Vulnerable Breed Competition Final | ​Crufts 2023

Boronia

36 minutes ago, Adrienne said:

Some lovely dogs! I wonder why the Australian Terrier in this competition? 

yes I saw that and it surprised me, maybe people have gone off those little feisty rat-catching rangas :(

• Haha 1

On 12/03/2023 at 7:05 AM, Adrienne said:

Some lovely dogs! I wonder why the Australian Terrier in this competition? 

Its not listed as a breed competing & Not in the video 

Edited by Dogsfevr

Prior to posting, I looked up the crufts list of vulnerable breeds and it did not feature on the list and I had no luck finding criteria for appearing on the list. 

Are Australian terriers considered a vulnerable breed in Australia? 

Yearly registrations of 300 or fewer in 2021. British and Irish breeds. Miniature Bull Terrier and Old English Sheepdog and Bearded Collie were, but not presently, on the list. Aussie Terrier not on the list.

https://crufts.org.uk or

Crufts Vulnerable Breeds Competition 2023

Edited by Mairead

On 12/3/2023 at 2:06 PM, Adrienne said:

Are Australian terriers considered a vulnerable breed in Australia? 

Yes they are and are one of the many at risk terrier breeds not just in Australia but worldwide.

Aussie registration statistics have been sitting consistently around the 320 puppies registered per year since about 2000 onwards compared to the 1980s where the breed was averaging around 700 puppies per year.

Whilst the numbers aren’t high, the issue is with aging breeders. They majority of breeders are now 80+ years and few new blood is coming into the breed. Pat Connor of Tineetown passed last year I believe (one of the main Aussie breeders back in the day) and Michelle Cook of Atrigema passed earlier this year too.  Both Tineetown and Atrigema lines are extremely old and many Aussies will have dogs/b*tches from these kennels in their pedigrees.

Another issue will be if dear little Emma Hurst manages to get her shortsighted bill across the line. Fancy limiting breeds that whelp small litters to a maximum of only two litters per b*itch. If your breed only whelps litters that average between 1-3 puppies per litter this will seriously diminish the genetic pool and spell the end to many small breeds.

I fear the end of dogs is nigh.

• Sad 4

I think it’s expected that one day dogs will go extinct. Not for a long time though. Once robotic dogs come in that look and act more dog like numbers will diminish significantly. 

The ‘cavoodle’ has become the most popular dog. For whatever reason people want this instead of so many other breeds that they and most people haven’t even come across. 

What’s the purpose of smaller dog breeds being treated differently for breeding than larger dog breeds? It’s not like the little ones mate with large dogs. What’s the difference? They need to cut out puppy farming but leave the papered experienced dog breeders alone, other than to make sure they aren’t becoming puppy farms etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amazetl said:

What’s the purpose of smaller dog breeds being treated differently for breeding than larger dog breeds? It’s not like the little ones mate with large dogs. What’s the difference? They need to cut out puppy farming but leave the papered experienced dog breeders alone, other than to make sure they aren’t becoming puppy farms etc. 

Litter size is the difference. You want to pick the best to breed on with. Easier to find one in a litter of 8 - 10 then in a litter of 1-3.

• Like 1

Sorry, I mean why would they want to limit how many times they can have litters compared to larger breeds? A small dog isn’t having large breed pups so their litter size and size of pups are relative to the size of the mum so why put restrictions on how many times they can have puppies compared to larger breed dogs? Do they believe smaller dogs struggle more? 

1 hour ago, Amazetl said:

Sorry, I mean why would they want to limit how many times they can have litters compared to larger breeds? A small dog isn’t having large breed pups so their litter size and size of pups are relative to the size of the mum so why put restrictions on how many times they can have puppies compared to larger breed dogs? Do they believe smaller dogs struggle more? 

It's simply because the ARA/AJP have an agenda to stamp out ALL breeding and don't care about the bigger picture.  In their minds, all breeding is bad, pet ownership is bad and animals should just be left to roam free of their devices.

The idea of limiting litter numbers is their way of looking good to the general public who don't know any better and think "yeah, 2 litters per a dog's lifetime is more than enough".  That's how they get votes. By appealing to the masses who are clueless.

It's little different to how all major political parties operate.  Every time there's an election, out come the party promises that appeal to the "lower/middle class" because they know it'll get them votes.  Rather than spruiking policies that would actually help people/economy out, they're all too busy being short-sighted with their goal "let's get voted in because it's what's best for us".

I guess in some morbid way, I'm glad I won't be alive to see the extinction of dogs, but I am sad for future generations to think that this is where things stand.

• Sad 3

Very true. And to an outsider or someone who doesn’t have the knowledge the thought for a dog breeding more than a couple times might make them think it’s mean or something. I think the myth of mother dogs being drank dry by their puppies is still in a lot of peoples minds when they think about it. Animal welfare is all over the place and I know a lot of amazing goodness has come from it but sometimes the other side of the coin is forgotten and they only show you one aspect of it, such as horrible puppy farms and then the public has that in their minds for all dogs. Being a dog breeder I imagine can have with it a bit of a taboo for some people, yet they still want their puppy. Interesting. 

Half the pound dogs aren't even chipped, only those who stick their neck out by being in any way registered will suffer. Even plain BIN holders.

So yes, the crushing reg breeders under the burden of laws sadly, not affecting those who aren't even following basic requirements. :( 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

AJP used to proudly have the goal of phasing out companion animal ownership in their policy list on their website... they removed it when it was pointed out during the 2019 NSW state election that ended up with Emma Hurst getting elected to an 8 year upper house seat.

AJP are not the only party who have plans to drastically change pet ownership as we know it. The Greens policies are possibly even more draconian than AJP... and even Labor have plans for a major overhaul of animal welfare legislation. If you want some idea of how far Labor are willing to go, just look at the proposed new Victorian Animal Care and Protection Act... no mention of "Welfare" in the title for a reason...

Also, if you want some idea of how sneaky AJP can be, during the NSW Puppy Farm inquiry, Emma managed to get her good friend Georgie Purcell as a star witness in the inquiry. When Wes Fang tried to highlight Ms Purcell's links to AJP (she was actually Andy Meddick's chief of staff at the time), he was shut down by Emma and Abigail Boyd of the Greens - they insisted that Ms Purcell was supposedly there as president of Oscar's Law, yet a good portion of her testimony was based on information she could only have gotten as an AJP MP's chief of staff... testimony that was then referenced 46 times in the resulting inquiry report and pushed by Emma Hurst (reading the minutes leading to the results of the report is eye-opening). Fast forward to the Victorian state election, and Ms Purcell not only ran for AJP, she was elected to the Victorian upper house under a cloud of a preference voting scandal - they reneged on their deals, while still taking the preferences given to them.

Another interesting point to note is that when Queensland were looking at updating their animal welfare legislation, AJP actually applied to be a witness in the inquiry - until it was pointed out to the committee that AJP were actually a political party with an animal rights agenda, and AJP were then struck from the witness list. AJP also put in their own submission to the Victorian legislation proposal... which is not exactly kosher when your own MP was responsible for much of what is contained in it. AJP Victoria also prepared a submission template for their members to send in to the consultation phase (I counted well over 300 copy/paste submissions based on the AJP template).

In NSW, the Greens were using the term "animal protection" almost exclusively with regards to their policies, but have realised that term isn't being received as well as it used to (as people wise up to what it actually means), so are now replacing the word "protection" with "welfare" so they supposedly sound less animal rights focused - but their policies are still focused on removing companion animal ownership regardless the words they choose to spruik them.

If we want to continue to own and breed quality dogs, we ALL need to be a bit more vocal against the stupid legislative changes being put forward by the AR mobs (AJP, Greens, Labor all lean that way). We can't simply sit back and expect the main bodies like Dogs NSW to push back on our behalf... they are seen as but one voice when submissions are entered regarding legislative changes, and they need US to back them up with our own submissions... many voices are noticed...

Get more pro-active and keep an eye on what legislation is up for review, and make submissions to put our side forward in large numbers... because in this day and age of "community expectations" being a major driver of change, we need to show how large a part of the "community" we are.

T.

• Like 2

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au

Scroll down to Get Involved about contact your member, sending submissions to inquiries etc

I believe a personal  submission to your members or an inquiry carries more weight than just signing a petition.

From searching online it calls Emma Hurst's amendment 'lapsed', and the (independent, general enquiries) person at Parliament House who can explain that to me is not working today.

I sent my own personal stories to members about voluntary assisted dying and stood outside Parliament House a couple of days last May when the Bill was being voted on. But it still took years of work by many many people to finally get it through, even though it was called 'voluntary'!

Edited by Mairead
  • Like 1