Show Us Your Pearly Whites!

*kirty*

I'm really proud of my dogs' teeth, especially my 5yo Greyhound and 3yo Iggy. Both are breeds that are notorious for having bad teeth. They are fed large size kibble and regular lamb flaps, chicken frames, etc.

What are your tips for good teeth?

20150411_160051.jpg

20150411_160058.jpg

Pia's still showing hers off in the second pic lol

I wish I could :( Maddie's are appalling and she has a yearly dental. Stan hasn't had a dental yet, they were checked by the greyhound vet last month and he said they were still ok at this stage but not far off a dental...he's 7 on Monday. He's had a half dead canine ever since I've had him which is 5 years.

So no sorry, no pearly whites here!

One side of Idiot Dog's mouth is pristine. The other.. is due for a dental soon.

We feed bones, chicken frames, deer antlers, cows hooves, but he'll only chew on one side so the other is usually dirty again within a month of having a dental done.

I wasn't aware that Greys & Iggy's were prone to have bad dental problems. Any known reason for that???

Both my guys have lovely white teeth. Especially Stella who unfortunately likes to show them off on occasion to other dogs for all the wrong reasons...

I wasn't aware that Greys & Iggy's were prone to have bad dental problems. Any known reason for that???

Both my guys have lovely white teeth. Especially Stella who unfortunately likes to show them off on occasion to other dogs for all the wrong reasons...

:laugh: so does Maddie, she doesn't care if they're manky O.o

I'm proud of my dogs' teeth too. Here is what Pennys (now dec) looked like when she was 12 years old. She'd never had a dental.

I feed my dogs fresh meat, no kibble, plenty of bones such as turkey necks, lamb flaps, chicken carcasses etc. Also lots of fruit and veg both raw and cooked.

5513262494_0e9e946865_z.jpg12yo teeth by kirislin, on Flickr

this was taken 2 years ago and belongs to Tag or Puck, both still have beautiful teeth at 10 years old but all their small front ones are wearing away to stumps.

8073065117_b1082dbf26_z.jpg8 y/o teeth by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

I think it's mostly racing greys. It often gets noticed when they go into rescue because some, not all, are fed a rubbish diet and never given bones to chew on.

With IGs it's because they have small mouths, sometimes crowded teeth and they can be wimpy with eating bones. There might be another reason, I've heard that small dogs often have bad teeth. Feather, my oldest , and smallest whippet has pretty ordinary teeth and Neko the IG is starting to show the tiniest hint of tartar and yet I feed them exactly the same diet as the boys get. I wonder if it can sometimes have to do with their saliva.

Edited by Kirislin

I have a Cavalier KC Spaniel who is almost 10yo and has never needed a dental. She still has pristine white teeth. Very unusual for this breed my vet tells me.

My 11yo Cav needed his first dental at age 9yo and he'll probably need another before too long. His teeth were good when I fed RMB's but I can no longer feed them due to his digestion issues. Now they get roo or goat tendons or something chewy after their dinner.

I have an almost 11 year old Labrador that has never had a dental and never needed one. My vet says he hasn't seen a 6 month old puppy with teeth as good as hers. I do however brush her teeth every day with a tooth brush and pet toothpaste, and have from the day I got her. She has never had a bone, is fed on dry food.

Poppy is only 8 months old so I guess time will tell but currently she has better teeth than me!

I've never though of taking a photo of her teeth before but it will be a good baseline for the future.

20150412_123433_zpsagptcgio.jpg

My four year old Frenchie had good teeth too but it's impossible to get a one handed photo of them. There's so much lip everywhere I don't have enough fingers to hold it all back and click lol.

They're both on raw with antlers, hooves, pig ears at times and dried tendons etc to chew.

Edited by Roova

our vet loves our dogs' teeth: lovely pearly whites thanks to non-weight bearing bones every day or two. I have never wanted to resort to hand cleaning their teeth and raw meaty bones save me the bother. Norty Brown Dawg is nearly 4 and has teeth as clean as his 8 month old sister's teeth!

I brush my dogs teeth everyday... Sasha had a dental 3 years ago and $500 later I figured it was cheaper to get a toothbrush and toothpaste lol.

They love it too...... As soon as the toothbrush comes out they are lining up to get their teeth brushed :)

I brush my dogs teeth everyday... Sasha had a dental 3 years ago and $500 later I figured it was cheaper to get a toothbrush and toothpaste lol.

They love it too...... As soon as the toothbrush comes out they are lining up to get their teeth brushed :)

That is exactly what mine do. I brush my own with an electric toothbrush and as soon as they hear it go on, they are at the bathroom door waiting for theirs to be done!!

That is exactly what mine do. I brush my own with an electric toothbrush and as soon as they hear it go on, they are at the bathroom door waiting for theirs to be done!!

how do you teach that?

For those that manage to brush successfully, can I ask what toothpaste you use because I bought some and it smelt really chemically and Luka hated it.

I make up my own.

Ingredients

6 tablespoons baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 cube of beef bouillon (or vegetable for a vegan version)

1 teaspoon dried or fresh parsley

1 teaspoon water

Directions

1. Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly in a small bowl, adding a bit more water if necessary to make a paste.

2. Store in an airtight container and use daily.

If you use Massel cubes, you can omit the salt.