Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

If I were a breeder I would be doing the exact same thing, speak to them, ask them questions and get a feel of things and go with my gut instinct.

Breeders who ask no questions and don't appear to care put me off.

So why the post about being interrogated, if you would do the same thing in her place?

My bad, I shouldn't have said I would do the "exact" same thing. I certainly would not request photos of themselves or photos of the inside of their home, I wouldn't ask about what "drives" them, what their passions are. The questions I would ask would be more doggie related, I would want to get a fair idea of how much knowledge they have about about their chosen breed, if they've had experience with dogs, what breeds they've owned in the past if any, general knowledge on dogs, what they would opt to feed the dog, etc etc.

Are you sure she wasn't asking about your passion and what drives you in terms of dog ownership? I suppose the photos of yourself does seem a bit full on, but you could always ask her why she wants them (in a non-confrontational way). It sounds like she might just be really trying to get a feel of who you are.

It may be more a case of thinking you have something to hide if you don't want to share pics with her. As she can't meet you in person it's one way of showing her you are being open and honest with her. I too would be more concerned about sending a puppy to an immaculate house then a house with normal household mess. She's not the clean police, what does it matter if she sees pics of the inside of your house really? If it were me I would go a step further and offer to FaceTime with her so she can have a virtual tour of the house and also see you in real time.

I've facetimed a few of my puppy buyers so they can see their pup. Each time the puppy buyers have given me a bit of a tour without me asking or suggesting it, but they usually want to show me where the puppy will sleep plus their backyard plus all the new toys they have bought lol

When she ask what drives you etc it may be that she's just wanting to get to know you - it's not a pass/fail thing. It's a way of learning who you are. Same for the pics of you, it puts a face to the name for her.

Almost all my puppies are rehomed far away as I live in a remote area. So meeting the owners prior to selling them a puppy is not usually an option.

I run a rescue and part of the process is an actual physical inspection of their yard prior to the adoption being approved. So to adopt a dog from us you will have someone we know tramping thru your house and yard. It's the only way we can be certain the yard is securely fenced. If you have nothing to hide I don't think it's that big a deal. We aren't checking to see if the floors are vacuumed and beds made, it's about checking to see if it's a secure and appropriate environment for the dog.

I think this is a great idea :) why not ask her if you can skype? That way you both get to meet each other and you can give her a tour of your house etc and she gets to see that you are genuine :)

I think it's great the breeder does this .It shows they care a great deal about where their babies end up! I always have to buy without viewing ,owing to the remote area I live ,so I rely on the breeders integrity I usually set up a communication before the puppies are even born.I keep in phone and e mail contact.I also am proactive with photos of my property ,myself and my current dogs.As buyers ,we must remember these breeders have usually put in years of breeding ,so we ,the buyer ,get a great match with. our puppy.I also send photos monthly of the puppies progress. I welcome any questions the breeder may have.I don't think it's at all odd to ask for a photo of yourself ,it's all helps make up a overall impression of the buyer.At the end of the day ,it is their puppy and they can sell it whoever they wish ,and if you are offended by the questions,move on and wait for another puppy. :)

My Dally breeder wouldn't sell me a pup until I visited their property. They lived interstate and I certainly wasn't flush with funds as a student but I did it. They were incredibly hospitible and I got to see the whole litter at 5 weeks. I waited 2 years for the right pup AFTER I selected the breeder. 8 years later and I remain in close contact with them.

As a rescuer, in addition to thorough interviewing, nothing beats a homecheck and regular follow up with the adopters, things can still go wrong but at least you've done everything humanly possible to try and make sure it's a good home for the dog.

I'm glad the breeder's trying to be thorough - there should be more of it!

A breeder friend had a request from interstate for a Vizsla puppy.

Was looking like a puppy would be sold. Until it turned out the house had no fences & the puppy's new home was to be in a garage.

If they had not gone with their gut feelings, it is difficult to imagine what might have happened.

And no, the owners to be said they had lived in that house for 5 years, 3dog & no fences.... known in their neighbourhood for escaping dogs.

:(

I also told her a great deal about myself and about my past pets, that should have been more than sufficient in telling her I am a responsible person who doesn't take animals for granted.

lots of people say all the right things and then do something completely different. What you have said to her "proves nothing" - you could still be looking for a puppy farm breeding dog.

If she gets a photo of you, then she knows not to hand over the puppy to someone who isn't you. Also she can rule out nigerian puppy scammers with a reverse image look up.

Same with photos of your house. But maybe you could just invite her over.

How come you haven't met with her yet? That's the easiest way to rule out scammer or thief.

And there's a good chance she's reading this thread. All the ones who advertise on Dol could do that.

....If she gets a photo of you, then she knows not to hand over the puppy to someone who isn't you. Also she can rule out nigerian puppy scammers with a reverse image look up.

Same with photos of your house. But maybe you could just invite her over.

How come you haven't met with her yet? ....

The breeder is interstate, so a face to face meeting is very unlikely. I suspect the breeder would rather meet face to face, but is using all the alternative assessment tools they can think of, which ticks all the right boxes for me.

If you can arrange a Skype (of course both of you need devices with cameras) that would most likely cover quite a few of the bases. :)

I think I would still up and go visit a breeder interstate if I felt that was the best option.

I think Perfume's main problem is shopping for "available puppies" ie ones already born, instead of being part of the whole process, starting with meeting the local breeder and their dogs.

But - I got mine from rescue so a whole different story.

I just know that dealing with interstate for both breeder and buyer can be very difficult if things go wrong at either end. So if I was the breeder - I'd be asking someone local to do a "home check" like the rescue groups do. And if I was the buyer I'd be travelling over there. it's a puppy, ideally 15 years of your life - what's a plane trip?

The 'shopping for available puppies' bit struck a chord with me. The puppy I've just had come to live with us is one that I've been talking to the breeder about for 12 months or more. This is the first time that I've known of a puppy when it was born and had the pup chosen from a litter for me.

I think that it is possible to get fantastic dogs by getting dogs that are available at the time. (I know both my dogs that came to me at 12 weeks are fantastic and exactly what the breeder said they would be - give or take my upbringing. ;) ) BUT.......my latest pup was chosen from the litter for me and is the perfect match so far. It's worth getting to know a breeder and waiting for exactly the right pup to come along IMO.

I have spoken at length with my latest boy's breeder for a long period of time and I know we have both checked each other out through mutual acquaintances. It can be done at arm's length, but IMO it takes time to build that relationship. It's not a matter of what is around now.

Not happy with the questions? Then don't buy from that breeder. While we probably all think we're the perfect home, it's the breeder that gets to determine that. For some breeders this is more than a transaction. If that makes you uncomfortable, move on.

I see the advice about visiting the breeder hasn't stuck.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I love that it sounds like she is really focused on finding out a lot about the people that will be taking on her babies. Okay you might not want to send a photo of yourself but what will it matter in six years time when you have the perfect pup - one that has most likely been matched to you, with the information that you have supplied. The what drives you, I took as in the dog world - like do you want to do obedience, or other dog sports, are you active etc. One puppy from that litter might be a couch potato, whilst it's siblings might need loads of metal stimulation and exercise. Some puppies are more independent whilst others need someone there all the time.

Our breeder spoke with us a great length, had me complete a very detailed questionnaire and even after that would not guarantee a puppy until she has met with our entire family. After meeting with us and seeing our family dynamic she explained how she allocated the puppies - this didn't happen until their temperaments were more developed. We weren't even sure if we were going to get our preferred gender, as temperament was the most important thing for us. It's only been a short time but I am still in regular contact with her, via facebook, email and phone calls to see how everything is going. I know that I can phone her for anything and have her help and support.

A good breeder is worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned, it really shows that they actually care about the breed and not the money.

Edited by Justrace

Perfume, people can SAY whatever they want! People lie! I once met a puppy farmer who boasted about how she lied to breeders to get a puppy from them. She would tell them all about her large property, kids, etc. Words mean nothing. I always FB stalk potential adopters and it has saved me a few times.

Nothing wrong with a breeder requesting pics and information at least they are being thorough, although I can see an issue people might having with supplying a pic of themselves, but can understand reasons for breeder requesting one. Lots of pups are purchased interstate without breeders and purchaser meeting face to face, nothing wrong with that at all if breeder and purchaser have been communicating by phone and email to establish a relationship before pup is shipped. Also I don't have a problem with people searching for available pups, sometime people's circumstances are such they are ready for an available pup.

By all means breeders should do what they think right in determining good puppy homes, but I don't really get the point of asking for photos. If they think people are lying about their living space, then what is going to stop them sending false photos? I had a puppy buyer ask if I wanted him to send photos of their yard and although I said they could if they wanted to, I didn't need them as I have no way of knowing it's their yard and at some stage I just have to trust them. If my conversations with puppy buyers are making me concerned, they don't get a pup.

Like Kirty said, facebook can be very useful ;)

Haven't read the latest replies but for me the meaning behind a photo of yourself, questions etc is for the breeder someone WHO is willing to go to these lengths to prove they are a genuine person.

Most would say screw that, and keep looking. Too much hard work because they don't see the honest reasoning behind it.

Easier to get a puppy from the pet store. Hand over cash and ta-da!

Well for starters no vet will talk to the breeder ,they are bound by the privacy act .

But yes as a breeder we ask questions i expect the same from any prospective puppy owner . Asking the right questions for us is far more important than filling out a questionnaire that can be researched & well considered ,we like answer straight out of ones mouth & whether right or wrong that can be explained at that point & a reason given & to see what the reaction is.

As to what photo's you want to send that is up to you if you don't want to send any then say so BUT in all seriousness don't forget breeders often read these posts & its often easy to figure out puppies inquiries versus there posts .

We have had someone post on here & then come out & look at pups & then repost ,lets just say they didn't get a pup ,internet is a great tool for us breeders aswell

But i will go back to what i said in another of your posts ,take a step back & stop rushing ,start doing more research & home work & asking questions that should be far more important than just wanting a pup asap .

If a breeder wished to speak to my vet I would happiily give permission.

I see no issue with asking questions/requesting photos. I would baulk at a photo of me as I hate having photos taken and don't share them on social media, however I do realise the potential reasons they may ask.

The thing is, the breeder can ask you to provide what they like, its up to you if you wish to provide the information. The breeder chooses the ultimate home for that pup. Handing them over is not easy. I don't have a questionaire as such but fidn you learn a lot in general conversation with people. I may ask certain questions if they have not offered the answers. I have not had a house inspection of any of my puppies, but I have seen photos via facebook in two cases and met the other family prior to the purchase of the puppy and have visited their home since.

I was looking at a different breed tot hat I have now. I was told flat out that one breeder would not sell me a dog as my children were under 10 years of age. My thing was they were well versed around dogs, well disiplined and knew what behaviour was acceptable around animals/puppies. The breeder was interestate and a friends grandson had been found jumping on a bed young pup in arms - a real recipe for a disaster - so she would no longer sell to people with young kids. the fact my kids never jumped on beds, were closely monitored and knew they were never allowed to pick a pup up didn't matter. at the end of the day that was her choice and her right and she did it becasue she cared about her babies and where they went.

If someone asked me about what drives me and my passion I woudl believe that applied to my dog related activies such as agility/obedience etc etc etc

Edited by OSoSwift