Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

You know you all started somewhere and none of you are perfect no matter how much you think you all are, the way you come off on DOL is the reason why no one dares mention DOL outside of DOL, a lot of breeders and dog owners hate this forum and you are all proving the exact reason why!

And many people like and respect this forum, though it is not was it used to be. The reason many of us are here is because we like the forum. If you hate it, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Haha 1

ugh, remind myself to stay out of a template whinge-about-breeders thread

stay tuned for the whinge-about-dog-didn't-turn-out-as promised thread

Hazywal, you're right. :) lol

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Haha 1

You know you all started somewhere and none of you are perfect no matter how much you think you all are, the way you come off on DOL is the reason why no one dares mention DOL outside of DOL, a lot of breeders and dog owners hate this forum and you are all proving the exact reason why!

And many people like and respect this forum, though it is not was it used to be. The reason many of us are here is because we like the forum. If you hate it, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Funny I've never anyone that bags out DOL in real life. Must not mix with the right people.

hahahahahahaha better the devil you know I say.

Look at yourselves, you give 10 points to anyone new that comes onto DOL and asks initial questions, but as soon as those questions go beyond 'what breed is right for me?' you crucify them. You tell people to do all the research they can but then you crucify anyone who says 'why don't breeders keep their websites up to date?'.

Most of you appear to think you are gods and that everyone should bow down to you, let alone question why you do anything you do.

There are many fantastic breeders on here but they are the ones talking to people behind the scenes, the ones that truly want to help people and not crucify them until they throw their hands up and go to a puppy farmer, and yes I have proof of this and they actually recommended the puppy farmer to me!!!

• Like 1

I don't post often these days but the OP reminded me of the time I was looking for a wheaten puppy. My dad and I went to the Melbourne Royal to look at the kerry blues. I'd said I didn't want another kerry if I saw the boy we'd lost earlier that year. We spoke to someone at ringside (none of this 'Come back to talk to me when I've finished showing'). After a chat, we were invited back the next day to meet some wheatens. My then 72-year-old dad saw a wheaten and said, 'I want one.' I spent two hours meeting people and their wheatens. First step. I got referred to a breeder interstate expecting a litter. Called left a message. Spent over three hours on the phone, indeed, being interrogated by the breeder. First question, 'Had I had any Irish dogs before?' On being told we'd had several irish terriers and a kerry blue the breeder judiciously said we 'might' be able to handle a wheaten. Second step. Next we had to go to Melbourne to spend a day with another breeder so we could be observed on our interaction with his dogs. We would be on the bottom of the waiting list if we were approved to go on the list at all. We spent the day 'interacting' and were approved.

The point of that story, OP, is what the interrogation does, all the hoops you go through, whether it's a photo or, as we did, be observed interacting with the dogs, is let the breeder know if they can trust you. We got a puppy from that litter. We went from the bottom of the list to the top of the list because we showed through our discussions and meetings that we could be trusted with one of the breeder's puppies. The breeder trusted us enough that when the breeder needed to rehome his precious elderly boy, he called me. DOLers know that dog well: he was my Grumpy.

You may not like the hoops. If you don't there are other options for you to obtain a dog. If you want to be trusted with a precious little life, jump through the hoops. Believe me, when you have one of those puppies in your house, you'll be willing to jump through those hoops all over again. It's a marvellous thing.

Best of luck.

Edited by Sheridan

maybe the breeder doesn't want to send a pup to live with the OP large dog

She didn't have an issue with that. In fact I told her that if she was uncomfortable with the idea of homing her pup due to that reason, I'd understand her concerns as it's her pup and therefore her right to decide where her pup ends up. Have you missed the post in which I said the breeder rang me the following day to let me know I could have the pup if I wanted to? :banghead:

I am not sure if you have realised yet.

But you are sounding very much the same. That's why I made the quip of wether you want a living dog or a statue.

Sorry, but you do come across as holier than the breeder.

And that :bottom: in your reply to me did a lot to confirm my thoughts.

That said, Good Luck. I now shall employ the IGNORE button. Not quite in the mood for jackasses either.

No offence intended but today is not my day for Sarcasm. I came here in good faith and have been completely honest and open. The one who has the holier than thou attitude is you since you're of the opinion that I am not entitled to obtain a pup of my choice.

You are not 'entitled to obtain' any pup unless the breeder thinks you will be a suitable owner for the pup she bred. What do you think gives you this sense of entitlement?

I beg to differ in that I have every right to be specific about what it is I'm looking for in a pup. Lest we forget it was you who thought I was being too selective, I personally don't see anything wrong with that. We all have specific likes and dislikes and I'm not about to purchase a dog whose looks don't appeal. According to your logic, only breeders have rights and buyers have none. I do agree it's ultimately up to the breeder if he/she is comfortable with the prospective purchasers but buyers also have a right to be specific about what they're wanting in a pup, be it a particular look, temperament, etc etc etc.

She didn't have an issue with that. In fact I told her that if she was uncomfortable with the idea of homing her pup due to that reason, I'd understand her concerns as it's her pup and therefore her right to decide where her pup ends up. Have you missed the post in which I said the breeder rang me the following day to let me know I could have the pup if I wanted to? :banghead:

keep banging your head don't really care i wouldn't sell you a pup so im one of those arrogant breeders you don't like :)

• Haha 1

I think most breeders would want their buyer to be 100% committed to their breed too. Not still tossing up between chi, sheltie or JP.

And if Perfume - actually contacted a few breeders for her chosen breed (could she please make a decision and stick with it), she might find out about a litter of puppies born or planned that never make it to the DOL pages or any other internet ad.

I've spoken to a few breeders, was asked what I was looking for in a pup, explained in detail and received the exact same response from all those breeders. The answer was one of two…..1/ They only breed when they want a pup for themselves therefore they would get the pick of the litter and/or they've mated their dog to a fellow breeder's stud dog and in turn that breeder has pick of the litter in lieu of the stud fee. They weren't even interested when I mentioned going on a waiting list and told me, in no uncertain term, I would have a long wait. Another couple of breeders said they don't bother with waiting lists.

Edited by Perfume
  • Like 1

Well, I am confused :confused: You can have the pup if you want but something has changed?

keep banging your head don't really care i wouldn't sell you a pup so im one of those arrogant breeders you don't like :)

Your loss. I'm an avid animal lover and when I take on a pet I take it on for life. A dog is not a disposable commodity or a garden gnome, it becomes part of the family and is treated as such. I don't have children, by choice, my pets have brought immeasurable joy in my life.

By the way, ask 100 questions, I don't mind one little bit……but don't display arrogance when doing so as it's often interpreted as rudeness. Having said that, I wouldn't purchase a pup from you either, can do without rude, obnoxious people in my life.

• Like 1

Well, I am confused :confused: You can have the pup if you want but something has changed?

She rang me the following day and we spoke at length, I asked a couple more questions and I am of two minds as to whether I should go ahead with the pup. I am not going into detail about the issue.

This thread started off with my being surprised at the 20 questions I was asked, why was I surprised? Because it never happened before. I have purchased dogs from Registered Breeders before and have not been asked a single thing so there was an element of surprise BUT the thing I found most off-putting wasn't so much the questions being asked but the manner in which they were asked albeit I was taken aback when asked for personal photos of myself, lol. Had I been a regular poster here on DOL I may not have been surprised with the questioning as I would have expected it. One final thing, as a breeder, do ask question but try and adopt the right approach, being abrasive and suspicious is not the way to go about it. If you've been burned before, I genuinely feel for you but don't go tarring everyone with the same dirty brush.

Edited by Perfume

You do have every right to want certain things. It just means your wait will be longer quite often. You have the right to say no thank you, the breeder has the right to say no.

Different people find out things in their own way. I don't do pointed questions but love a chat and find people generally tell me what I want to know in the course of conversation.

People are different, you will get some who put you through intense interogation and some who hand a dog over for cash and everyone in between.

Goodluck in your search.

As a breeder who is particularly fussy about where my pups go to live, I would certainly never ask for a photo of the prospective owner, or their home.

So what if they look like Mrs Pitt and live in a mansion? They still might kick the pup down the steps every morning. The only way to know them is to have conversations with them (and not in a nasty way), or to have them visit...and hopefully both, although that doesn't work for interstate sales.

I guess it is up to breeders to behave as they see best - but it is also up to prospective owners to accept or reject the conditions of purchase.

• Like 1

She rang me the following day and we spoke at length, I asked a couple more questions and I am of two minds as to whether I should go ahead with the pup. I am not going into detail about the issue.

So now the breeder is willing to sell you this pup, and you are being hesitant about whether you actually now want it?

T.

So now the breeder is willing to sell you this pup, and you are being hesitant about whether you actually now want it?

T.

What part are you not understanding? It was not until she called me and we spoke again that I posed a particular question to her and she provided me with the answer, had I not asked that question I never would have known…..it certainly did not come up in conversation the first couple of times we spoke on the phone.

As a breeder who is particularly fussy about where my pups go to live, I would certainly never ask for a photo of the prospective owner, or their home.

So what if they look like Mrs Pitt and live in a mansion? They still might kick the pup down the steps every morning. The only way to know them is to have conversations with them (and not in a nasty way), or to have them visit...and hopefully both, although that doesn't work for interstate sales.

I guess it is up to breeders to behave as they see best - but it is also up to prospective owners to accept or reject the conditions of purchase.

Ditto.