Is 3 Dogs Better Than 2?

Dame Aussie

We have three, all girls, by accident and not any careful planning. Two are desexed and their ages are 11.5, almost 7 and 2. We had a very unexpected fight between the younger two over a year ago, over a snake in the yard but worked hard to address that and things are great between them all - no jealousy or food aggression or competition for human attention.

I have had three dogs for so long that anything less feels weird. I don't find three dogs any more difficult to manage than two even though there are some slightly different routines, diets, etc required due to their varied ages. And they all have different personalities and temperaments which is possibly easier to manage than if they were all alike You can still fit three dogs on the bed at the same time and overall three just seems like a lot more fun!

On the down side you need to have somewhere to store all your doggy goodies in bulk - spare bedding, blankies, coats, leashes/harnesses, washing gear, towels, toys, bowls as well as all the food and treats!

We had 4 for a couple of years (3 mine 1 OH) until the 2 seniors passed away leaving 2. My oldest BC girl was best friends with the Brittany pup so they naturally grouped in pairs.

In many ways 2 dogs was easy and we took them on holiday for 2 and a half weeks around the south island which I would not have done with 4.

BUT as one was mine and one was OH someone was often getting left alone. I looked after my friends dog for a few days and really enjoyed the 3 again. So after 10 months of 2 dogs we got puppy Kep and I am happy again with 3.

My husband wants a second Brittany in a year or so, so we will be back up to 4, 2 each this time. I think that will work well as they will be in pairs.

Many people have said to me that 2 or 4 is better than 3 as with 3, 2 might pair up to play etc and someone is left out.

3 would be unmanageable for me - i have two, 56kg and 35kg and can't walk two together anymore.

To have three (which would be nice) I'd have to get a new car AND move to a place with more run/play space ...

Also, my current two are very compatible and i wouldn't mess with the dynamic.

Only you can really say if three dogs is better than 2; it's an individual thing. Perhaps foster a dog with a temperament you'd be looking for and see how you go :)

My combo of 3 is great at the moment but 4 is my ideal. I'd probably only go up to 5 again if one or two of them were elderly.

Fostering is a great idea, plenty of greyhounds out there that need foster homes :provoke:

I would love a third, an older grey but Maddie is a biatch and three won't fit in the Getz so that's out the door :(

I will probably get a 3rd (BC of course) in about 3 or 4 years time, as my girl will then be about 11. I do think that 3 will be a lot more work, with grooming etc, not to mention the cost of applying Advantix every two weeks throughout the year. OH thinks it will be a lot more difficult travelling & camping with 3 BC's....& I know he is right. I have my next breeder picked out, but we will wait & see, how we feel when the time comes. Also, I think I would like another girl, but I don't want to put Bindi's nose out of joint either.....so not a decision to take lightly. :confused:

I noticed the difference when I first went from 2 dogs to 3. The extra dog made it feel like I had a lot more dogs. Now I have 10 so .. Lol. If I just wanted pets I would probably have 2 larger dogs and 2 iggies. I would feel odd having less than 4 now I think .

Interesting thread :) we currently have two and I would love a third, but as you said Riverstar, it's a bit of a battle between head vs heart.

We have a Saint Bernard and a Bernese Mountain Dog, and I want another Saint. In a year or so there will be a mating that I have lusted after for a long time! I'm desperate to have a pup from that mating to show (and have already been promised the pick male - the breeders are my dear friends.)

I'm trying to weigh up all the pros and cons! All would be entire males. (Actually I could probably desex my Bernese as he is no longer shown but he doesn't "need" it, he doesn't have any bad behaviour associated with being entire.) Adding a third, once he matured, I'd have over 200kg of dog on my hands! I don't walk my two at the same time as it is unless OH is with me. We have a 4 berth dog trailer as of recently, so transportation isn't an issue. Obviously there are extra costs with adding a third (especially a giant). I want one sooooo badly haha! But my head keeps telling me to stop being so ridiculous :o

Only you can really say if three dogs is better than 2; it's an individual thing. Perhaps foster a dog with a temperament you'd be looking for and see how you go :)

My combo of 3 is great at the moment but 4 is my ideal. I'd probably only go up to 5 again if one or two of them were elderly.

Fostering is a great idea, plenty of greyhounds out there that need foster homes :provoke:

I would love a third, an older grey but Maddie is a biatch and three won't fit in the Getz so that's out the door :(

I would love to foster a grey!

We have three dogs at the moment, two girls and one neutered boy.

Our male gets along with everyone, but our two girls have had a couple of fights in the past, and so we have to keep them separated now. Since we only live in the suburbs on an average sized block, life has definitely gotten harder. On a bigger block I'm sure it would be easier to manage, but it can be frustrating when you let two dogs out together and the remaining one starts howling up a storm inside at the indignity of being left behind.

I also imagine that it depends very much on how easy each individual dog is to live with. Our oldest two are great. Unfortunately, our youngest is a terror child. She definitely disturbs the peace a lot around here. She has an unpredictable temperament, and a tendency to resource guard, and it's only that our male is so placid that there aren't more fights.

With three dogs and two humans, someone usually does have to get left out or left behind.

Personally, with the breed we have, and the kind of owners we are, I preferred it when we just had the two. It was a lot easier and I never felt like I was spreading my attention too thinly amongst them.

I would love No.3 BC but I am a bit worried I would

end up in the same shoes as you Yippeegirl.

My male would be fine with the new boy I would love to have but my girl is no social butterfly. She is very unpredictable. She may be fine but if she isn't all hell could unfold. She is not one to give up either. So I'm hoping as she matures ,she mellows some what & then maybe just maybe add no. 3. See how we go. :)

Had to edit as I am so fortunate, blessed even to have my guys who are the very best of friends anyway. I wouldn't want to risk it. Not fair on the newbie either.

Or upset my girl ... little miss precious :p

Edited by BC Crazy

I would love to foster a grey!

Well grab OH, take a day trip up to Seymour and visit the GAP kennels. They already come green collared so no muzzle worries and you get full support from GAPVIC. If nothing else you'll get to meet the lovely Doler Larissa and you'll get greyhound cuddles so that's a win :D

I have to say, even though I have three and they are good I am now going to seperate my bitch and two bots as they boys are entire get along brilliantly, the bitch who is now desexed and is a bitch and doesn't give any warning and nails one in particular. Lewis currenlty has four tooth holes in him from her nailing him. We are all over it. When all three are together the boys can't play as she won't let them. With her out they have a great time.