Jump to content
persephone

Dog left in hot car dies ...dog walker sends txt message

37 posts in this topic

karen15   

I can't fathom how she would have got her luggage out for the cruise and not seen the dog? If it was just in the rear atea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, karen15 said:

I can't fathom how she would have got her luggage out for the cruise and not seen the dog? If it was just in the rear atea

I think it was just a cruise on the Harbour.  Christmas parties and all that.  Much more important than doing her job.   

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   

When one of my friends was looking for a dog walker, she had me come and interview a couple before we settled on one we and the dogs approved of... and she's completely awesome! If anyone is looking for a brilliant dog walker that goes the extra mile for your dogs in the Riverwood/Narwee/Roselands (Sydney) area, PM me for her contact details, I can't recommend her highly enough...

 

People like the one in this news article should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law IMHO... how awful for the dog and it's owners... *sob*

 

T.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

I think it was just a cruise on the Harbour.  Christmas parties and all that.  Much more important than doing her job.   

:( that makes it all the worse , IMPOV .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have another incident to relay.  I take my boy to the park and whilst there, I heard an almighty bang.  Turned towards the noise thinking it was a vehicle collision but didn't notice anything unusual, until a dog came racing towards me and a dog walker yelling out to me to grab the dog as he'd been hit by a car.  There was no chance I could have done that as he was running around wildly and several people tried to catch him.  I question WHY she parked her car on the main road when the park has off street parking bays and why this dog was off lead  when she arrived at the park.  I wouldn't like to be in her shoes when she has to tell the owner what happened to her precious pet.   Hopefully the poor boy came out of this unscathed.

On another note, I wonder if the dog walker would be responsible for the damage caused to the car by the collision.   

 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   

I was at a park on a headland - with no fences, and a sheer cliff drop on the other side of the roadway around the park - where a "dog walker" van pulled up, and the person opened the back door to let a stream of unsecured and unleashed dogs out. Needless to say that complete bedlam ensued whilst some 15 dogs ran off in all different directions - including towards the edge of the cliff! Stupid "dog walker" had no control, and very little clue really - then tried enlisting park goers help to round up the dogs and get them back into the van... WTF!?!?! And people pay top dollar for this kind of "service"... *sigh*

 

This was in a rather upmarket suburb of Sydney (north side) to boot...

 

The dog walker local to me that I highly recommend does NOT take dogs to the local dog parks... she physically walks them individually or in pairs (only same household dogs together) for a good hour before returning them home and making sure all water bowls are topped up, and any excess energy is expended with some toy/ball throwing in the back yard. She ony takes on work that she can physically handle and doesn't take shortcuts. She believes that the one-on-one time spent with the dogs is just as important as the exercise they all get during their walks, and I agree wholeheartedly. She's even picked up my friend's dogs and taken them for vet checkups when my friend can't get an appointment outside business hours... and picked up the vet prescription food too... she's seriously the BEST!

 

T.

Edited by tdierikx
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my municipality the maximum number is supposedly 5 dogs per walker.  The amount of them just standing around and chatting with other walkers or on mobile phones for most of the time is astounding.  People pay a lot of money per session and I can see it is a total waste of money except for a few dedicated walkers who do the right thing.   I think some  so called walkers come for their own social interaction rather than for the dogs they are in charge of. 

That's why I take mine for their enjoyment and that's my quality time with and for them.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tdierikx said:

... The dog walker local to me that I highly recommend does NOT take dogs to the local dog parks...

I'm gobsmacked by the anecdotes here of dogwalkers using off-lead parks - or even actually allowing a dog that they don't own off lead, ever.  How could anyone take responsibility for another person's dog and let it run around loose, anywhere?  Maybe it is okay with the owner: in which case the owner needs protecting from his/her own stupid.    'Usually' having a good recall isn't good enough when things go pear-shaped.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PossumCorner said:

I'm gobsmacked by the anecdotes here of dogwalkers using off-lead parks - or even actually allowing a dog that they don't own off lead, ever.  How could anyone take responsibility for another person's dog and let it run around loose, anywhere?  Maybe it is okay with the owner: in which case the owner needs protecting from his/her own stupid.    'Usually' having a good recall isn't good enough when things go pear-shaped.  

I lost a client once, back when I dog walked, because I refused to do off leash. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   
19 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

I lost a client once, back when I dog walked, because I refused to do off leash. 

You would have gotten MY business SM... *grin*

 

T.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asal   

probably same kind of person who forgot they were to drop the baby off at the preschool and went straight to work and left it in the car, that baby died too

 

just read the bit about texting the owner when she remembered, how horrific for the owner

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Teebs   
On 12/18/2017 at 12:27 AM, PossumCorner said:

I'm gobsmacked by the anecdotes here of dogwalkers using off-lead parks - or even actually allowing a dog that they don't own off lead, ever.  How could anyone take responsibility for another person's dog and let it run around loose, anywhere?  Maybe it is okay with the owner: in which case the owner needs protecting from his/her own stupid.    'Usually' having a good recall isn't good enough when things go pear-shaped.  

I dont get this -  i have lost many customers because i wont let their dogs off lead! Why the hell would you want someone that hardly knows your dog, to have them off lead?

I also dont get walking more then one household of dogs and why they even need to go into a car? Why not just walk around the neighbourhood?

So many people think pet sitting is a quick way to make money, but so much can go wrong and if you dont have someone who really cares, then who knows what would happen

 

15 hours ago, asal said:

probably same kind of person who forgot they were to drop the baby off at the preschool and went straight to work and left it in the car, that baby died too

 

just read the bit about texting the owner when she remembered, how horrific for the owner

 

Forgotten baby syndrome is real and nothing like this, this lady was just lazy and in a hurry to make money and go and enjoy herself :(

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tdierikx said:

You would have gotten MY business SM... *grin*

 

T.

Thsnks T.

 

3 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I dont get this -  i have lost many customers because i wont let their dogs off lead! Why the hell would you want someone that hardly knows your dog, to have them off lead?

I also dont get walking more then one household of dogs and why they even need to go into a car? Why not just walk around the neighbourhood?

So many people think pet sitting is a quick way to make money, but so much can go wrong and if you dont have someone who really cares, then who knows what would happen

Yup. My only exception to that rule was occasionally I'd take Scottie - with the owners permission & if they were a good match. 

 

Occasionally we'd go to a "better" oark for walks. Sometimes just for a change of scene. More often to walk in the shade in summer. But I agree with you 100%. Its not a fast way to make cash. I never really did enough - but I couldn't see a way to make a living with the model i had. Especially when the local competition picks up sll ger walks in a van & takes themhome to free run in her paddock.

 

That said,  I fail to see how you'd forget a client was in your car. Again, sadly think you're right on being in a rush to get out & party. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:27 AM, PossumCorner said:

I'm gobsmacked by the anecdotes here of dogwalkers using off-lead parks - or even actually allowing a dog that they don't own off lead, ever.  How could anyone take responsibility for another person's dog and let it run around loose, anywhere?  Maybe it is okay with the owner: in which case the owner needs protecting from his/her own stupid.    'Usually' having a good recall isn't good enough when things go pear-shaped.  

I just reported a dog walker to the local council - using a local oval - NOT an off leash area (apparently every day of the week) to walk a differing no and type of dogs.  Parks in an unfenced car park, lets dogs out of a jeep (none have leads on and some no collars either) and they go into the oval.  Another person with a van does the same thing at the same location i'm told by a neighbour.  The dogs I saw ran all over the oval, completely out of control while person sat on a mobile phone.  I didn't risk getting my dogs out of the car.  Person wasn't even watching them.  The amount of dog poo in this oval is disgusting and people/kids play sport there, gross.  Just so unsafe, I doubt this "walker" even understands dog behaviour at all but is getting paid well by owners who are also clueless.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dog walker has been charged with committing an act of cruelty, and fail to exercise care to prevent cruelty. Due at downing centre local court in march. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

The dog walker has been charged with committing an act of cruelty, and fail to exercise care to prevent cruelty. Due at downing centre local court in march. 

I hope she is disqualified for ever having a business associated with pets again.  AND I hope she has to pay all legal costs.  Not that any of that will bring the poor dog back, but it may prevent any more tragedies.   

 

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×