Breeder Concerns - Desexing At 8 Weeks

Kokoro

With english cocker spaniels you don't just have the growth to worry about but they will never get a proper sleek adult coat desexed at that age.

Our cocker was desexed before 16 weeks and has a dense and woolly coat which requires regular clipping and gets knotted very easily. Although one advantage is that he is a very low shedder

Obviously it doesn't affect him that much but if you like the breed because of their coat I would be finding another breeder, there are plenty out there.

here is my guy at his woolly stage

null_zps4a1e9fb2.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our tibetan spaniel was desexed at around 9 weeks before he came to us. He had a hernia that was repaired at the same time. He is definitely leggier than our tibbie girl who was desexed at 3 years after her last litter. Her legs are much shorter and stockier but it could also be because she is more true to breed standard being a show dog. Our boy was sold as pet only. He has had no complications from early de sexing.

With english cocker spaniels you don't just have the growth to worry about but they will never get a proper sleek adult coat desexed at that age.

Our cocker was desexed before 16 weeks and has a dense and woolly coat which requires regular clipping and gets knotted very easily. Although one advantage is that he is a very low shedder

Desexing will alter the coat no matter what age they are desexed.

I would not buy from a breeder who desexes babies, they need their hormones to grow and develop properly.

Desexing will alter the coat no matter what age they are desexed.

I would not buy from a breeder who desexes babies, they need their hormones to grow and develop properly.

I've groomed many desexed cocker spaniels and work in cocker rescue, coats vary a lot. Collie would probably be the worst I've come across, the better coats usually come from dogs that were desexed at 12 months or older

Edited by Leah82

Ask the breeder to consider a vasectomy instead of removing the testes. The pup will still be infertile but retain an important source of growth hormones.

Breeders go for EAD to protect their dogs from unscrupulous breeders. However I'd not buy a pet desexed that young.

Vasectomy is the middle ground.

At the I Love Dogs Show last Sunday, I asked one of the Vets about vasectomy.

The reply was no Vets do not do this in Australia.

This was not for desexing at a young age either.

I ended the conversation.

That's bullcrap, my vet will and it costs the same as desexing at the same age

Ask the breeder to consider a vasectomy instead of removing the testes. The pup will still be infertile but retain an important source of growth hormones.

Breeders go for EAD to protect their dogs from unscrupulous breeders. However I'd not buy a pet desexed that young.

Yep it's definitely done, just not all clinics will do it. Ask if the breeder will consider Vasectomy/Tubal ligation, if they refuse I personally would not buy a pup desexed at that age and would look elsewhere.

My puppy was done by the AWL at 8 weeks - and yes - she got two tattoos as well, one for desex, and another for microchip.

She is a bit taller and narrower in the skull than other cattle dogs types but it's hard to say if that was the early desex or not, given I don't know what her parents looked like.

...I contacted many Siberian Husky breeders around the country when I was looking - all registered with good pedigree. Quite a few were doing the desexing at 6 to 8 weeks. This was an absolute no for me. Luckily a very nice lady who I met at a sled dog meet, who is a breeder that shows and races helped me in selecting a breeder (she wasn't going to have another litter for a number of years) She was against the early desexing and helped me with my list of potentials and made two recommendations that she knew and respected after I had explained some of the responses I was getting.

Each to their own I suppose, but I found the typical comment that "it makes no difference and we have been doing it for years" quite off-putting. Some were even quite rude when I asked if it was possible to negotiate a later desexing due to my desire to participate in sledding. I understand people wanting to protect "their lines", but less breeding and more careful selection of buyers seems to be a healthier option for the dogs in my opinion. The "they're just pets" doesn't sit well with me. To me, each and every dog's life and wellbeing is of equal value.

Incidentally, I know of two bitches at our local park that suffer from incontinence from this very very early 8 week spaying, and in discussing this it seems quite common??

My vet would do it - at $400 per pup!

My vet would do it - at $400 per pup!

The Vets were offering a free consultation to visitors.

If we had been on the same page, I might have driven the distance to make use of their offer.

Luckily I knew of vascetomies being done so did not bother.

Edited by VizslaMomma

...I contacted many Siberian Husky breeders around the country when I was looking - all registered with good pedigree. Quite a few were doing the desexing at 6 to 8 weeks. This was an absolute no for me. Luckily a very nice lady who I met at a sled dog meet, who is a breeder that shows and races helped me in selecting a breeder (she wasn't going to have another litter for a number of years) She was against the early desexing and helped me with my list of potentials and made two recommendations that she knew and respected after I had explained some of the responses I was getting.

Each to their own I suppose, but I found the typical comment that "it makes no difference and we have been doing it for years" quite off-putting. Some were even quite rude when I asked if it was possible to negotiate a later desexing due to my desire to participate in sledding. I understand people wanting to protect "their lines", but less breeding and more careful selection of buyers seems to be a healthier option for the dogs in my opinion. The "they're just pets" doesn't sit well with me. To me, each and every dog's life and wellbeing is of equal value.

Incidentally, I know of two bitches at our local park that suffer from incontinence from this very very early 8 week spaying, and in discussing this it seems quite common??

Good breeders breed less & select great owners but GREAT owners can also turn to bad owners very easily so in the end good breeders trust there instinct & past experiences to protect the puppies they have breed not there lines after all when some breeds suddenly get crossed with everything Joe Public are quick to point the finger at good breeders for not taking more care ,we are stuffed either way.

Our breed is highly sort after & the biggest puppy farmers are vets who have even tried to convince some of our puppy owners to breed from there pups so in the end the people we trust are ourselves or we simply do breed less & at present the breed less is becoming the better option with many puppy owners wanting to breed or crossbreed & sell to pet shops ,our pups will not be part of that so spaying early we will do all the way ,once burned you become very proactive.

As for spay incontinence i see more dogs that you will in a life time & the incidence is very low ,far lower than the oops litters ,some breeds are more predisposed & many have UTI early on that owners never tend to & have issues later on .

Infact breeders who consider there safety of there pets are thinking of them & just pets means just as much if not more in protecting them .

In 30 plus years never had any of our dogs have spay issues big or small ,a good vet makes the world of difference & all our dogs are spayed either early or once retired

Good breeders breed less & select great owners but GREAT owners can also turn to bad owners very easily so in the end good breeders trust there instinct & past experiences to protect the puppies they have breed not there lines after all when some breeds suddenly get crossed with everything Joe Public are quick to point the finger at good breeders for not taking more care ,we are stuffed either way.

Our breed is highly sort after & the biggest puppy farmers are vets who have even tried to convince some of our puppy owners to breed from there pups so in the end the people we trust are ourselves or we simply do breed less & at present the breed less is becoming the better option with many puppy owners wanting to breed or crossbreed & sell to pet shops ,our pups will not be part of that so spaying early we will do all the way ,once burned you become very proactive.

As for spay incontinence i see more dogs that you will in a life time & the incidence is very low ,far lower than the oops litters ,some breeds are more predisposed & many have UTI early on that owners never tend to & have issues later on .

Infact breeders who consider there safety of there pets are thinking of them & just pets means just as much if not more in protecting them .

In 30 plus years never had any of our dogs have spay issues big or small ,a good vet makes the world of difference & all our dogs are spayed either early or once retired

Excellent post Showdog.

I've groomed many desexed cocker spaniels and work in cocker rescue, coats vary a lot. Collie would probably be the worst I've come across, the better coats usually come from dogs that were desexed at 12 months or older

Coats vary a lot naturally. You will find they are all different. Hormones play a role in coat maintenance so desexing age makes no difference. Once the hormones are gone the coat often changes.

Edited by Florise

Reading this (excerpt from caninecancer.com ) :

Research was performed in 2002 to determine if spaying or neutering a dog increased the risk of

developing bone cancer. Experimental and clinical evidence suggests that endogenous sex

hormones influence bone sarcoma genesis but the hypothesis had not been adequately tested in

an appropriate animal model. A historical study was conducted of Rottweiler dogs because they

frequently undergo elective gonadectomy and spontaneously develop appendicular bone

sarcomas, which mimic the biological behavior of the osteosarcomas that affect children and

adolescents.

In summary, this study found that male and female Rottweilers with the shortest lifetime gonadal

exposure had the highest risk for bone sarcoma. Dogs that underwent early elective gonadectomy

had a one in four lifetime risk of bone sarcoma development compared with a significantly reduced

risk among dogs that were sexually intact throughout their lifetime. Although it remains unclear how

endogenous gonadal hormones influence bone sarcoma development, the work provides the

framework for selecting a target population for bone sarcoma prevention studies. To read the

complete study, please click here:

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/11/11/1434

As you'll read, it suggests that fluoride in the water is linked with cancer in rats. So yes, there's a lot of things that can be thought the culprit for this rotten disease. Is desexing and/or desexing early one of them? I tend to think nature knows best and has the 'one-up' on us.

Edited by Erny