Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show – In Pictures

Boronia

That's an American Cocker.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the GSP looking a little tubby. But it's hard to tell from those photos, and the coat pattern might also make it hard to tell.

ETA: he looks pretty good in the video

Edited by raineth

Such a nice win for the Borzoi, they have only won the group 4 times and to go Reseve Best in Show under a breeder judge must have been such a thrill. The other Borzoi shown, the brindle, is a nice boy too, he is called 'Duckie'.

Love that GSP biggrin.gif so gorgeous. Definitely not fat, I doubt you'd put all that effort into breeding and preparing a dog to get to Westminster and not have it in tip top shape!!

A lot of dogs shown, even at Westminster, are shown fat at the minimum, and extremely overweight in some breeds.

I think the GSP looks okay though. A pet weight, not a working weight. I'd personally keep him leaner but he's within a healthy range.

What a circus. It's about time there was a bit more dog and a little less show, in the dog shows.

It's no wonder average man in the street turns to other sources to buy their pets. This extreme nonsense does nothing for the promotion of pedigree dogs in the real world, where it really matters.

Jo public don't understand why dogs need their hair straightened or enough product to form an ozone hole, in their coats. Neither do I to be honest. it might look glamorous but it's gotten so ridiculous that I really think the dog show people have been a bit sidetracked by it all. The extreme presentation techniques are out of control, but moreover, serve absolutely no purpose in presenting a sound of body and mind animal to the judge. A clean groomed animal is sufficient.

Even the "honest" dog that won here probably had its whiskers trimmed, it's tail stub trimmed, the turn of coat on its neck trimmed and a bucket of product dumped on it etc etc, when there is just no need whatsoever for this.

Just another way of alienating the pet buying public by displaying dogs as if they're from a different planet!

What a circus. It's about time there was a bit more dog and a little less show, in the dog shows.

It's no wonder average man in the street turns to other sources to buy their pets. This extreme nonsense does nothing for the promotion of pedigree dogs in the real world, where it really matters.

Jo public don't understand why dogs need their hair straightened or enough product to form an ozone hole, in their coats. Neither do I to be honest. it might look glamorous but it's gotten so ridiculous that I really think the dog show people have been a bit sidetracked by it all. The extreme presentation techniques are out of control, but moreover, serve absolutely no purpose in presenting a sound of body and mind animal to the judge. A clean groomed animal is sufficient.

Even the "honest" dog that won here probably had its whiskers trimmed, it's tail stub trimmed, the turn of coat on its neck trimmed and a bucket of product dumped on it etc etc, when there is just no need whatsoever for this.

Just another way of alienating the pet buying public by displaying dogs as if they're from a different planet!

How insulting you are!

• 2 weeks later...

Backwards snobbery at its best.

Bizarre how people who aren't into the whole "show scene" look down their noses at those who pour all their passion, money and time into presenting the perfect specimen for someone to judge.

It's the same in the horse world. There are always people who look down on people who prefer to clip their horse in winter, put rugs on it to keep it clean & even those who shoe their horses.

Everyone has different ways, usually most show people don't give a flying toss about how "non-showies" keep their horses or dogs.

I grew up around dog shows, and have owned bred and titled my own (heavily coated) show dogs. But the more I look at it the more ridiculous and insular it looks. I've well and truly looked it up and down inside and out. On the flip side For 30 yrs I've been at the coal face of every day pet owners. I talk to them a lot about their choice of pet. In my 30 yrs the tide has swung well and truly toward mixed "designer' dogs. In trying to understand their choices it comes up time and time again that they just don't understand the whole pedigree purebred dog world, and extreme levels of presentation and competition displayed in the media like this drives their choice away from "all that pedigree stuff" I'm not saying I agree with them or not, just stating with all the experience I have dealing with pet owners and their choices, it's clear to me that they see the "dog world" as some sort of inaccessible alien world so they take the easy option of buying a mutt at the pet shop or online or whatever. They tell me that dealing with pedigree breeders is overwhelming and a thing they have little understanding of.

All I'm trying to do is get people to think about why average pet dog owners and buyers are turning their back on pedigree dogs in droves. Pedigree dog world needs to turn things around, they need to understand what average pet buyers think about it all.

.... usually most show people don't give a flying toss about how "non-showies" keep their horses or dogs.

I don't think this is really the case. Show people rely on non-showies to purchase most of their puppies. They need a real interest and knowledge of their buying public rather than the usual criticism and slinging off here at those who for example do not know the name of every breed.

Also thought Blinkblink's first post was just a little over the top and out of line. But calming down, the second post does make some sound telling points. There's no purpose in dolers constantly putting blame back onto 'the gardener' after so many years, which is often enough done. Is there a way of reversing the trend of cross-breddies completely taking over the dog buying public? If there is, it won't be found by infighting with one another or trading insults.

Blinkblink is listening to the ordinary run of the mill dog owning public, and has focussed on some valid reasons for their choices.

Yeah the second post was very different in tone to the first one.

Just in regards to the part of my comment you quoted, what I mean by that is, you'll probably find that showies don't have their dogs/horses washed and perfect all the time. I personally don't have the time or energy to keep all my animals perfect 100% of the time and wouldn't expect anyone else to either. I mean keeping them groomed enough to stop any long-term mats or tangles setting in is a must, but I wouldn't go as far as forbidding my dogs from swimming in the dam if they must rofl1.gif

I think part of it is that pedigree breeders don't find the need to advertise anywhere besides Dogzonline (or other similar mediums that are specifically for registered breeders) and if buyers don't know they're there they won't look. Therefore the buyer will see a cute little crossbreed and not realise there's a similar breed out there that may suit their family even better AND actually grow up how it's supposed to.

And maybe people with pedigree animals are snobby, but I've found 'rescue fans' are probably worse - my husband and I were in a Petstock with Tundra (blue merle bob-tail Australian Shepherd, to set the scene) and the questions they asked were, "Aw where did you get him? (a breeder) What's he crossed with? (he's pure Australian shepherd) Oh, is he a rescue? (...no...) Is he a rescue because his tail was docked? (.........no??? He was born like that?????)" Like holy crap, no my dog was very purposely bred, he's never known a situation he needs "rescuing" from and NO he was born without a tail! And if my shocked expression came across as snobbery well maybe it was & I was pretty offended that my well-loved dog was accused of being a rescue icon_smile_mad.gif Sorry I've gone on a tangent, but it's not only the "showies" or pedigree people who come across as snobby!!

Yeah the snobby looks I get when I say mine are pure bred and I got them from breeders (and breed myself ) are sometimes pretty funny. The most offensive was 'did you cut their ears off or was it their breeder', asked in a lynch mob tone of voice. Neither actually, they just have perfectly normal rose ears. Not knowing that is OK, but leaping to an accusation of abuse Is most definitely not.

I agree with blinkblink a bit, in that I often wish there was more focus on breed level judging and less on the showiness aspect at the regular shows, and that they were more welcoming to the public. I usually minimise showing because some of that turns me right off. But not for Westminster, that is high end dog camp to me and there is room for such elite celebratory events. And really, it is the hobby of showing that keeps many of the rarer breeds going.

I think the Westinster BiS show judge picked two functional and beautiful examples of their breeds. I can see the grooming on the Borzoi but she didn't look conformationally extreme or overdone, and she looked like she was athletic as they should be, as well as glamorous. I also know that the male that won best opposite sex to her at breed level is well proven in running sports and very fast. I am reassured that fast functional Borzoi win at that level, it is a very good thing for the future of the breed.

Yeah the second post was very different in tone to the first one.

Just in regards to the part of my comment you quoted, what I mean by that is, you'll probably find that showies don't have their dogs/horses washed and perfect all the time. I personally don't have the time or energy to keep all my animals perfect 100% of the time and wouldn't expect anyone else to either. I mean keeping them groomed enough to stop any long-term mats or tangles setting in is a must, but I wouldn't go as far as forbidding my dogs from swimming in the dam if they must rofl1.gif

I think part of it is that pedigree breeders don't find the need to advertise anywhere besides Dogzonline (or other similar mediums that are specifically for registered breeders) and if buyers don't know they're there they won't look. Therefore the buyer will see a cute little crossbreed and not realise there's a similar breed out there that may suit their family even better AND actually grow up how it's supposed to.

And maybe people with pedigree animals are snobby, but I've found 'rescue fans' are probably worse - my husband and I were in a Petstock with Tundra (blue merle bob-tail Australian Shepherd, to set the scene) and the questions they asked were, "Aw where did you get him? (a breeder) What's he crossed with? (he's pure Australian shepherd) Oh, is he a rescue? (...no...) Is he a rescue because his tail was docked? (.........no??? He was born like that?????)" Like holy crap, no my dog was very purposely bred, he's never known a situation he needs "rescuing" from and NO he was born without a tail! And if my shocked expression came across as snobbery well maybe it was & I was pretty offended that my well-loved dog was accused of being a rescue icon_smile_mad.gif Sorry I've gone on a tangent, but it's not only the "showies" or pedigree people who come across as snobby!!

Hi Scootaloo, I realise you're venting over a surprise situation of the 1000questions but I wanted to point out how some of the things you are saying right now can be taken as "snobby" by a casual passer-by. Pardon the list type method, but I'm about to run out the door for the bus:

1. What's he crossed with? (he's pure Australian shepherd) (...snip...) Is he a rescue because his tail was docked? (.........no??? He was born like that?????)" Like holy crap, no my dog was very purposely bred,

Using PossumCorner's words, but this could be seen as "slinging off here at those who for example do not know the name of every breed". Not everyone knows every breed and I would not consider the Aussie Shepherd a commonly known dog, let alone for people to know they can be born without a tail. It reads like you're upsetting yourself over some rather general questions?

2. I was pretty offended that my well-loved dog was accused of being a rescue

If they are just asking you if your dog is a rescue, I am not sure how it is an accusation? But speaking like being asked this is an accusation does create an impression of snobbery. It's not an accusation, it's a question.

It could be there was some tone, and I can see how that is annoying. I've certainly had to face some unwanted comments about my "disease ridden mongrel" and many allusions that she is going to one day snap, all said in that superior tone.

But just from reading the content without any tone attached, those all seem like perfectly curious questions from someone who is unfamiliar with your chosen breed. Which isn't a crime, there are lots of breeds out there let alone the newer unfamiliar ones.

Always wanted to us this emoticon :offtopic: I think that is me, but wanted to point out how even casual phrases can create the impression if you're trying to lure people into purebreeds

Edited by Thistle the dog