Feeding chicken necks, information please

BDJ

Hi,

I have never fed chicken necks, I have always worried about the dog being greedy and throwing them down their throat without chewing it properly and choking etc.

But - everywhere I read they are recommended.   So, can I ask this group for some helpful advice pls.   I have a 4 mo sheltie pup who is very 'eager' with his food.   

Am I being a nervous nancy and feed them, or should they only be fed to dogs who are less fast/gobbly eaters?

If I should feed them - skin on or skin off?

thanks

I don’t feed chicken necks because I’ve noticed they’re often smelly and I worry that the high surface-area-to-volume ratio means that they have a high bacterial load (it’s a thing:shrug:).

Once a week, I buy a whole chicken, cut off the drumsticks and breast meat to cook for my husband and myself, then feed the remainder (raw) to my dogs. That provides an inexpensive meal or two for all of us.

I ensure that there is some skin and meat in the chicken I give to the dogs.

Here’s a balanced blog about feeding bones.

https://www.bentonsroadvet.com.au/feeding-bones-to-your-pet/

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 2

:) I have always fed chicken necks to pups - frozen , so they have to chew ...   they can't be just scoffed. Pick the biggest necks , and leave skin on . 
The problem with chicken necks is that they are the size/shape of a dog's oesophagus, and can cause choking. 
Small necks can be fed too - just hammer them to break them up , and make them soft like coarse mince .

Edited by persephone
  • Like 3

I feed chicken necks and have done so for years. My Greyhound pups are started on them around 5 weeks old so a 4 month old Sheltie should be fine. You could always feed a whole carcass if you are nervous or a wing. I've never had a problem with "off" necks and I get them from a pet food store.

• Like 2

I have border collies & feed them drumsticks.  I have never fed chicken necks but used to feed turkey necks, but they are now hard to find & more expensive than chicken drumsticks, which are often on special.  I have always fed them straight from the freezer .  It takes them longer to chew them & they have lovely teeth.  I also feed frozen pilchards

• Like 1

I’ve always fed my dogs chicken necks and only ever had one issue. I have always chopped mine into pieces though ( just something I do) Molly was on prednisolone once  for some reason and a side effect was that it made her ravenous and unbeknown to me she obviously gulped them down. She then started vomiting and because she hadn’t chewed them they scratched her oesaphagus which caused some bleeding but after a visit for some anti nausea meds she was fine. 

• Like 1

We have had dogs pass out eating them so its good to be cautious.
Some dogs no matter what you do with them freeze,bash an end are just not meant to eat them so yes supervise.
I never feed them brought that day always freeze first .
Some dont have the stomach acids for them to be a viable choice either & dont overload with too many.
Use brains & common sense if it doesnt look successful then the world wont end if never feed again 

• Like 4

I've just given a decent sized neck to the four 4 week old small breed pups I'm fostering here.... the thing is way too big for them to swallow, and they are just getting their teeth in, so there has been much licking and attempts to chew on it... and a bit of tug-o-war... lol! Their mum has demolished hers in record time.

T.

• Like 2

Have always fed chicken necks to dogs and cats from early in their lives. Freezing them slows many piggies down and hitting them with the meat mallet changes their shape so they’re less likely to be a choking risk.

• Like 1