main cabin, still attached, but at the end of the verandah. For two reasons....I am not completely convinced that there are no problems with waterless toilets, & also so that anyone else camping there will be able to use the facilities too. We have had the caravan parked down there for 3 months & spent many nights in it, getting the feel for what we want. There is a concrete pad for the caravan & a camp fire. Water will probably be gravity fed 500 meters from our house to save having a water pump. I am going to deck it out inside, real pretty, but guest will have to be prepared to conserve power...so no toaster & kettle will be stove top. All lights will be LED. It has a main bedroom with a queen & single bed & another single bed in the living area. I was going to have bunks, but I think they are pretty unsafe. It will mainly be for family, but we will probably consider short stays by people that we can trust not to let the dogs on the bed, or have wet dogs inside. There is a huge dam nearby & agility park. We also have to be guaranteed that no dogs will be allowed to chase the livestock or the native animals :( The cabin will have a fence around it to keep the cows out & the dogs in. To say I am getting excited, would be no exaggeration :laugh:

This is where the caravan is & the cabin is going to go just outside the reach of the trees...

P1020629-Copy-Copy_zpsc4cd203b.jpg

I also follow whatever the rules say.

I have been in both the yes and no categories.

A bit OT, but the last place i stayed at, the dogs were not allowed on furniture, but were allowed inside, so i crated them in the room of a nightime.

When we left, we had apparently left some sand on the outdoor bar table (about 5foot high), would have been from placing leashes and kids sand buckets down i suppose, and we got an email from the people pretty much yelling at us for allowing dogs on the table!!

Firstly who lets their dog on a table? Secondly, how would my small breed dogs get up there?

So i sent a very polite email telling them that maybe they shouldn't be listed as child and dog friendly if they cannot cope with the small amount of sand from some buckets.

thing is i even swept and wiped down tables and floors, and started their washing for them. I didnt see any 'piles of sand' anywhere. Oh well. Wont be going back there!

Edited by denali

It is finally becoming a reality :thumbsup: We are going to build it ourselves with the help of an engineer friend who is going to do up the working plans etc.& help us with the construction. It will be entirely run on solar & gas & will have a composting toilet. Entry to the bathroom will be outside the main cabin, still attached, but at the end of the verandah. For two reasons....I am not completely convinced that there are no problems with waterless toilets, & also so that anyone else camping there will be able to use the facilities too. We have had the caravan parked down there for 3 months & spent many nights in it, getting the feel for what we want. There is a concrete pad for the caravan & a camp fire. Water will probably be gravity fed 500 meters from our house to save having a water pump. I am going to deck it out inside, real pretty, but guest will have to be prepared to conserve power...so no toaster & kettle will be stove top. All lights will be LED. It has a main bedroom with a queen & single bed & another single bed in the living area. I was going to have bunks, but I think they are pretty unsafe. It will mainly be for family, but we will probably consider short stays by people that we can trust not to let the dogs on the bed, or have wet dogs inside. There is a huge dam nearby & agility park. We also have to be guaranteed that no dogs will be allowed to chase the livestock or the native animals :( The cabin will have a fence around it to keep the cows out & the dogs in. To say I am getting excited, would be no exaggeration :laugh:

This is where the caravan is & the cabin is going to go just outside the reach of the trees...

That is awesome Sheena!

If the rules say no then I wouldn't. All the dog friendly places I've stayed at however don't have a rule about it and provide covers for the furniture, which I appreciate. Though at the last place I stayed I didn't let her on the bed anyway just because it was too high and I was worried about her jumping off in the middle of the night. To be honest if a place had really strict rules about what my dog can or cannot do I simply wouldn't book the place.

This.

Someone on a local FB dog group was asking this same question (for the same reason) and what SC said basically sums it up for me. Holidays should be fun, not spent worrying about where the dogs are every minute. If the place in question wasn't actually dog friendly (as opposed to allowing dogs to stay but with heaps of conditions), I'd just find somewhere we could actually be comfortable.

And as I mentioned in that other group.. I'd be more worried about what other people had been doing in that bed. Dog germs don't bother me, bodily fluids from other people.. :vomit:

What an amazing spot to stay :)

The one thing I look for is a fenced off area. Mine are great with fencing so it doesn't have to be tall, escape proof fencing, but a reasonable fence so they can tonkle around without me having to have eyes peeled in three directions is great. I would take my crate for the dogs, but would prefer they could be inside as otherwise they would be noisy little boogers.

A friend of mine who has run a great pet friendly B and B in the Adelaide Hills for years (sadly she is selling at the moment after the death of her husband frown.gif) , says 'going dog friendly' was the best thing she ever did. Apart from no end of bookings, she says the 'dog people' were the best guests - the only people who trashed the place in 15 years were non-dog people. She said she has never had any problems with dogs staying and their owners in all those years - her theory is they are so grateful to have somewhere to go with their dogs that they are extra careful.

So I took all my furniture covers and rugs for the westies when I went there and yes they were on the covered furniture. And you wouldn't know we'd been there (except for the rather empty fridge at the end of the weekend embarrass.gif). I

tend to choose places with reasonable pet guidelines rather than rules, that are genuinely pet friendly - not 'pet friendly' but with a thousand rules - and certainly not the 'outdoors only' type. And I've always been invited back. smile.gif)

Edited by westiemum

I don't allow my dogs on the beds at home, so I certainly don't allow them on the furniture in places we stay. I have no problem with that. We need to make it as Eco-friendly as possible which includes not having to wash 3 doonas after each visit. We are afterall on tank water & it can be very precious. We would not be making any money out of this, just the pleasure of seeing other people enjoy themselves & it gives me a project. You are welcome Westiemum, Ososwift & Denali :laugh: There would be freshly laid eggs, bacon & freshly baked bread for all guests :)

This is the view from the front of the cabin. It will be going about where the black stump is. It has a large covered veranda on the forest side & the power poles are going :)

P1020727%20-%20Copy_zpsgpfpdcau.jpg

Edited by sheena

I have been honest and said yes I would allow my dogs on the furniture and bed because that is what they are used to at home and I would spend my whole stay trying unsuccessfully to keep them off. BUT, knowing this I would also be bringing my own furniture and bed covers and would not be taking any dirty or smelly dogs with me in the first place. Can't say if others care as much when they are breaking the rules? This issue is one of the reasons I don't travel with my dogs a whole lot. I want them to be comfortable as much as me if we are on holidays.

People travel with their dogs all the time in the UK and I've been in rooms behind them and not found smells or pet hair anywhere. I'm assuming more is charged for accommodation that pets have used because a more thorough clean after they leave is required.

I have been honest and said yes I would allow my dogs on the furniture and bed because that is what they are used to at home and I would spend my whole stay trying unsuccessfully to keep them off. BUT, knowing this I would also be bringing my own furniture and bed covers and would not be taking any dirty or smelly dogs with me in the first place. Can't say if others care as much when they are breaking the rules? This issue is one of the reasons I don't travel with my dogs a whole lot. I want them to be comfortable as much as me if we are on holidays.

People travel with their dogs all the time in the UK and I've been in rooms behind them and not found smells or pet hair anywhere. I'm assuming more is charged for accommodation that pets have used because a more thorough clean after they leave is required.

I would have no problems with people bringing their own doonas etc. Also I would expect people to be upfront with me beforehand on what they intended to do & if it sounded reasonable, then OK. :)

Edited by sheena

Given the dog owners that enter our property & what they think is acceptable at our place i wouldn't want to stay at a place that didn't have rules,People's ideas of acceptable is a very funny one,we have people that take there dog to pee on our BBQ,outdoor furniture ,front door & the list goes on .

I travel alot with showdogs & my dogs sleep on the bed but even if dogs are allowed on the beds they are crated /safe & secure with no risk of something happening to someone elses property ,i now far to many people pet owners included that do not respect pet friendly places & abuse the system to suit themsleves