Mouse/rat Bait

persephone

for those with a mouse/rat problem , there MAY be a bait which is HEAPS safer to use around domestic animals/wildlife!! I

do not like using poison ... however, mouse numbers have suddenly skyrocketed , and they are everywhere Folks around town are seeing mice when they haven't for years ..and we have them in places never before used by them , Horrible .

have been reading /asking Dr.Google - and come up with DIFENACOUM . yes, an anti coagulant rodenticide , but one which requires massive oral intake by a(non rodent) pet to be fatal. I hope to have some very soon- and be able to reclaim the house ( now- to get rid of 'that' mousey smell... If all is as stated on the toxicity sheet, I will be able to put bait stations in the aviary as well, and not worry so much about the bantams getting dying/dead mice .

What i will also continue doing , is to only place baits out for 48 hr periods once a week . Enough time for mice to have a feed or two - but not be continually eating it.

This table explains it well - obviously it is for one particular brand name product :)

LD50%20Chart-sml.jpg

TSD - - I would panic in case a dog got one mouse ....now, I can save the panic for something more likely ;) . For the birds, too - some visitors throw dead mice out onto the lawn - I would tear strips off them - seems as if things are much less lethal now :)

Vet told me that once the poison has worked on the mouse it has done it's job and is un-likely to do it again on any animal that may eat the mouse.

Pest controller bloke who came into where i work told me Talon is the only brand that will work and the only brand he uses. Says all the other brands are just like candy to rodents (might make em sick but wont kill em).

But yeah I really hate using poisons but when we have aviaries we have no choice. I try to be very careful where I place baits so the dogs can't get them.

I use Racumin, at the time the research I did led me to believe that it was the safest in terms of relay poisoning. I'm not overly concerned about the dogs getting to it, mine don't eat dead rodents (I don't know why, they eat MUCH grosser things! :vomit: ), and I make sure to put it where they can't access it, I was more concerned about the native critters in the area.

Recently I noticed that there were rats/mice coming from the neighbour's place into my yard then back next door again... luckily they haven't ventured into my house!

Now I'm noticing the odd dead one in my yard, and one morning Harper brought a fairly large one into the hallway to play with.

The neighbours have a dog themselves, and I'm sure they've been careful with whatever they are using to get rid of the rodents.

So far, I'm sure that Pickles has probably been eating anything that comes into the yard while I'm at work - but no signs of any of the dogs getting ill...

T.

My bait guy said the dogs would need to eat about 20 dead rats for the bait to have any effect on them.

I am more peeved that the critter are dying my roof. They haven't read the memo about exiting the premises to die.

Oh no not more mice. After last years plague & my car being invaded by them I am getting horrors just reading this.

Last year I did bait with Ratsack out the front but not back of my half acre. 2 cats in the outside runs caught heaps & I was so worried but they seem ok.

Its a bad problem. Lots of people around here were using big buckets of water with ramps to drown them but I couldn't do that.

I think keeping birds always brings mice. Its like running a restaurant for them :laugh:

When I first moved in here I had a lot of problems with rats in the roof. The lady I bought the house from had two compost heaps in the yard which I think attracted them.

I tried the Racumin but they wouldn't touch it so I have gone more heavy duty now. Touch wood, I'm finally on top of it but have 5 pet-friendly bait stations in the yard and get the roof baited yearly (was 3 monthly). Last time he came he said there were still a lot of baits up there which is good news!

There are rats and mice in my garden. I've seen them. They feast on my vege patch and fruit trees. I'm torn between killing them (and dealing with Lucy brining their bodies into the house ) and just letting them be . Nice came inside last year but after Lucy caught one they haven't been back in. Can you bait outdoors?

Is this the same stuff used for rabbits? We have a serious feral rabbit problem - council won't do anything - and I'm pretty sure the guy next door is baiting the rabbits.

Our yard is secure as far as I can see from my last walk round but I'm terrified that Ernie will get hold of a baited bunny.

When I first moved in here I had a lot of problems with rats in the roof. The lady I bought the house from had two compost heaps in the yard which I think attracted them.

I tried the Racumin but they wouldn't touch it so I have gone more heavy duty now. Touch wood, I'm finally on top of it but have 5 pet-friendly bait stations in the yard and get the roof baited yearly (was 3 monthly). Last time he came he said there were still a lot of baits up there which is good news!

Why people have open compost heaps in their yard to which they keep adding food I will never know. Surely even the most stupid of people must realise they will be feeding and boosting the local rat and mouse population.

We had vermin problems a few short years back. The rats were running along the fence but didn't venture into my yard as far as I know. Had they done so my two Rottweilers and even my Cavaliers would have dispatched them without preamble. The rats were feeding from an open compost heap in the property behind mine. My next door neighbours and I asked the council to intervene as our pleas to the compost owner were ignored. I offered to buy them a compost bin and was told where I could put it.

The council rep was fortunately a Rottie owner and lover so we got along famously. He inspected their property and told me there was evidence of rats breeding there. He told the bogans at the back they were to clean up their yard and get a compost bin. The council rep said he would be back in 10 days to see that they had complied. When he returned they didn't answer their door so he came to my house to ask if he could climb on the back fence to see what had been done. Of course they'd done nothing so they were advised via a note under their door that they would be fined unless the compost heap was gone within 5 days. This time they did get rid of it and our vermin population eventually decreased.

If I ever sell this house and move I will be poking my head over the fences before I buy another property. I won't buy if there are birds kept on neighbouring properties as they attract vermin and I won't buy if I see an open compost heap. Vermin terrify me.

stressmagnet - to (legally) bait rabbits , 1080 poison is used, permits acquired, notices need to be displayed on property boundary fences ..and I really doubt a smallholder would bother- or could get permission. 1080 is quick acting and deadly....and is NOT available just to buy from a hardware store ;)

Oh I doubt he's kegally baiting them.

I just got back from chatting to him about my worry. He lioves Ernie and is a good neighbour. He didn't admit to anything but I know he's very garden proud, and the rabbits have a warren in the neighbour on the other side of him. I'm almost 100% sure he's taken matters into his own hands. Hopefully, he will stop and think now. He did offer to walk my fence line and check for any weaknesses I've missed. I can't really push the issue without straight our calling him a liar.

Why people have open compost heaps in their yard to which they keep adding food I will never know. Surely even the most stupid of people must realise they will be feeding and boosting the local rat and mouse population.

This is what causes my problem. Next door have compost heaps, grow heaps of veggies and have chooks! They really need to move to the country!!

The mice eat there but live here for some reason. Maybe because they have ratting type dogs.

I wouldn't have know that the chooks/compost cause these issues so will also be checking out gardens when I move again.

Also having a flat roof is a pain in the arse as I can't just chuck bait up through a manhole!

Is this the same stuff used for rabbits? We have a serious feral rabbit problem - council won't do anything - and I'm pretty sure the guy next door is baiting the rabbits.

Our yard is secure as far as I can see from my last walk round but I'm terrified that Ernie will get hold of a baited bunny.

I lost a border collie this way. Either someone deliberately put bait in my yard and there was really no reason for anyone to do that or my dog ate a critter or a critter dropped the bait.

It was very fast and very horrible :(

I originally thought it was snail bait but then I found out that 1080 is also dyed green. It all happened too quickly to be snail bait too.