If You Could Trial Any Breed....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to trial with my Keeshond and Finnish Lapphund (they're both only puppies)... BUT... I would LOVE to trial with a Berner or Newfy!! You just don't see many of them out there in OB and I think it'd be fun(ny)...!

Edited by TerraNik

She has the potential I just need to commit to putting the effort in.

I hear ya, that is my problem here with one of my labs. Wish I could find a training partner, might give me more motivation and give me an outside POV of what I'm doing wrong :thumbsup:

I'm NOR Perth and could really use a training partner when training my GSP! PM me if interested.

I'd love to trial a Groenendael - it's also a breed I have on my 'wish list' later on down the track

Ok well taken as given I love my BCs since I now own two.

I have also been privileged enough to work the most gorgeous aussie and an equally gorgeous toller so either of those two breeds would have to run a close second. Wait no its probably not the breed can't I just steal a certain couple of red dogs and a certain aussie :laugh: .

Watch out Ptolomy :thumbsup: .

I have also been privileged enough to work the most gorgeous aussie and an equally gorgeous toller so either of those two breeds would have to run a close second. Wait no its probably not the breed can't I just steal a certain couple of red dogs and a certain aussie :laugh: .

Watch out Ptolomy :thumbsup: .

Security Security.....can we please have security to the kennel zone. :laugh:

Has anybody ever been lucky enough to work somebody elses obedience dog at training or a trial and if so has this influenced your decision for the breed you would like to trial?

HMm second choice would be an Aussie Shepherd

Yup - I knew there was a secret admiration for the breed hidden in there somewhere :thumbsup:

Well my first choice would be Aussies of course, because they ARE the best.

I guess my next would be a BC, Toller or Golden, but that's only because they are my next favourite breeds. Nothing beats a happy working Goldie - they have such a charm about them.

To be honest, whatever breed happened to land on my doorstep, I would LOVE to trial as I think you learn from any experience no matter how good or bad they are......

Ptolomy - I have had the pleasure of working a few friends dogs... real eye openers... I would say that the best dogs i've worked though are Aussies :laugh:

I dunno... I love working the two I have in my own yard...... (even the one that is destined to never get a pass)

Edited by leopuppy04

Ptolomy - you know Lexi would love to come live with me - I'd throw her a zillion balls all day long and she would never want to go home :thumbsup: .

Sticks hand up in the air for being lucky enough to work another dog. Hmmm I think Ptolomy should come for another visit as Kenzie might just persuade her that certain BCs are worth working :laugh: . In fact I think she is part toller but we better not tell her breeder otherwise she might never let you near her dogs or puppies again.

Has anybody ever been lucky enough to work somebody elses obedience dog at training or a trial and if so has this influenced your decision for the breed you would like to trial?

Yes - good point! I had forgotten but many years ago I spent some time training a friend's Standard Poodle youngster who was in show puppy clip - I moved interstate so didn't take it any further unfortunately. I also did agility with a friend's Tibetan Terrier (correct name?) - awesome little dog - looked like a mop on speed :D

Something I didn't have to bend to signal would be nice.

Then I'd make every obedience judge trial a little dog so they could realise that giving your signals in front of the dog is not "exaggerating" them when the dog is below your knee height and you have to stoop to do it.

Off soapbox now. :D

Then I'd make every obedience judge trial a little dog so they could realise that giving your signals in front of the dog is not "exaggerating" them when the dog is below your knee height and you have to stoop to do it.

Off soapbox now. ;)

I understand your beef - I have a friend whose sheltie works a little wide - we think its because she has big breasts and the dog can't see her face.

HOWEVER - having trialed in Qld, VIC and SA in the last 12 months I have to say there are a lot of people trialling who use exaggerated signals. I am not sure if they have watched others trialling and have just copied, or really do think that their dogs need a stand signal with the left hand that sweeps across the owners body and as far over to their left hand side that their arm will reach - oh and turning the shoulder will allow for another couple of inches. :D When I first attended dog classes 12 years ago - this was how I was shown to give a stand signal.

When people send me clips to watch - its usually one of the first things I comment on.........isn't it.......(names withheld LOL)

Oi Ptolomy but some of us have taken it on board and who gave some lovely signals at the last trial ;) - well at least I think I did. Now to tidy up that bloody sit in the COP you were bagging me about. Have to say though the new drop is stunning if I don't say so myself :D . Stand well hmmmm sorry the baby in training still doesn't stand and Ness's isn't going to change so will have to take a rain check on that one.

Edited by ness