Puppy stopped suckling ? Wont suckle anymore ? Stopped at 7 days old

jjj8

Hey my toy poodle had a litter of 2 pups.

All started well but one of them now wont suckle on his mum even when i put him on her nipple he just wont suckle. If i put his brother his brother suckles no problems. 

He stopped suckling from day 7

Im weighting them everyday his brother weights 34grams more atm they are 9 days old.

Ive tried bottle feeding him he wont suck on the bottle either so ive been dropping milk into his mouth and feeding him that way but it takes so long.

I took them and mum  all too the vet 2 days ago vet looked at all of them they are all fine the vet told me . And told me to bottle feed him

So what could the issue be ??? 

I checked his temperature he is fine. 

The only thing i can think of is he had  Diarrhoea because his stool is very sloppy and yellow so that could be why he is not gaining as much as his brother ( today he only gained 5 grams and his brother gained 18 grams) but even if it was diarrhoea why wont he grab her nipple and suck ? He was doing fine the first 7 days when i used to put him on her nipple he would suckle no issues now he wont why ?? 

Can anyone think of anything? Im not experienced 

Should i start tube feeding ? 

Thank you 

Edited by jjj8

Did the vet know it had the runs??
Did they check for cleft palette?
Did they give  any form of anti biotics ??
What kind of milk are you using ??
What milk supply does she have ??
I would not tube feed unless you have the right gear & been shown.

This pup will be becoming very dehydrated at this point .
Is the mother pushing pup away ??
Is it weeing ??
I would certainly be finding a vet savvy with puppies & asap with the Christmas break .
There could be many reasons but you need a vet irrespective 

• Like 3

Yes he knew

Im pretty sure he checked

No didnt give anything

Im using the warnbo one from oer circle

The mother is low on milk but considering the other one is gaining weight she still has milk

I have the right gear and seen a gew youtube videos

No mother isnt pushing him away im sure she hasent rejected him he is the one not sucking on her anymore

Yes he is weeing 

The vet told me to bottle feed him when i took them

1 hour ago, Boronia said:

@jjj8 take the pup to another vet asap (like now) your pup will be dehydrated so will need fluids otherwise he will fade away.

edited to add...please keep us updated on the little one's progress

Hey i will bottle feed him and if he doesnt suck on the bottlw i will tube feed him.

I do have a job and im away for 8 hrs if i fed him every 3 hes inbetween been away for 8 hrs would that be okay ? 

Also if he is dehydrated that would make him lose weight right ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

Is it weeing ??
I would certainly be finding a vet savvy with puppies & asap with the Christmas break .

Yes he knew

No didnt give anything

The mother is low on milk but considering the other one is gaining weight she still has milk

No mother isnt pushing him away im sure she hasent rejected him he is the one not sucking on her anymore

Yes he is weeing 

A crap situation to find yourself in. Sounds like you are doing all within your control  to save this pup,.

But we can't give any advise without knowing the cause, or what we are dealing with. There could be damage to his mouth, throat, or abdomen.  The pup needs a proper examination to rule out injuries or other causes, and to advise on the best plan of action and how to go about it. There is a reason he won't suckle.

Anything less relies on luck.

You are trying your luck on you tube. We can't help. We can't do better. Only a thorough vet examination can give reliable answers.

I genuinely do wish you the best of luck, but thats the best any of could do. And a Merry Christmas. Very sorry.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 5

I just chcked and mother has no milk anymore. Ill take them all to the vet this morning. I guess ill have to bottle feed them ? 

4 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Is it weeing ??

Yes he knew

No didnt give anything

Yes he is weeing 

Thats a start, for the pup. Yes both will need  feeding but the tube should not be needed if they are suckling. Yes, take them all to the Vets. 

you can't deal with this on your own.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 1

If you insert the tube in the wrong way you will actually kill the pup, so I'd advise that you NOT try it from watching YouTube videos, OK? I'm a fully qualified vet nurse with a lot of experience hand raising various species, and I'm not terribly confident doing tube feeding... it is not something that should be a first option, the ramifications if done incorrectly are fatal.

If pup is now wanting to suck from mum, try the bottle again... you may need to try different shaped teats, different sizes, different textures (silicone or rubber) of teats to find what the pup prefers... they can be fussy sometimes. Maybe a small amount of honey in the milk formula may make it more enticing for him?

It is concerning that mum has stopped producing milk... so the advice to take them ALL to the vet ASAP is the best advice you'll get, OK?

Just out of curiosity, was this a planned litter?

T.

• Like 2

as soon a a supermarket is open whizz there and buy a packet of fenugreek seeds, make a tea with them and get that tea into the pups mother. Fenugreek is an amazing milk-increaser

here is an old Dogz post about fenugreek

If you don't have any at home (though if you make chutney or curries you probably will) Coles have it  here  Woolies don't seem to have it

You may be late for work :(

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jjj8 said:

Hey i will bottle feed him and if he doesnt suck on the bottlw i will tube feed him.

I do have a job and im away for 8 hrs if i fed him every 3 hes inbetween been away for 8 hrs would that be okay ? 

Also if he is dehydrated that would make him lose weight right ?

Personally, I'd be calling work and advising them you have a medical emergency with your dog and her pups, and need to get them all to a vet ASAP...

T.

• Like 4

This is an emergency, such young pups can go downhill and die in a matter of hours, they also can’t be left for 8 hours with no milk at this age, can you get to a vet asap and please don’t take a guess at tube feeding it’s not always as easy as it looks, if the tube isn’t inserted correctly you will kill the pups, not sure in animals but I know when our youngest son was tube fed we had to do a ph test before every feed to make sure the tube was in his stomach.

• Like 3

after the vet visit and all check out make sure to get some maxalon or a script for it at least it helps with milk production.

I tube fed a pup for the first time ever in the middle of the night after watching youtube video's. It was that or let the pup die. He's a hulking big boy now at 5 years old. He would look like he was suckling but he was just going trough the motions.

Keep in mind the more the pups take forma bottle or tube the less they will suck on their Mum so she will make less milk.

If you can get them to 3 weeks old then you can start with other foods.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tdierikx said:

If you insert the tube in the wrong way you will actually kill the pup, so I'd advise that you NOT try it from watching YouTube videos, OK? I'm a fully qualified vet nurse with a lot of experience hand raising various species, and I'm not terribly confident doing tube feeding... it is not something that should be a first option, the ramifications if done incorrectly are fatal.

If pup is now wanting to suck from mum, try the bottle again... you may need to try different shaped teats, different sizes, different textures (silicone or rubber) of teats to find what the pup prefers... they can be fussy sometimes. Maybe a small amount of honey in the milk formula may make it more enticing for him?

It is concerning that mum has stopped producing milk... so the advice to take them ALL to the vet ASAP is the best advice you'll get, OK?

Just out of curiosity, was this a planned litter?

T.

Hey i called my vet spoke to somone, because i littery took in them all on monday and they had no issues. The vet / nurse told me i cant do anything about giving the mum somthing to produce milk and that i have to bottle feed the pups.

As for tube feeding if you mark the tube and once inside you pitch the dog and it makes a sound it means its in the stomach and you can produce to insert the milk ? 

I mean if he wont take the bottle im forced to do it 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1