Puppy stopped suckling ? Wont suckle anymore ? Stopped at 7 days old

jjj8

I would be putting their formula into their bowl and not adding in anything else until they get the idea what the bowl means. Are they lapping up water? They should be lapping at the milk and then after a few days of that add in some mush. 

Allow mum to have an area to go to if she wants to escape her pups but don’t take her away fully unless mum doesn’t want anything to do with them. 

• Like 3

I agree with keeping mum with them - she will teach them so much.   As long as she can have some alone time and get a break from them, then she is the perfect way for them to learn manners.

Another option for raw meat is scraping rather than mince.   Get a piece of beef, and drag a spoon across it quite firmly.   You will get almost a 'paste' type consistency, which is very easy for little mouths to cope with.

Enjoy the babies - ahhhh, puppy breath, the best smell in the universe in my book

• Like 4

4 hours ago, persephone said:

Don't take mum away- it is vitally important she stay with them to teach them how to "dog" :) This is an important phase in their life . So, as long as they are putting on weight/look round and are happy - they are getting well fed from whichever source . 
By the way, by hand feeding them so often, you are training them that "This is how dogs eat" ;) 
When they are hungry, if the food smells good, they will eat it!

Try them on tiny balls of fresh raw mince, and see if there is a different attitude...often times the smell of raw meat can turn them into starving wolves! 

Thats true i dont want to train them to only eat from me by hand 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amazetl said:

I would be putting their formula into their bowl and not adding in anything else until they get the idea what the bowl means. Are they lapping up water? They should be lapping at the milk and then after a few days of that add in some mush. 

Allow mum to have an area to go to if she wants to escape her pups but don’t take her away fully unless mum doesn’t want anything to do with them. 

Yeah they have a bowl of water and they lap from it

Just want them to eat food now . Im sure if they are hungry they have to eat so ill stop hand feeding them

• Like 4

heres some pics for you guys 

In the first pic the darker boy on the left is the one that had issues suckling at the time he was around 270 grams now he is around 1kg :) his bro is about 100 grams heavier then him

Screenshot_20230120_154800_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230120_154902_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230120_154950_Gallery.jpg

Edited by jjj8
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Amazetl said:

Are they lapping the milk? If they are doing that you shouldn’t need to hand feed them and then start mixing the milk with solids/mush until they are eating it up nicely. 

Ye they lap milk and water

Maybe they are just been lazy

I left the bowl with them hoping they will just eat from it 

• Like 1

They are so adorable. Give them time, they will get it before you know it. At 8 weeks old they normally go to their new homes right and eat solids for sure so I bet they’ll pick it up any day. It’s not unusual at all for 6 week or even 7 or 8 week old puppies to still love a little milk from mum if she lets them. It’s a transition and takes some time mixing the both for a bit. 

You did a brilliant job feeding the little bro and keeping him alive early on. 

• Like 5

As there at the age where there playing outside & learning about life they will get a good appetite quickly with all the new daily enrichment they should/are getting .
Start getting them groomed trained for there new owners ,lead training all these things add such valuable tools to a puppies growth on life skills 

• Like 4