How's This For a X Breed - Another Designer Breed?

I’ve just seen  another cross I’ve not heard of before. In the trading post there are Rottle puppies for sale for $2000. Apparently a Rottle is a Rottweiler x groodle   :banghead:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

The rescue I'm fostering for charges around $1000 for small puppies, and around $600-650 for adult dogs.

But then, take into account that my foster boy Prince has had a weightloss journey with very expensive metabolic diet food, then had TPLO knee surgery ($4700), and now his other knee is unstable and the rescue will be paying for any surgery that may require in the future... $650 doesn't even go anywhere near covering the costs of his care to date.

I say if a rescue can get a decent adoption fee for a desirable type of dog, then go for it... the "profit" will simply go towards those dogs whose fee doesn't cover the costs of their care.

That said, one could get a pedigreed purebred dog for $1500 and up... the choice is in the purchaser's hands, yes?

T.

• Like 2

My current foster boy Albert is only listed for $350 for a purebred pei who has had his entropian surgery done. Because of how sick he was initially they started a  Go Fund Me for him (which I've never seen them do before). I know his vetwork has cost at least $5,000.

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Like 4

Yes I know that the vet work gets right up there, some of the wee white westie-dugs are in shocking shape when they arrive at rescue and the cost paid by their new owners doesn't come within cooee of those costs, there is a fund-raiser picnic this weekend which is always fun.

a winner may even receive a lucky door (I hope I win...need a new door)

1855619074_westieparty431749204_795778549260180_5821025719960908452_n.thumb.jpg.a4764e2d08d87c4c7ba09f59249d7a46.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

I'm going to share that on FB Boronia!

there was 60+ Westies there last time, it was a sea of white with sticky-up tails. Most of the little ferals got on though there was a couple that should have  visiting a psychiatrist beforehand.

We raised over $1500

• Like 5

On 20/3/2024 at 4:06 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

:dropjaw:
That’s obscene.

Edit. My reaction is more about the $1,500 adoption fee.

Nope.   Don’t know this organisation, so I am only assuming that this pricing is aimed at ensuring this dog is adopted by someone committed to his wellbeing, not to mention the costs incurred by all ethical rescue groups.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Nope.   Don’t know this organisation, so I am only assuming that this pricing is aimed at ensuring this dog is adopted by someone committed to his wellbeing, not to mention the costs incurred by all ethical rescue groups.  

They have a lot of large harder-to-adopt breeds at a lower fee who will eat, microchip, desex, vaccinate, hw test, bedding, training and parasite prevention their way through their fee very fast.  It's just basic economics. The problem isn't with this well regarded charity who hasn't ever bred a single pup themselves.   

• Like 1

His name and looks made me think of Ziggy Stardust.

Back in the day when the dogs were pure breeds or Bitza; and who cared what they were crossed with.

Why call any dog designer

they are not handbags.

As for fees $1500 dollars does not go far at the Vet or visits to the groomer.

If i was looking for a dog and this one came up , i would jump at it , but thats because  i like scruffy looking dogs , and  the GWP is up there amongst them , my mates got one he's a great dog , smart but goofy , really nice dogs with a personality that suits my own .

However if they became popular and purposly bred for profit i would stay WELL AWAY from them , i would not want to encourage it by giving my money , think i'd just buy a pedigree GWP  , if i could afford one , i don't know what they go for

Regards 1500 dollars , well   Thats a hard one ,  i argue with my wife over this subject , so i've got no chance with you lot  LOL ,    i bought a dog years ago from the pound   ,  can't remember how much  100 maybee 200 dollars ,  i'm talking  probably 20 years ago , bought him has a companion for a rotty pup i had ,  , after a few days , i actually hated the thing ,  just could'nt take to the yapping crying , pooing weeing little thing that annoyed the hell out of my self and my neigbors , it just constantly  howled and cried day and night , BUT he was a little white fluffy thing that had become very popular , after a few days and   a couple of nasty notes left in my letterbox from irate neighbors i decided he had to go ,  now i advertized him and   my phone did'nt stop ringing ,  people were actually offering me more than i paid for him ,   these white fluffy designer dogs were popular .

But at the same time  a elderly lady  we knew , had  just lost her long time freind   so i approached her , if she wanted him , she could'nt afford  a couple hundred dollars like i said it was a lot of money 20 years ago , so i  asked if she wanted him for nothing ,, she was reculant at first , so i took him around to her house to show her , well it was love at first sight both of them ,  , when i left the house ,  this dog was curled up asleep on her lap , she was promising ro pay me so much a week ,  i told her NO way i don't want money just a good home , spend it on food , for him ,    my wife still goes around to see her now in a nursing home , and i believe her room is like a shrine to that dog   her  companion for many years after  money whilst important to me takes second place to finding a good home .

But by and large i do think people should pay , not everyone is like me   lots of people will not look after something  , be it animal or mechanical , if its free .   and with that in mind i doubt i would pay 1500 dollars for a rescue dog  , i got annoyed at the rspca , when the  current dog i own was  actually  $350   same has all the dogs they had  when i went in enquired said i would have it ,  but when i went in to pick it up the next day  , they demanded $450    i asked why the jump in price and was told ,  because  dogs like him are popular we can sell them all day everyday  , so want more for him , , i had my heart set on him so payed the extra , but it left a sour taste in my mouth that has lasted for the last 8 years i've owned him , probably because   i had actually  bought  dogs from them before ,  once i even donated a  worker of mine to go in there and spend a week painting kennels  i paid his wages for the week  , i felt ripped off , it was'nt the money  it was the proverbial principal of the thing ,

Same has recently looking for another dog , i wanted a adult dog     skip the mess ,  so its obvious  a breeder with an older dog , i approached a few who advertized , all advertized , brought up with children in the house bla bla bla ,, but NON  yes not one of the dogs i enquired about would give me a gaurantee they were house trained ,  that was  my BIGGEST priority ,     yet all wanted big money for  them dogs , not a good home ,  money was the key factor ,  so just like the breeder  checks out the buyer i was checking out the breeder ,, in fact i  could'nt believe    it when i seen the price of some dogs 5 years of age , that being big breeds probably would'nt live much past 8 or 9 before they were costing me big vets bills ,  .

Fine line between whats the most important , money or  a good home  . I know if for some reason my little mate had to go , a good home  over  money would be my priority all day everyday ,, but on the other hand  unless you were like this elderly lady i knew personaly ,  i would 'nt trust  that giving him away would gaurantee a good home in fact iit could work the opposite ,, hard one is'nt it , 12 years ago  a young girl  had to  get rid of her 10 month stumpy tail  cattle dog ,  i said to her i would take him but  did'nt want to pay   just promised a good home , i had him 12 months ,, then after minding him for  3 weeks while we went on holiday , my son and his children were    sad they had to give him back , i decded  that they could take him he would be better off with them ,   outdoor active familly , , he's coming to the end now  but had a great life well looked after cherished member of the familly , . If i knew then how he would off turned out i would of paid thousands for him  and considered it worth every cent ,  but at the time  alls i was willing to offer was a good home , the girl was just glad someone would take him .

Like i said its a hard one

Edited by coneye
  • Like 1