Snake Season Again :(

Kirislin

can you find the link to this one? I'd like to see it. Was it in Australia?

http://www.forbesadv...tten-by-public/

he had previously picked the snake up, and shifted it off the road ...

The snake was obviously a bit ticked off/confused. The man in question has learnt a lesson or three ;)

I have always stood stock still .. even when very young .. a snake was with me when I was watering the plants in Mum's fern house ..I stood still, and sprayed the snake gently with water ...kept it there & happy until someone despatched it.

Edited by persephone

For people in Adelaide, a friend had a snake in his backyard in Marion last week and another friend had one in their backyard in Happy Valley over the weekend. Both suspected to be browns and about a metre long. Well kept backyards too, short grass, no rubbish etc. Please be vigilant!

I love snakes........when they are in the bush happily doing snakey things. I dislike them intensly when they come aound the house/dogs/kids!

I KNOW I wouldn't/couldn't stand still if there was a snake under my feet. More than once I have had a close encounter and I am moving rapidly backwards for a number of seconds before my brain catches up to tell me why! Its instinct for me to remove myself quickly!

Edited by OSoSwift

For those considering those electronic/ultrasonic snake repellants...

This was posted on a Show FB page today:

post-430-0-02931800-1414396425_thumb.jpg

From a bit of a survey I have done amongst some of our clients who live on acreage or adjacent to open paddocks, the snake repellants seem to be only as good as the person who installs them & checks them weekly to make sure they are working properly. They have to be pushed home into the ground, not standing proud as in the photo. I'm told it helps to water around them to keep the ground moist & to make sure the body of the device is in contact with the ground.

However..... we have elected not to build on our acreage but to reside in town on half an acre. Being vigilant for snakes for 7 months of the year is too much hassle, the cattle & horses are enough work in themselves, but we have been fortunate enough to lose neither to snake bite in fifteen years.

Used to always get snakes in the suburbs [lived across from a park with a creek]. With all the tin fencing it was hard for them to move around so they'd hang out more in the backyards.

On the farm here, do see them occasionally sunning themselves near the house. Had a few run ins with feisty browns. But in 17 years so far so good [touch wood].

We are on 5 acres, but when we were living in the centre of town we STILL had snakes in our backyard. There is just no escape from them! :cry:

The biggest risk with snakes is when you decide to attempt to kill them..... they get a tad upset about that!

Vigilence and preparedness is the only answer, and obviously that is not too effective either.

Di

I think, although I'm not certain, that if I saw a snake again in my backyard here, I would probably lock all the dogs inside and then don some gumboots and turn the garden hose on it HARD and try to steer it out of the yard. I could kill it but it's probably one of many that I dont see. I'm not worried about them for myself, it's just the dogs. Tag's the one who might attack it and then egg the others on as well. The whippets I had before this lot had an instinctive fear of them so I never had to worry, they'd keep away.

So sorry for the loss of your dog, its so sad to lose a pet like this.

Im a great believer now in shade cloth as a deterant for snakes. If you have a run or an area that you can enclose with shade cloth.

Stay safe this Summer guys and remember its dangerous and illegal to kill snakes, not to mention cruel and inhumane if you decapitate one.

Very slow and terrifying death for a decapitated snake.

Take care

Baz

Snake Catcher Victoria

Sympathy for Dash's owner, such a very sad loss.

Not sure about the water treatment, snakes love water, frogs are their staple food, before mice even. The snake might side-step but think mmmmm nice wet spot to come back to.

I haven't seen the big brown one camping under the quail pen for a few weeks, I'm hoping the guinea fowl posturing around have made it uncomfortable enough to move on. It's been a pain/nightmare managing the dogs because Frodo is now close to blind and deaf, but gallops around like a yearling pup. Both he and Rheneas have been struck at in the paddock by snakes and are both afraid and respectful which is good, but Frodo is losing the plot of being aware of his surroundings to keep safe.

This snake (touch-wood) has never looked aggressive, just annoyed-nervous and wants to be left in peace. Last encounter I was leading a pony and stuck between the laneway fence and chookpen, snake was all underfoot, pony was expanding to Clydesdale size and weight, snake was all around at speed of light looking for the escape route. The upside is that the mouse population has gone down to about zero which is great, and they are no longer taking quail eggs or attacking quail hatchlings at night.

Perrin that is a super photo, you can see all the power of it.

Edit to add. - just saw your reply Catcher - thanks for the shadecloth advice - I was briefly thinking of bird-netting around quail pen when I was a bit desperate, for sure opted against it for all the reasons.

Edited by PossumCorner

So sorry for the loss of your dog, its so sad to lose a pet like this.

Im a great believer now in shade cloth as a deterant for snakes. If you have a run or an area that you can enclose with shade cloth.

Stay safe this Summer guys and remember its dangerous and illegal to kill snakes, not to mention cruel and inhumane if you decapitate one.

Very slow and terrifying death for a decapitated snake.

Take care

Baz

Snake Catcher Victoria

It wasn't my dog, it belonged to a friend. I'm not one to kill snakes, I'm generally on the side of the snake and have re-located several. I have to ask though about your statement of a slow and terrifying death for a decapitated snake. Wouldn't it be dead immediately if you chopped its head off? :confused:

I used shade cloth on my cat run, the bonus is you can bury it nice and deep in sand and it won't rot off like the mesh will rust off if buried into sand. Shade cloth will rot in time as all stuff does but burying it into the ground seems to have no affects on speeding that up.

We have lots of snakes and so far I have managed to avoid disaster, there have been some close calls. And yes it is cruel to take a snakes head off and leave it to die slowly. For some reason around here we seem to have a few with 3 snake bites in our area since the start of the year and 16 in WA so far from memory.

I

have to ask though about your statement of a slow and terrifying death for a decapitated snake. Wouldn't it be dead immediately if you chopped its head off?

No Kirislin, Snake Catcher shared some stats etc last year and studies have shown that the snake has brain actvity for up to 20 minutes after being decapitated. So if a snake MUST be dispatched it should have immediate major head trauma not just take its head off.

Edited by OSoSwift

For those considering those electronic/ultrasonic snake repellants...

This was posted on a Show FB page today:

post-430-0-02931800-1414396425_thumb.jpg

Please tell me where you got this pic

It looks like someone placed the snake there.

Electric fences don't work if you don't put some water around the earth stake either, so I'm not surprised people say they don't work if they don't remember to do it.