Sick Dog

swazzie

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swazzie with regard to feeding your boy, what I did with my cancer boy, when he started going off his food was to try a range of different foods, both raw (he loved raw food) and cooked food and when I found what he liked and tolerated the best, I would actually handfeed him small amounts every couple of hours which he tolerated better than his normal two meals (breakfast and dinner). His favourites were raw chicken breast (cut into small pieces) and the Angus beef pattie from the Grand Angus burger from McDonalds :laugh: . I used to take him for a drive each day as he just loved his car rides and I would pop into a McDonalds and buy him the Grand Angus burger and just removed the pattie which I would hand feed him. I also cooked him chicken, fish and other meat patties but always found he prefered the raw chicken breast pieces and Angus patties which he would always eat, whereas anything else, sometimes he would eat it, sometimes he wouldn't.

I would try to make the feeding as stress free as possible and would just sit next to him while he was lying down and pat him and talk to him and hand feed him. As I had other Labs, I would feed him in my office with the door closed as this was one of his favourite places to be as I spent a fair bit of time in my office working from home and it allowed us to have one on one time and create a relaxed environment for him to eat and me to love on him at the same time.

Hope you find food that your boy likes and is able to keep down and if possible feed a number of smaller meals rather than his normal one or two meals per day. :hug:

It's cancer for sure, his chest is covered in tumours (X-ray )

It's secondary , they don't know where primary is, could be anywhere .

Second scan of tummy was clear.

There is nothing they can do, it's a matter of trying to keeping him eating and pain free.

We're heartbroken

My lovely friends bought me a photo session for my birthday, so we're are going to try and do that ASAP .

He's still wagging his tail - it's so unfair.

Oh.

Oh.

This is so cruel. So unfair. I'm lost for words.

Just know I'm sending love to you and Bru.

Thank you for all the well wishes, it means a lot to me,he's had a fair few cuddles this afternoon.

The hardest is going to be trying to explain to our little boy, they are so attached , I dunno how to explain where he's gone when the time comes ???? it was hard enough explaining he couldn't come on plane when we went on hols.

We've given him chicken mince twice since we came home and he's eaten both and is keeping it down .

He's not loving been watched eating, so just now I let him eat and then came back when he was done . We've always fed the dogs together, but Chloe is even more food crazy than ever and tries to finish his off as he's slower eating, which then puts him off, so we've had to separate them at meal times .

This would have never happened in past, she wouldn't even try!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this - I had everything crossed for you both.

The photo shoot is a great idea (my late husband bought me one, for my old boy when we first found out he had cancer)..

Remember that Swazzie doesn't know what is happening to him, so just enjoy the time you have. Take time for the extra few minutes of dawdling around the park, so he can sniff a few minutes more. Make time for the extra cuddle before bed, the extra pat before going to work.

All the best.

Oh Swazzie I am so very sorry :cry:

You did everything within your power to get a definitive diagnosis, and will now love and spoil him for as long as you kindly can.

Look after yourself at this awful time too

How old is your son?

We've had a few threads about what to tell children at these times. There's no easy way. This is how they learn about death, grief, respect, loving enough to let go.

Don't say 'sleeping' or 'put to sleep' (from experience). The rest you just have to wing - his body is very sick and nobody wants him to be hurting so loving him means taking the pain... And usually it's old dogs but Bru is extra special and gave you a whole lifetime of love. Sometimes kids get it better than adults :(

So sad.

So sorry to hear this result, heartbreaking for you and your family, create some special memories for your son with Bru, pictures at the park etc. Our boys were quite young when our first dog died, i explained that he was very ill and when the time came the vet would give our dog a special needle and he would die, but only when we decided it was the right time, our boys had time to get used to the idea of the dog passing away. I didn't go into details and they asked questions as they thought of them and we had photos of our dog that the boys could look at and remember him as he was before he became ill. Praying you have wisdom and comfort during this time

Oh dear :( I am so very sorry .I am glad though that this diagnosis was done with much explanation and caring ...Dear Bru - in for a time now of spoiling and cuddles and icecream ... happy memories and photos.I do hope some info in these sites might help you & your child .. :hug: \http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/behavior-training/loss-mourning-a-dog/explaining-pet-loss-to-children-six-dos-and-dontshttp://www.griefhealingblog.com/2011/05/helping-children-cope-with-pets.html

Thanks so much for that info .

We've been telling him Bru is sick, then he asks about Chloe and we say no Chloe is not sick.

He's 3, I know longer term he won't remember but when it happens he'll ask about him a lot .

I'll have a read of these links tomorrow .

Bru didn't eat much this morning, even though he seemed keen to and hungry. We both had to work so this evening when I offered food , again was really keen but didn't have much. So I hand fed him the meat in little bits and he ate it all????.

Then he had quite a bit of cooked chicken from my dinner and my sons leftovers. Normally that'd be a no no for me but he can have what he wants.

Very happy that you were able to get him to eat :thumbsup: and yes he can have anything he wants as it is important to get him to eat and of course spoil him as much as you can and he will be loving it. More :hug: being sent Bru's way.