Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

As some of you may know, I've been trying to decide between 3 different breeds, the Shetland Sheepdog, Japanese Spitz or the Chihuahua. I was torn between all three so decided to speak to various breeders. There was one particular puppy that stood out from the rest and I was prepared to go ahead with that pup. All seemed great…..until I received an email today. The breeder began interrogating, demanding I take photographs of the inside of my home, a photo of the backyard, a photo of myself, my vet's phone number so she could speak to him, wanted to know what "drives" me, what my passions are……

I can understand some breeders want to make sure their pups go to a loving, responsible and caring home but this is absurd. A photo of myself? really? The inside of my home??

If you don't like it, move on. Personally I expect to be interrogated a bit - shows the breeder cares about their puppies. Breeders have to protect their puppies from backyard breeders, puppy farmers and people who just want a cute puppy.

If you don't like it, move on. Personally I expect to be interrogated a bit - shows the breeder cares about their puppies. Breeders have to protect their puppies from backyard breeders, puppy farmers and people who just want a cute puppy.

THIS... :)

It might be a little disconcerting but they have raised their puppies from birth and most likely invested a lot of time and money and heart into their dogs. I understand it and I would actually prefer a breeder who would want to know the potential new families of their puppies and the kinds of homes they are going to.

There is getting to know the puppy buyers and going over the top.

Aside from showing you have suitable fencing and keep a clean house. Photos of you and the house are not going to prove you are necessarily a better/responsible pet lover/owner than the next person.

I know people who have a dingy looking house and are a little rough around the edges being excellent responsible pet owners, and I know people who keep immaculate house and yard and I would not even sell them a flea off my dog.

The only real way to know of your puppy is going to a good home, is to get to know them over time. Even then it is no guarantee they will do the right thing by your dogs.

Edited by Mystiqview
  • Like 1

I interrogate my puppy people and I'm not ashamed of it. Granted I don't ask for photos but I talk to them a lot and if I'm not happy, no puppy for them.

We spend so much time and effort creating these little lives and raising them to be lovely dogs, we're not just going to give them to any one.

The breeder began interrogating, demanding I take photographs of the inside of my home, a photo of the backyard, a photo of myself, my vet's phone number so she could speak to him, wanted to know what "drives" me, what my passions are……

You may not have heard/read- but I seem to remember reading of someone ticking all the boxes - being sold a puppy ..but it seems the wonderful person was a "front" and pup went to another owner.

Anyone can email and say the right things . When a lot of money changes hands- and a life is entrusted , why NOT get some sort of photo ID - and proof of home etc? I LOVE the idea of the breeder talking to the vet . Brilliant :)

the other queries may be to match a puppy to you ....

I am getting a rescue cat - and have sent them pics of the cat enclosure & things - *shrug* .They didn't ask - but I wanted them to see where a cat would be living , and how..

The breeder began interrogating, demanding I take photographs of the inside of my home, a photo of the backyard, a photo of myself, my vet's phone number so she could speak to him, wanted to know what "drives" me, what my passions are……

I think this excellent. You should have just as many questions for her. All those ones I posted before about health checks and meeting the parent dogs to see if the temperament suits etc.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/260469-upset/page__view__findpost__p__6599413

So imagine (this is a little extreme but should give you an idea) - you have a child and you decide to send her off to boarding school... you would want all the same stuff from the boarding school, and probably face to face interviews and inspections and police checks on the staff to be as sure as you can they aren't (convicted) child abusers...

So this breeder wants the best for her puppies - that is a really good sign for the quality of puppy she has to offer. She may also be able to know from what you tell her whether her line of puppies are a good match for your home. And she may have had bad experiences where people have promised the world and then let the puppy go play in traffic.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

There was one particular puppy that stood out from the rest and I was prepared to go ahead with that pup. All seemed great…..until I received an email today.

Maybe you don't realise, it is not up to you in the end :)

Yes it is - it is up to both the buyer and the breeder. I expect to be asked a lot of questions by a breeder. I find it odd that someone would request a photo of me. After all, if you're dodgy it is easy to fake these things. All the breeders I have spoken to/emailed have been interested in having a conversation with me about whst I'm looking for in a dog , what kind of life I can offer etc . It has been a natural conversation and not :0 questions .

• Haha 1

I don't mind a little interrogation but I still believe she was a bit excessive and to no avail because, ultimately, a few snapshots of a backyard, a person, the interior of a home or whatever else proves absolutely nothing. It's no indication of what I'm like as a person and if I'm capable of looking after her beloved dog. I spoke to this person at length, we covered a wide array of subjects concerning dogs, I also told her a great deal about myself and about my past pets, that should have been more than sufficient in telling her I am a responsible person who doesn't take animals for granted.

There was one particular puppy that stood out from the rest and I was prepared to go ahead with that pup. All seemed great…..until I received an email today.

Yes it is - it is up to both the buyer and the breeder. I expect to be asked a lot of questions by a breeder. I find it odd that someone would request a photo of me. After all, if you're dodgy it is easy to fake these things. All the breeders I have spoken to/emailed have been interested in having a conversation with me about whst I'm looking for in a dog , what kind of life I can offer etc . It has been a natural conversation and not :0 questions .

Yeah I agree. No reason to need a photo of you for goodness sake.

The second breeder wanted to see pics of the yard, and where the puppy would sleep.

For our first puppy, one of the breeders I was on the wait list with, wanted to also see yard pics. And google your address to make sure you really lived there. She had been stung before.

I agree. I also expect to be asked questions, I wouldn't feel right if the breeder was nonchalant and appeared to be more interested in the $$ than the future welfare of the pup. I volunteered information about myself so she could decide if I was the right person for the pup, long before she felt the need to ask questions.

Speaking to the prospective owner's vet is pretty much standard for me.

Photos, think that's a bit odd since as you say it could be photos of anything.

I didn't have any qualms in providing the breeder with my vet's phone number so she could speak to him.

Photos of the backyard and front yard, I'm fine with that. Asking about what drives me, what my passions are? photos of me? :confused:

I interrogate my puppy people and I'm not ashamed of it. Granted I don't ask for photos but I talk to them a lot and if I'm not happy, no puppy for them.

We spend so much time and effort creating these little lives and raising them to be lovely dogs, we're not just going to give them to any one.

If I were a breeder I would be doing the exact same thing, speak to them, ask them questions and get a feel of things and go with my gut instinct.

Breeders who ask no questions and don't appear to care put me off.

If I were a breeder I would be doing the exact same thing, speak to them, ask them questions and get a feel of things and go with my gut instinct.

Breeders who ask no questions and don't appear to care put me off.

So why the post about being interrogated, if you would do the same thing in her place?

Yes it is - it is up to both the buyer and the breeder.

Sorry, but if the buyer does not meet the breeder's expectations they can choose to not sell the pup, regardless of whether the buyer wants to go ahead.

I think megan just meant the buyer also has the option of deciding that breeder isn't for them.