Dog Dressage

Dressage:

the method of training horses to perform manoeuvres as a display of obedience

Doggy Dressage - say no more.

Google is his friend - although not always. He can always look the word up if he wants to pontificate in a thread.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like beating your head against a wall, if you don't understand a word Midol, next time just google it......

Actually, I would say that majority of people will have heard and have a basic understanding of dressage.....Olympics anyone?

Edited by tollersowned

tollersowned I have to disagree with you here. The majority of people don't really know what dressage is. It was my number 1 passion for a long time. What should be pointed out for people that don't know what dressage is that the dog trainer is getting the dog to do 'dressage' movements. e.g. spanish walk - were the dog is lifting its front legs up, passage - were they are jogging slowly with some elevation, half-pass - were they are going sidewards. The thing with dressage is that these are natural movements for a horse, they do something similar in a paddock just playing. They aren't very natural movements for a dog, which is what makes it interesting to me.

If non horse people watch the clip I put up and then watch the doggie dancing again they will be able to see how she is copying the dressage movements.

I love watching dressage - cool how they can get the horses to do that and amazing how the aids are so subtle! I don't get to see if often but I will watch when I can, one of the things I try to watch when the Olympics are on.

tollersowned I have to disagree with you here. The majority of people don't really know what dressage is.

I agree actually, most wouldn't really know the finer details, but most would know the basic of what it is about......even if it is just thinking of a horse trotting around the ring. Enough for people to actually know what the clip posted has in common with dressage regardless of their experience with horses. JMO of course.

Edited by tollersowned

Haha anyone who watched the olympics probably just thinks of dressage as a horse going along like "pepi le pew" thanks to that dopey jockey :thumbsup:

The only dressagey tricks my sibe can do is a dodgy pirouette (totally on the forehand) and some airs above the ground - not allowable in your modern dressage test, hmm bit of work to do yet :provoke:

Thanks for sharing Tangerine Dream that is truly an awesome display of teamwork, training, trust, control and obedience ...

And JulesP ... it brought me to tears ... the incredible beauty of the two of them working together ... incredible feat of training, obedience and teamwork ...

I couldn't care what it's called but it's a fantastic example of someone who understands how to develope a great relationalship with their dog. The dog knows what's expected of it and who's calling the shots and is working accordingly.

Great clip TD, thanks.

Haha anyone who watched the olympics probably just thinks of dressage as a horse going along like "pepi le pew" thanks to that dopey jockey :D

:p :eek: ;) He was certainly good for a laugh - not much good for anything else.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw

If you watch that you can see what the doggie lady was trying to achieve.

Wow! That was absolutely stunning. I've done dressage comp in my life-time (nothing anywhere near as good as that though) and I can really appreciate how hard the rider is working within himself to achieve the balance and timing that is required to keep the horse collected, forward and under as well as flexed in the appropriate direction. Stunning workout .... and the routine wasn't short either.

Makes me miss being in the saddle. Top notch feeling having so much controlled but willing energy and power underneath you.

Thanks for posting this link and that of the "Doggy Dance - heel to music". I have seen the latter one before, but enjoyed seeing it yet again. I think my favourite move was the 'back to back'.

I just asked everyone at home here at the moment what they thought the word Dressage meant:

The answer was pretty much, "horse fancy feet?" and "obedience for horses".

lol. personally i know what it is, and i think most girls would know what it is, because it's every little girl's dream to have a horse, so they learn about what horses do, and watch them on tv. etc.

just my humble opinion. xx

Edited by Bonnie Parker

My first experience seeing grand prix dressage was the 1994 Olympics, Klaus Balkenhol and Goldstern, it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. I'd been riding for a few years and never seen anything like it before, when you sit on horse and it doesn't do what you want it to do that kind of communication is really awe-inspiring - much like the dog training is to me these days :rofl:

Here you go Midol - the most watched freestyle dressage test ever.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw

If you watch that you can see what the doggie lady was trying to achieve.

To be fair to Midol if you don't know what dressage is then you are not likely to get it.

thankyou for this link, loved it!

Our local dressage club holds doggie dressage days, haven't been yet but i'm feeling inspired!

i guess if you dont know what dressage is.... clearly some ppl would be confused with dressage/dancing.

the dog has shown some lovely moves that some horses would never be able to do! very clever :rofl: