Mildly Annoyed

Yonjuro

I went to a dog cafe today - lovely place run by lovely people and I go there a lot, so my gripe has nothing to do with the establishment :)

but...

I am sitting quietly with Ronin my 16 month old Husky, all 27kg of him, and a person comes up with a yapping JR which jumps on Ronins face and paws him... a bit later a Frenchy does the same and even leaving another small breed of unknown origin also did . One of them was also allowed to harass my dog while he was eating a frozen chicken neck :eek: Now I like both of these breeds I could identify and don't have any issues with SWFs, but come on... my boy seemed slightly amused by their antics, but really... what if my dog had taken a dislike to this extreme in-your-face interaction. I have worked very hard with my boy, but not everyone does the same, it would take very little for Ronin to crush such a dog between his jaws.

I have even been at the park when a trainer was there with little dogs and they were doing the same to Ronin, and the trainer said to the worried owners - don't worry this Husky is non-reactive! Suffice to say I left.

Owners think it is hilarious how brave their little dogs are with a big wolflike dog - sheesh :( I know who will get the blame if there is ever a nasty incident.

Rant over :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My poor old male Chow, Sonny Boy, twice had his ear literally pierced by two different JRT. Once at obedience club, and once would you believe, at the two week initiation course for the Delta program! I actually got quizzed when I put down that I was bringing an entire male chow to the delta 2 week live in. I was alarmed at the attitude i got. To his credit, on both occasions, he sat on his fluffy butt and waited patiently for someone to pry the other dog off. He once got rolled by a boxer at a dog park. He just stuck his legs in the air and played dead, and once the boxer had finished with him, he got up, had a fully body shake, snorted like a horse and pranced off. He could have quite efficiently killed any of those dogs, but he was so self assured and cool, he just shook it off. Of course if he had of so much licked any of those dogs too hard, he'd have been made out as the bad guy.

Err whoops sorry kinda rambled OT.

I hate situations like that. If I yell at the owner or their dog, my dog takes it as the ok to join in and see their dog off. Actually if a dog like that jumps all over her - there's a fair chance she will just see it off with a yelp from it.

I'm thinking the only way to prevent something really bad happening to my dog from their dog - cos you just don't know with strange dogs - is to use them as footballs.

The owner of these other dogs are not in the right - but there's no explaining to them that you and your dog have a (legal) right to defend yourselves. And it's against the law for them to let their dog harass other dogs, people, livestock or wildlife.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

And we wonder why dogs are allowed in so few places. OWNERS OWNERS OWNERS. (And all odds and sods of people who think they are dog trainers are doing even more harm.)

Ronin is such a fabulous dog, it would be horrible to see any of that taken away by irresponsible people

Sonny Boy sounds a wonderful dog, Gruf, with a beautiful temperament. (Any pix :provoke:)

Thanks for the comments...

Ya know, I kinda feel sorry for these small dogs - these people just don't seem to understand the potential danger. I am not referring to small dog owners on this forum, as most people here are very knowledgeable and vigorous in the care for their beloved dogs, regardless of the size.

I must also say, that even though I am lucky with my boy, he is still a dog and even though I am pretty good at reading him, I am not a mind reader and he is not perfect. He may dislike a dog for an unknown reason or smell but I am always right there, especially in an off lead dog park with the lead in my hand and at the ready to remove him from any situation that looks troublesome.

Anyway... I am preaching to the converted here, nothing bad happened in the end and I am just having a whinge :laugh:

And we wonder why dogs are allowed in so few places. OWNERS OWNERS OWNERS. (And all odds and sods of people who think they are dog trainers are doing even more harm.)

Ronin is such a fabulous dog, it would be horrible to see any of that taken away by irresponsible people

Sonny Boy sounds a wonderful dog, Gruf, with a beautiful temperament. (Any pix :provoke:)

ahuh...my thoughts exactly. Dog cafe or not, intrusive owners and/or dogs are not my idea of a fun time. i've had more than my fair share of it over the last six months.

I think Didi's size and appearance crosses the threshold of what even the most irresponsible of dog owners are willing to gamble with because I've never had a small dog approach us rudely on lead, most small dog owners cross roads or pick their dog up when they see us. One young couple screamed when they dropped the lead accidentally and their Lhasa pup bounded over to play with Didi laugh.gif I've definitely had a few straining at the leash and snarling but their owner has pulled them as far away as possible from Didi and I have moved away as well even though she just walks past but I'm not complaining, I'm glad they're cautious of her, even though she isn't confrontational and is great with small dogs she's also still a dog and I couldn't say with absolute certainty that she would never have a go back. And we all know who would be made out to be the bad guy in that situation.

Being annoyed is bad for your health and not so comfortable. People do all sorts of things, and some of them are idiots, at least from my perspective. Learn to laugh at it. Accept the things you cannot change. Change the things you can. And have the wisdom to know the difference. And while I'm at it and half remembering the death of Leonard Nemoy, "live long an prosper".

As an owner of two JRTs I am sorry for you and annoyed at owners of any dog that approaches another dog without checking with the owner first. I have one JRT that ignores most dogs or drops behind me if he feels threatened, the other is a rescue I am training not to be reactive. We know most of the dogs in our area and I will cross the road or take a wide berth of some of the larger dogs but I still smile and wave or at least acknowledge the dog owners and they tend to appreciate that I am removing my reactive dog from their dog rather than them having to deal with her snapping and carrying on. I haven't taken her to dog park yet because she is still too unpredictable.

You will have to wait until I am home again on the weekend and I will see if I can dig one up :D

Edited by GrufLife

I don't think I would be giving my dog a chicken neck in a café where there are other dogs.

My Rottweiler (RIP) and I used to go to the off leash park and there was one tiny dog there that would latch on to her neck every time we encountered it. My Rottie would come to me with this little dog still attached to her neck for me to get it off her. The dog was a mini Schnauzer/Poodle cross. One snap from my Rottie and it would have been history.

Out of sheer frustration I asked the owner of the small dog why she didn't stop her dog from pestering mine and she said it was OK because she knew my Rottie was 'docile' :eek: I guess she gave no thought to the fact that the next Rottie her dog tried that on with may not be quite so docile. 'Docile' was her description of a well trained dog.

I know what you mean! I'm considering getting a 'caution' collar/harness to put on my dog, just to scare people off so that they don't allow their dogs to harass her. She's the sweetest thing and will roll over as soon as another dog comes near, but they will still jump on her and mouth her quite roughly.

I very clearly and loudly tell her to 'Leave it!' when another dog comes close, and this usually works too as the owners tend to abruptly veer away instead of walking right towards us.

Lots of great comments and not much to add :)

As an owner of two JRTs I am sorry for you and annoyed at owners of any dog that approaches another dog without checking with the owner first. I have one JRT that ignores most dogs or drops behind me if he feels threatened, the other is a rescue I am training not to be reactive. We know most of the dogs in our area and I will cross the road or take a wide berth of some of the larger dogs but I still smile and wave or at least acknowledge the dog owners and they tend to appreciate that I am removing my reactive dog from their dog rather than them having to deal with her snapping and carrying on. I haven't taken her to dog park yet because she is still too unpredictable.

I like JRTs :thumbsup: This is pretty much what I do too for a peaceful walk. The smile and wave is what I do and it is always appreciated when it is returned. I have had many an 'across the road' chat with other dog owners. An older guy with two basenjis comes to mind, where we both chatted and admired each others dogs from a distance. He explained that his could be unpredictable in close proximity with others, so I was impressed with his attitude. I do however get many a scowl from small dog owners that seem to think that the path is their rightful domain and I shouldn't have a 'wolf' in public :laugh:

I don't think I would be giving my dog a chicken neck in a café where there are other dogs.My Rottweiler (RIP) and I used to go to the off leash park and there was one tiny dog there that would latch on to her neck every time we encountered it. My Rottie would come to me with this little dog still attached to her neck for me to get it off her. The dog was a mini Schnauzer/Poodle cross. One snap from my Rottie and it would have been history.Out of sheer frustration I asked the owner of the small dog why she didn't stop her dog from pestering mine and she said it was OK because she knew my Rottie was 'docile' :eek: I guess she gave no thought to the fact that the next Rottie her dog tried that on with may not be quite so docile. 'Docile' was her description of a well trained dog.

I always buy one of their treats when I am there. The "pupsicle" they do is a chicken neck is in a little ice block made from light broth and a few bit of veggie - it is one of the joys of going. There is also room enough for dogs to be kept in their own space.

My boy is not a resource guarder nor is he food aggressive - so I am not going to stop giving him his reward because of the actions of a few ignoramuses. Most people are good and respectful. Most of the small dog owners crap themselves when they see a husky anyway - which I can live with :)

There are a lot of dog owners out there who know precisely squat about dogs, dog training or dog behaviour.

Sadly for us, the kinds of places that allow us with our dogs are a magnet for all kinds of dog owners.

I find it less stressful not to frequent dog parks, dog cafes etc. The ignorance factor is going to be present.

We can bemoan the behaviour of dog owners all day and every day but the sad fact is that it's not going to change. :(

I'm going a bit OT, but I know Yonjuro won't mind :D

Mumsie your post interested me because of my experience with a tiny little rescue dog of mine, Myrtie.

Because of her extreme reactivity, I decided join a dog training club simply to try the "flooding" method. Well, she didn't bat an eyelid. We walked into this large park where the training was held, dogs everywhere, all sorts and all sizes and I honestly expected Myrtie to either die of fright or start a stampede. Neither. Her insouciance was amazing, almost embarrassing LOL.

I also found the same when I took her to a dog park. I was waiting for my Pink Slip so decided to walk to the nearby dog park. I chatted for a while through the fence while Myrtie ignored all the other dogs and just sniffed around. When I finally bit the bullet and went inside -- same thing. She totally ignored all the other dogs and just sniffed around to her heart's content.

Sadly, I didn't get the chance to do much dog training with her as she died of Pulmonary Hypertension in the middle of last year.

I always believed that Myrtie's reactivity was caused through fright and, because she was a brave little thing, her attitude was: I'm going to get you before you get me. And it didn't matter the size of the dog. Despite this, she was the best little dog at home, full of vip and vim and lots of personality.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling