How Spoilt Are Your Dogs?

Dame Aussie

The OH just realised we'd run out of dog food and asked me if I thought the dogs would be ok having some chicken fillets from the freezer for dinner....

Now...I'm no dog, but if I was I reckon I'd be pretty ok with some (skinless) chicken breast :laugh:

This is indicative of how spoilt our dogs are! What about yours?!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. Dozer just got to lick the wooden spoon after I made cheese sauce. He also ends up with the occasional steak chopped up and frozen in a block of stock for hot days.

He'll also get to lick the ice cream bowls when we do have dessert.

Sometimes when we run out of mince for the dogs (human grade from Coles as one does), I find myself thawing out all our old steaks we purchased and never ate. I think they ate eye fillet once as I was really getting desperate.

Almost all the meat in our weekly shop is for the dogs :laugh: I once had a lady ask me what I did with four packets of turkey mince, and luckily she was a fellow dog lover although a few heads did turn when I said what it was for.

I wouldn't say our dogs are spoiled in the sense we dress them up in clothes and carry them around in handbags, but I think they are certainly more spoiled than the average dog I see around our suburb.

Scottie sleeps in the people bed - when he likes (usually during the day when we're at work). We leave the blinds open so he can sun bake.

He gets a "treat" from the discounted meat section of the freezer approx once a week (it was lamb chops this week - yum) well... we wont start on actual "dog food" but yes. Spoilt rotten.

Spoilt for me = given the best care and accessories I can possibly give (within reason). I don't dress them up or carry them around but they eat super premium kibble, have cozy beds, get lots of love and affection and are the centre of my universe (i'd say OH's too, but they probably share that spot with the Playstation 4)

I would put off a doctors visit for me, but will rush them to the vet the minute my gut instinct tells me something is wrong.

Henschke sleeps on an $1800 day bed, while Jindi sleeps between us. They get a chicken drumstick/lovely leg each day, the blinds are titled so they get the sun and they pretty much have free rein of the house every day.

Is that spoilt?

Not spoilt, they sleep inside (in crates), they get decent food, clean water, vet care when needed etc.

I'm not one to baby them, and talk like an idiot to them.

I guess Zig would appear spoilt to some but to me, I just look after him as best I can.

He eats good food, sleeps on the end of my bed, goes out a lot with me. I take him to obedience training, noseworks workshops, to the off lead park for fun and for walks. He also gets to come for drives to the shop or to friends places (where he is welcomed)..

He has a few toys but he is really only interested in tennis balls and tug toys.

He has a couple of awesome collar and lead sets (thanks to Ruthless).. But if I am bring honest, they are more my taste and what I like on him - he could just as easily be happy (and has one) in a cheaper version from the pet shop.

He goes to the vet when needed and sees a chiro (he has HD) each month to help keep him well aligned.

I don't think he is spoilt - I think I take good care of him.

Today's dog spoiling saw us trek out to Kepala and her finally go in the deep end of the pool and she just wanted to keep going back in.

une5uva2.jpg

And then we came home and she had some watermelon

gygaze9e.jpg

Then there's the rotating human bed schedule she has going on, more toys than 1 dog could need and she may own a bandana or two...

Jakes "speshul" he gets what he needs. It may look spoilt but he can't eat high fat food, he gets hand fed as part of his training. He sleeps with me on couch or bed because whilst initially he needed constant contact because of his anxiety, now he's got me trained and I just like having him close.

He still has discipline and he doesn't ever really try push limits. He wouldn't beg at table or anything rude. Whilst he's always with me he's not a pushy, attention seeking dog so it works. Just looks odd to other people.

Not spoilt, they sleep inside (in crates), they get decent food, clean water, vet care when needed etc.

I'm not one to baby them, and talk like an idiot to them.

Same here. They get two meals a day but spend most of the day outside.

I would say just very well looked after.

Jakes "speshul" he gets what he needs. It may look spoilt but he can't eat high fat food, he gets hand fed as part of his training. He sleeps with me on couch or bed because whilst initially he needed constant contact because of his anxiety, now he's got me trained and I just like having him close.

He still has discipline and he doesn't ever really try push limits. He wouldn't beg at table or anything rude. Whilst he's always with me he's not a pushy, attention seeking dog so it works. Just looks odd to other people.

Truly though, why do other people have to go overboard about how we relate to our dogs?

Obviously Jake is thriving, and that makes for a happy Momma as well as Jake himself.

Win-win, imo.

:thumbsup:

Spoilt for me = given the best care and accessories I can possibly give (within reason). I don't dress them up or carry them around but they eat super premium kibble, have cozy beds, get lots of love and affection and are the centre of my universe (i'd say OH's too, but they probably share that spot with the Playstation 4)

I would put off a doctors visit for me, but will rush them to the vet the minute my gut instinct tells me something is wrong.

I'm the same as this. I buy good quality stuff for him, but that stuff generally lasts longer. Ok I will admit that I also let him "pick" a toy at the pet store which he then proceeds to carry down to the counter biggrin.gif

But he has boundaries and certainly doesn't get to do what ever he wants and run rampant. People who let their dogs do whatever they like is what I would call "spoilt".