Help With Name Please!

nazzri

Hi guys, im getting a male doberman soon and am stuck with what to name him! My list so far consists of:

Leo

Cyrus

Rocco

Tank

Diesel

Blaze

Hektor

Apollo

Zeus

Let me know what you guys think or have some other suggestions! Very excited.

The key criteria I have for dog name - is that it is easily yelled across the park.

I like the idea that a Doberman might have a bold German name but a lot of those are hard to yell across the park.

Apollo and Zeus - weren't those the names of the Dobermans in Magnum PI? They were quite the characters. Tho most Greek God names fail the name yell. Of the others I also like Diesel and Blaze.

And you don't want a name that can be confused with a human - or do you?

Some of my friends have been naming their dogs after abstract ideas a bit like the space shuttles eg

favour

swagger

brave

dare

I like to name after weather phenomena

Stormy

Thunder

Lightning

Regan (german for rain)

Snowy

I guess Doberman is more volcano like eg

Coal

Ash

I once named an Aussie Terror after a Cyclone...

I'm coming up a bit blank for Doberman names.

Fritz

Helmut

Kaiser

Franz

Berlin

BadWolf

Wolfegg (fantastic car museum there)

Benz

Audi

And these ones could get you into trouble

panzer

tiger

fury

luger

ruger

There's lots of german actors including

Walter Bruce Willis (die hard)

So I guess you could use any of his character names you like too.

I reckon you should wait till you bring him home, and get to know him a little before naming him. Something will come to you.

Edit: that said Hektor sounds like a super awesome name for a Doberman, whom I always think look a little sophisticated lol.

Edited by BullBreedBoy

There is a Dobermann next door to me called Vladamir! Vlad for short. I used to bath one named Saber which I quite liked.

If I had a big black dog I'd so cal it Princess Fluffy Twinklepaws. Or Prince Fluffy Twinklepaws.

Dobermann bring up images of dark stormy things for me so I would probably actually call mine Rage.

Edited by blinkblink

I agree with waiting till he comes home.

I had an Amstaff foster someone wanted to call Zues, and it just wasn't him, he was a big softy.

My late Dally was called Apollo, but i used to call him Polly across the field, not very masculine!

My BT is called Bonnerville ( Bonne), but everyone thinks she is called Bonnie which i hate,i wish i had gone with Nell now which was my other choice. :laugh:

You are so lucky getting a Dobermann pup..

For some reason i thought of Gillis as in Dobie Gillis for those old enough to remember the Tv show.

Wait and see if he is Bold or the quiet type and find a name to suit.

Also like Mosely , Dillon and Rocky.

Thank you so much for the reply guys!

@MRB i also love the idea of German names, could not really think of any good ones though that are like you said easy to yell, all I could think of was Mozart lol!

I love all the names suggested by all of you which makes it even harder! Will keep thinking about it but would love more opinions !

thanks guys

I agree with Mrs RB it must pass the park yell test. When friends were naming their schnauzer puppy recently there were many evenings of discussion over a red on suitable names. The MOTH came up with a strong German name - Fritz - which so failed the park test it and had us in stitches for weeks. You also don't want a name that will bring every other dog in the park running when you yell it! They ended up choosing a name pre-puppy and then checked it suited post-puppy arrival - and it did. He's now Leo. thumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum

I was thinking about the names that get every puppy at the park (besides pup pup pup)

Cooper, Max, Jack, Harley, Dyson(there's a set of labs named after vacuum cleaners here), Micky, Charlie, Winston, Marley

will all get you multiple boy dogs...

After Cooper, I'm thinking German Beer Bier names?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Germany

I like Dunkles - I really like drinking it too. And Bock - tho that could be misheard, like Bucket can be misheard.

Prost - is sort of like "cheers" or "bottoms up" I kind of like but it's very similar to my dog's name so I couldn't use it.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket