Dr Harry - Dogs On The Bed

Simply Grand

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pup Sarge has been sleeping in my bed since he came here. As he's gotten older he will opt to sleep on the floor, on a thick mat [but doesn't last long as he gets too cold]. Scout tends to want to sleep on the floor [since the pup came and a bed rail was installed to stop the pup rolling out of bed lol]. But if I offer for him to come up he sometimes does [usually is when it's freezing cold and steam breath is happening in my room].

But always the dogs are welcome to sleep in the bed, by invitation. If they choose to sleep on the floor then so be it.

Our two toy poodles used to sleep in the bed with us, but I found it became difficult when we stayed with other people who weren't so keen on dogs in their spare beds :eek: Also, if we had house sitters, I didn't want them to be uncomfortable about the dogs sleeping with them. So we persevered to train them (the dogs not the house sitters) to sleep in their own beds firstly in our bedroom and then in the lounge room. So now they sleep quite happily in their own beds until early morning when they come in for a cuddle :thumbsup:

I think Dr Harry would find there are a great many more dogs who sleep outside that have issues, rather than those who are indoors and close to their pack.

That's what I was thinking too.

Mine are sometimes in my bed & sometimes where ever they want or where I put them depending on the weather.

No problems with them they are good & obedient.

Problem is that people assume he is the expert so they take notice. Quite scary sometimes.

Edited by Christina

I think Dr Harry would find there are a great many more dogs who sleep outside that have issues, rather than those who are indoors and close to their pack.

That's what I was thinking too.

Mine are sometimes in my bed & sometimes where ever they want or where I put them depending on the weather.

No problems with them they are good & obedient.

I think Dr Harry lost the plot a long time ago and has morphed into someone who not only believes his own publicity, but will say anything to ensure that publicity keeps on coming. And this can only be bad for animals.

Horrible Herbert had an eye to eye talk about this last night.

He conceded that since I am Momma, and feed him, and keep him warm, Dr Harry talks rubbish.

He then dived under the bedclothes & slept on my feet, making Boxer-like farts for the remainder of the night.

As you can imagine, it was pretty bad, given he is a Vizsla.

:rofl:

:eek:

An excerpt from Kathy Kopellis McLeod's "dominance - do's and don'ts

Beds and couches

These pieces of furniture don’t spoil

dogs; people spoil dogs. Access to beds

and couches doesn’t create aggressive

dogs.

There are plenty of aggressive dogs that

sleep on the floor and many well natured

dogs that sleep on beds.

The notion that in order to have a respectful relationship with

your dog one should not allow their dog on the bed or couch is

pointless.

Countless dogs that are allowed these privileges are well

behaved, responsive to commands, are attentive and will move

off when are told to do so without aggressive displays.

Despite the myriad of information available, your dog isn’t

plotting how to topple you off your throne.

Non-compliance is often due to

uncertainty or simply a lack of good

training.

Beds and couches

Photo source: www.photos.com

© Copyright 2013 Kathy Kopellis McLeod

Guest donatella

My little one sleeps on the bed as she can't get on and off and she will more then happily stay up and not move an inch for 12 hours. She sleeps on one side I sleep on the other, I wouldn't even know she was there! My bigger girl sleeps under the bed or in the lounge by her own choice, she can get on and off the bed as she chooses but doesn't like to sleep with us, suits me just fine!

I'd never sleep again if mine was in the bed :o I don't call him Dora the Snorer for nothing. He's allowed on the bed in the mornings, but preferably on washing day. He's often filthy!

The self-cleaning cat 1/5 of the dog's size is difficult enough to sleep with :laugh:

The Shitty Whippet not only sleeps on our bed but under the covers, between the OH and myself. If she's warm and comfortable, she settles better, which means more sleep for everyone. The Idiot Dog sleeps on the bed during the day and we've never had any problems with either of them plotting to overthrow us. Harry Cooper needs to lay off the happy juice.

Mine sleep where I put them. The issue is not with where they will sleep but if they do it willingingly and get off/out willingly. I already share with two Sphynx and a Husband. There isn't room for three Whippets - Sphynx hog a lot of space!