Eating Poop

Nushie

Sorry if this is a double up. I have done a search on here for this but it didn't bring anything useful.

Brandy is 7 months old and still eats her poop. When she was younger she ate it, but our vet said that was pretty common and she would grow out of it.

She hasn't, yet.

I generally clean up after her straight away to try and stop her, but that's not always possible. Especially as she now takes herself outside to toilet. I don't always know that she has gone #2. And she eats it literally as soon as she does it.

Is there something that causes it? Is it just habit? Is there something that I can try to stop it?

I have just started giving her a bit of yogurt as I thought it might balance out her stomach, in case that might have something to do with it. She has only be getting it for a few days.

She is currently being fed Advance puppy dry food and Advance can food. Its what her breeder recommended.

Any suggestions?

Everything I've read suggests some dogs just do it, and there's not much you can do about it. I think there's some things you can feed that makes their poo less appealing though? Pineapple maybe?

Nix did grow out of eating his own poo, though he munched on some the other day for the first time in years! He will eat poo from other dogs though, if it's fresh. There's one dog in particular that he follows around waiting for a fresh supply... This dog gets fed supercoat, which is what Nix's breeder fed him and his litter mates, so my theory is it's a bit of a nostalgic thing...

A spoonful of crushed pineapple (the tinned variety) is supposed to help control unless ofcourse they are good at picking out the pineapple and eating the rest!

Edited by JRG

I was told it had to be fresh pineapple and all of mine loved it but unfortunately for me, my chief poop eater just stops temporarily and goes back to it.

She lived in a breeder's kennel for years and probably developed the habit out of boredom and it's been impossible to stop. If it was just outside I wouldn't worry but she brings the turds in and plays with them first, sometimes leaving portions behind. I discovered a half eaten turd under her blankets last night, hideous (I have a poor sense of smell!).

I've increased the amount of her food, she isn't fat and wasn't thin either however that hasn't stopped it.

I must admit it is a habit I find very hard to live with, as she likes to sit on my lap and burp in my face!!

Scout grew out of eating it, but Sarge still hasn't [he's 16 months old]. He's not as bad as he used to be, with the occasional mung on Scout's poo now. Just annoying as it turns him from doing lovely barker's eggs to mr whippy /sigh.

Tinned pineapple does work but, you will have to give it to all your dogs and hope that they do't get skilled at separating the eaten pineapple from the rest of the poop - like mine did!!! They seem to like it in their food, but not recycled.

unless ofcourse they are good at picking out the pineapple and eating the rest!

Sorry.....can't help it.......wouldn't it just be easier to pick it up than to run about putting pineapple in it?

:rofl: Um, you feed the pineapple to the dog, then it ends up in the poo - apparently making the poo less appetising to re-sample

No matter what anyone tells you the truth is science can't tell you 100% why. We do however know that it is a perfectly normal canine behaviour just not one humans like.

There are some things you can consider:

• If your dog is on a kibble look at the ingredient label and see if you can get your dog onto a higher quality kibble with at least 2 meat proteins in the first 4 ingredients
  • Consider a correctly prepared raw diet
  • Consider a multi mineral supplement to cover a deficiency aspect
  • If your dog is on a diet, consider plumping the meal up with mashed veggies, hungry dogs are thought to be more prone
  • Is the dog stressed, highly strung etc? If so consider using a calming supplement or turbo dosing Ester C and Vit B twice a day

Edited by sas

One of mine does it, it's disgusting and gag worthy. She only used to eat the other dogs poop (and any other animal poop around) but lately she's started going after her own. :grimace:

She's sneaky though, my old dog usually poops at night, and that's when she will grab it before I see it to pick it up.

She burps in my face too, I swear I nearly puke when I smell it. Poo breath. She is disgusting, what a gross habit, ewww :vomit:

Mosley lurrrves poo. Cat poo, possum poo, bird poo, his own poo....you get the picture. Nothing we do stops him, it's just too yummy apparently and he's done it since we brought him home at 12 weeks. Doesn't matter what food he's on. Only solution is scooping it straight away!

Our other dog looks at him like he's a feral beast, she has NEVER eaten any type of poo :shrug:

One of my dogs started eating our old dogs poo and only his poo. Our old dog had kidney disease and was on different kibble to the others. She doesn't eat poo now he has passed. I assume it was more concentrated, so she liked it...

Thanks for all the tips. I didn't realise it was so common in older dogs.

It didn't even occur to me that it might be her food. She doesn't try and eat Jagers poop (he is fed Black Hawk).

I will try the pineapple for a bit. See how that goes, but I was thinking of transitioning her over to an adult food in the next few months. So that may help as well. And seeing as she shows no interest in Jagers, maybe that deter her if that is the cause.

She spent all afternoon the other day, burping poop burbs and then proceeded to vomit it up all over the lounge room floor.

Dogs are so gross!! :)