Groomers Grumble

What is the worst coat to clip that you have found?

For me a swag of maltese X silkies that my blades all just hate, horrible soft cotton wooly stuff Yuck!!!

Why can't owners ensure that fluffy or benji empty out before they bring them?

:thumbsup:

Why do owners say "He has never done that before" after fluffy trys to reduce your number of fingers or shorten your nose.

Then you discover every other groomer in town has been bitten too!

Do you get many dogs who have coats that matt to the skin overnight?

Normally owned by people who brush them all the time :rofl:

How about the owners that want fluffy to go home with 2 inches of coat when the poor thing is matted to the skin

and only a #10 is going to do the job.

Why is that the nicest dogs with the best owners, who bring you morning tea and always remember you at Xmas, move away??

Actually I have a swag of excellent owners just now and half of them are being transferred or changing jobs.

Some lucky groomers will get some new really top dogs.

Nadia I'm right there with you! I had 7 dogs booked for today.....TWO showed up. I can not believe it!! That is the worst day I have ever had. I cant believe 5 dogs did not show. These are regular customers too.

ETA: I hate those coats too. Its like the blades just glide over the top of them.

Have you heard of the new IVAC clipper by Laube? Looks good...if it ever comes to australia.

Edited by Ari

Where are you Nadia?

If I ever get another Poodle, I'll need you!

And yes - from reading all the stuff here, I'm one of the better ones! :love:

No way I would try to clip, but washing and brushing I can do - about 99% anyway. :cry:

:laugh:

Black Cockers: thick, curling coats. Although the worst matted Cocker I did was golden #15 on the poor things lower legs

Oh, but we wash him everyweek

Fabulous, wash your matty flea infested [small](well that's a lie, Ive only seen two dogs with fleas)[/small] dog and let him writh about on the law so leaves and bindis get stuck into his drying matts stabbing him as he walks about. Meanwhile you've accomplished nothing because you couldn't through his matts to cleanse his skin and now his matts are sopping wet and tightening up :laugh:

*calm breaths* I've got my poodle coming in tomorrow

worst clip would have to be 2 pug x shihtzu's i have. they have this wirey coat that ends up with track marks on it no matter how i clip it! thank god they always get a #7 and dont let it grow... it would be hiddious!

Why can't owners ensure that fluffy or benji empty out before they bring them?

at the salon we joke about hiring somebody just to pick up all the poo and mop the wee.... but the joke seems become more serious with each day.

Why do owners say "He has never done that before" after fluffy trys to reduce your number of fingers or shorten your nose.

Ours are pretty honest actually!! Worst injury ive had at work so far is when i caught the top of my finger on the rake while doing a BC. almost needed stitches!!

Do you get many dogs who have coats that matt to the skin overnight?

today i shaved FOUR dogs off as #10 they were so matted. :laugh:

it screwed up all the other appointments because i didnt expect to be spending so long on these dogs.

Why is that the nicest dogs with the best owners, who bring you morning tea and always remember you at Xmas, move away??

haha this is true!! we have clients that are so darling... one bought us a cake last week. a few of them tip us and many praise us everytime they see us. its nice to be appreciated for all the hard work. at xmas time we get lots of chockies!!

One of my nicest and longest standing clients ( 17 continuous years of her dogs) came to see me a few weeks ago, she brought me a beautiful card with a photo of her last dog and thanked me for looking after him for his long hairy lifetime, he had just passed away.

She said after all these years it was very strange not to have a dog but that she was going to travel and had decided not to get another dog. :love:

I was very touched and thought what a shame that the nice ones move out of your life etc etc.

She rang me yesterday to say her hubby had presented her with a new puppy, and it will be coming for its first face feet and tail next week :laugh:

The lovely ones make it very rewarding.

that is very nice!!

i had a pretty average day today. a couple of shave offs. a Moodle. Who ever thought the curl of a poodle but the texture of a Maltese would be a good mix is an idiot. this dog looked like a poodle, but its hair matted like a maltese. i had to shave it off mostly as a #7. i did a #5 in the parts i could. *sigh*

Where I used to work I would get all of the above, but where I am living now they are all the nicest little dogs with great owners. Maybe because alot of the owners are horse people and they are more realistic??

Alot of the fluffies are on acreage with paralysis ticks so the owners are happy for the dogs to be clipped right back. I actually miss doing fancy clips/scissors.

In saying that though I dont put up with biters anymore and explain to the owner that their dog and I have had a "personality clash" and recommend they go elsewhere next time. I know that I am super lucky, I love all my clients dogs now and their owners are just as great. :thumbsup:

We had a little fluffy try to take fingers off earlier this week :thumbsup: and the muzzle didn't fit properly because the dog was small! Must talk to work about getting some for the real littlies . . .

Kavik, try tying the dogs mouth shut with a piece of stocking or crepe bandage. Tie one knot over the top of its nose, then one under its nose and then pass the ends behind the head and tie. This is how I've had to muzzle some small dogs.

that is very nice!!

i had a pretty average day today. a couple of shave offs. a Moodle. Who ever thought the curl of a poodle but the texture of a Maltese would be a good mix is an idiot. this dog looked like a poodle, but its hair matted like a maltese. i had to shave it off mostly as a #7. i did a #5 in the parts i could. *sigh*

:rofl: I don't envy you.

I'm not a groomer, but clipped a friend's labXstandard poodle. Even though he was brushed regularly, it was alot harder to manage and clip than poodle coat. Most people think a poodleX coat is EASIER to manage- NOT TRUE!

I have found the majority of the popular XX's have weird coats, the textures and combinations can be hard to deal with. Nothing easy care about any of them that I have experienced.

I clip a std poodle x great dane, who is the result of a true accident.

She actually has a quite decent coat to deal with, very poodle like but not a huge coat, she is kept clipped off and just has a scissored scrufy face and a shortish top knot that sort of parts and sits pretty flat, and a huge tail that we try to keep under control to trim , it is lethal I tell you.

She is a BIG girl.

Oh, so true, all of you!

I have found that a lot of my lovely old dogs are dying lately (not in here :o ).

I hate the ones that come in with a poodle cross something and they want it to look like a poodle :rofl: I usually ask why they didn't just get a pure bred poodle?

And then there are the ones that have a pure bred poodle and say 'oh don't make him look like a poodle will you?'

Can't win.

And the ones that get brushed EVERY day! Yer, right. I know exactly what you mean dear, I know you brush every day, its just the type of coat :rofl:

And yes, when you have so many booked and half don't come in. Like I am going to be around a long time cause I can pay the rent NOT!

And the ones that come in half an hour late and still want the dog finished at the same time. What the?

And the list goes on and on doesn't it.

My worst clip was an Old English called Rebecca, who was flyblown so badly I cried, she just stood so still while I clipped her, she knew I was trying to make her feel better. It was many years ago, but I have never forgotten her.

Trish