Rottweilers

sheena

Is this true, that Rotties cant jump out of a yard. Someone I know is getting a Rottie pup next weekend, & knowing that they only had a very low backyard fence (about 1 meter high), I made the comment that he might have to put up a higher fence. Evidently that's no problem because "Rotties cant jump"

Edited by sheena

Very much not true!

Some rotts won't bother to jump over a low fence unless there is a good reason to, because, well why bother.... but it's certainly not because they can't! :)

Then you get those who will jump out of, dig out of, climb out of anything that they can....

:banghead:Where on earth did they get that idea from....

Unfortunately very wrong and sounds like they have an accident waiting to happen.

Probably from the person who sold it to them without first doing a "buyer check" probably cause they wanted to get rid of the pup. Evidently their last dog was a Rottie X & it never bothered to try & get out of the yard. I agree, an accident waiting to happen, but I've been banging my head so much it hurts :(

Oh Dear ... wonder what other research they have not done :(

Yep...I agree....but he is just the average Joe Blo buying a dog & the pup will be brought up accordingly. All I can do is "be there" if they want to know any information...I have already suggested things like, feeding a high quality large breeds puppy food & not to desex till it stops growing. The crate by the bed got a big thumbs down as it is going to be an outside dog. Health checks of parents etc, just went over his head. :(

Argh, that's such a hard situation for you to be in - you can lead a horse to water, but you can make it drink :( So hard when all you can do is offer advice and be there to pick up the pieces when your advice is ignored :(

And this is the lazy Rottie. Dee easily clearing 600m. If she was after a cat, small dog, rabbit etc and not a dumbbell, she could clear 1 metre easily :doh:

RCSAJ2014-5162-ZF-6540-91295-1-003_zpse305da7d.jpg

The athletic one. Zeph is our escape artist. He can open it, go over it, go through it, or go under it, hence the 2 metre high fences and they are never left out in the yard when we are not home.

IMGP5623_zps222002d8.jpg

IMGP2907_zpse8b47d0a.jpg

IMGP2881_zps804b577f.jpg

So yes, given the right motivation, Rotties certainly can jump.

I really hope that your friend does a lot more research before the pup arrives, because they make absolutely crap outside only dogs. They like to be with their people, and they like to interact and use their brains.

Edited by grumpette