"pet Only" - Not Registered Litters

CountryGirl

I've been in touch with a breeder about their litter of pups currently available. The advertising says the parents are both pedigree but the litter is being sold without pedigree registration. I have asked the breeder why this is and the response is that the pups are meant for pet homes not show homes. Can someone explain the logic behind a Registered Breeder refusing to register a litter from pedigree animals? Is it actually permitted? I've never purchased a pedigree pup before as I've always adopted via rescue groups or direct from the pound. So I'm puzzled as to why the litter wouldn't be Registered, even on Limited Register, and what it means if a litter doesn't get registration via the Kennel Club in question.

Thanks. I appreciate your replies.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain the logic behind a Registered Breeder refusing to register a litter from pedigree animals?

Lack of ethics :(

Is it actually permitted?

No - to the best of my knowledge it's now a requirement in all states that all pups in a litter are registered.

Sounds like a dodgy breeder who is best avoided!

The litter was bred in QLD, does that make a difference? It's being advertised as available in QLD and transport via a well-known transport company can be arranged at buyer's expense.

The breeder is representing themselves as an exhibitor...therefore I would assume KC registration not a BYB.

Ask them what were the results of the health tests for your particular breed ... (check what these are by asking on D O L here ;) ) Some breeds need tests for hips/joints..some for eyes, some for all sorts of things.

better still - find a breeder who will provide the assurances and information you need , with a pup whose parents have had relevant health tests ....

The litter was bred in QLD, does that make a difference?

Nope, doesn't make a difference - it's absolutely a requirement that all pups be registered in QLD - here's an excerpt from their rules/constitutions/COE

A member who breeds a litter of dogs, the parents of which are registered or eligible for registration with the

CCC(Q) or other recognised canine controlling body must:–

a. Register such litter including all of the living progeny in such litter at one and the same time within

12 (twelve) calendar months of the date of whelping. No litter will be registered after 12 months of age

without the approval of the CCC(Q).

Link to the document here: http://www.cccq.org.au/media/scripts/DownloadHandler.ashx?did=471

Edited by Allerzeit

They're no longer answering my questions. :( I've been accused of wasting their time by asking questions about their litter's lack of registration. They seem to have something to hide but I don't know enough about purchasing a pedigree vs non-pedigree pup hence asking questions of the breeder. It would seem this breeder has something to hide. Either they are Registered and not providing pedigrees for this litter for whatever reason, or they are NOT registered and pretending to be. In either case, I'd like to know what can be done about it, if anything? There are already enough dodgy breeders around aren't there?

They're no longer answering my questions. :( I've been accused of wasting their time by asking questions about their litter's lack of registration. They seem to have something to hide but I don't know enough about purchasing a pedigree vs non-pedigree pup hence asking questions of the breeder. It would seem this breeder has something to hide. Either they are Registered and not providing pedigrees for this litter for whatever reason, or they are NOT registered and pretending to be. In either case, I'd like to know what can be done about it, if anything? There are already enough dodgy breeders around aren't there?

Do you know the breeders Prefix? Report them for selling unregistered puppies to DogsQLD. Keep the emails as proof.

Ok - then that decision is made for you - don't deal with them anymore .

there is so much info on here .. let people know what breed you are after - and if there is anything particular you would like - a working/lapdog/showdog/jogger/dogsport/kid friendly type - and someone may be able to point you in the best direction :)

Is it being advertised on Scumtree? You can also report them there so that dodgy breeders don't taint the efforts of good breeders using the same website.

I'm not a breeder but I would assume if a potential customer asked me a genuine question and was interested in becoming more informed about how the breeding process works I'd answer whatever questions I could. I also don't think the question you have raised here is an unreasonable one when you are considering buying a live creature that you will have for at least a decade.

They were astute enough not to provide me with their prefix but I do have a name, assuming it's a genuine name. It's not a commonly kept breed for pet homes which is why I am so suspicious. I didn't see the ad on gumtree...they're advertising elsewhere and they "suggested" I come here for information. That concerns me as well.

Interesting that they suggested that you come on here for information - if they're a regular on here they would have to have known that the majority of people here would immediately raise the red flag!

Are they advertising the litter on Dogzonline (not the forum, but the main site)? If so, I would also report them to Troy, who is the site owner.

So I'm puzzled as to why the litter wouldn't be Registered, even on Limited Register, and what it means if a litter doesn't get registration via the Kennel Club in question.

When I lived in WA the repro vet I worked with told me he had a few clients who did back to back litters routinely (which he considered fine from the perspective of veterinary/reproductive health) and would sell the occasional litter without registrations to get around the rule in WA that says you can't have more than 2 litters in 18 mo from any one bitch.

Could be another such breeder.

Edited by sandgrubber

I don't think it automatically means they are a bad breeder unless it is contrary to the relevant KC rules. In NZ we don't have to register all the puppies and a lot don't. My last litter I registered 3 of the 4 puppies. I didn't register the 4th because the owners were not at all interested in whether the puppy had a piece of paper with a fancy name so I might as well save the cost of registering him. That puppy came from the same health tested parents and had exactly the same care and love that the other 3 had.

Seems to me Country Girl that you are trying to buy responsibly. Good for you.

Perhaps if you tell us what breed you are looking for, someone can steer you towards a decent breeder.

As for the other breeder? Forget them. No point investing time into talking about people like that.