Help Needed For Rottie Girl - Ex Blacktown

Stefie

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess to have actually rolled up her medication in half a slice of ham to give to her.

If you have difficulty giving her her pills, try the lowest fat cheese. I had to go on low fat everything because of high cholesterol so don't feel guilty now about using cheese as a medication wrapper :)

I confess to have actually rolled up her medication in half a slice of ham to give to her.

If you have difficulty giving her her pills, try the lowest fat cheese. I had to go on low fat everything because of high cholesterol so don't feel guilty now about using cheese as a medication wrapper :thumbsup:

It's the salt that is the issue, where fluid retention is the problem with the heart condition, low fat cheese is still salty.

Maybe try low fat salt-free margarine. In very small quantities the effect should be negligible, especially if the dog is on diuretics for the fluid retention.

Stick with natural, Merna, and you should be safe. Processed foods are usually very high in salt and preservatives.

I make chicken stock by boiling a whole chicken in a large stock pot, I take the chicken out and let the stock sit in the refrigerator overnight, skim the fat off the top and then strain it through material to get all of the fat out. Most important. I then cook my rice in the stock by the absorbtion method (one cup rice to four cups stock, bring to the boil slowly and simmer until stock is absorbed) so the rice has all the goodness of the stock in it.

I do similiar for my pack. You can add some veges and garlic too for variety - my dogs love it. Or pasta but I am not sure of the salt content of pasta if any.

Next door to the pound is Red Lea chicken - they sell boxes of chicken frames for $10 per box (about 50 in each box) and also wing tips which are great especially for smaller dogs but big ones love just as much for $10 per 5kg bag. Good value when you have lots of mouths to feed.....

(They also have wings, drumsticks etc)

I also feed fresh raw bones (brisket, ribs and necks) 3 times a week for their teeth - most butchers only charge $2 a bag.

Edited by k9angel

If you have difficulty giving her her pills, try the lowest fat cheese. I had to go on low fat everything because of high cholesterol so don't feel guilty now about using cheese as a medication wrapper :rofl:

It's the salt that is the issue, where fluid retention is the problem with the heart condition, low fat cheese is still salty.

Maybe try low fat salt-free margarine. In very small quantities the effect should be negligible, especially if the dog is on diuretics for the fluid retention.

Oh, I see :thumbsup: There is always fresh chicken breast.

Fish oil too might seem the obvious supplement for the joints, except that she has had unidentified blood loss, so thinning the blood (as I believe fish oil can do) might be contra-indicated.

Also does anyone know if dogs have issues with electrolytes or potassium loss if on diuretics, and is there a vet treatment for that?

Oh, I see There is always fresh chicken breast.

Yep.. fresh, boiled chicken is the healthiest alternative for popping pills into.

Also does anyone know if dogs have issues with electrolytes or potassium loss if on diuretics, and is there a vet treatment for that?

Vets should be skilled enough to be able to administer diuretics without creating issues with electrolyte imbalance... potassium (and magnesium) can become low in some dogs and they should have blood levels done.. and suppliments added if need be. Suppliments should NOT be given without prior blood tests.

If her diet is well controlled, she should be able to get what she needs from a natural diet.. if not.. tablets/capsules can be given in a dose specified by the vet.

Hi all,

May is doing well, she is actually showing us some things we have never seen before....

1- She loves other dogs and cats!!! she is best friends now with a cat and she sleeps next to her! She has a beautiful nature with all animals including birds..

2- She wags her tail constantly now and her ears go up when u talk to her!

3- She is also very very clever, she understands everything u tell her, eg come on May do u want to go to outside for a walk? she will get up straight away and wait at the front door, she has a walk around the front yard, does what she wants then goes to the front door to go inside.

4- She does not like the collar and lead and walks beside u, if u put the collar on she will not move..

5- She will only look at you and respond if u say her name "MAY" she responds so well to her name and it suits her so much, its like really weird... this is how it was meant to be after everything she went through i guess :laugh:

6- She has the WHOLE run of the house, and has a best friend named Boss who is also a male rotti..

Boss knows she is sick so does not do anything to make her uncomftorble... He looks after her and lets her sleep near him. He is also a good boy, he is so gentle and soft with her, he understands whats going on.

7- She is eating ONLY FRESH natural foods and she is loving her food and eating really well. :laugh:

8- She wants to always be around people and loves to SNEAK INTO THE KITCHEN AT NIGHT :laugh:

Well guys i think i have let u all know, she is doing well, and we are all happy that she does not seem to be suffering or in any pain at the moment. Attached are some pics of her in the car coming home.

merna.

post-4241-1242623529_thumb.jpg

post-4241-1242623541_thumb.jpg

post-4241-1242623589_thumb.jpg

post-4241-1242623625_thumb.jpg

So glad to hear she is doing well.

She is so beautiful.The photos are so touching.Such a lovely sweet soul.

So glad she has made friends.Boss and her and the puss sound lovely.

Such a great save. Thanks again.

can't wait for her next update :thumbsup:

She looks so much happier! What a miracle dog!

Just goes to show - never give up!

If May even gets only another couple of months of a happy life it was all worth the effort.

Thank you Merna!

And thank you everyone else who has contributed financially and with moral support in this thread to make it all happen!

:thumbsup::):(

If May even gets only another couple of months of a happy life it was all worth the effort.

Thank you Merna!

And thank you everyone else who has contributed financially and with moral support in this thread to make it all happen!

:thumbsup::):(

What a wonderful day it is to see May so happy with Merna........makes it all worth the effort and love we put in....and of course the faith .

Thank you Merna!

Yes thank you Merna for having the heart and soul to give this lovely old girl a good life for whatever time she has left.

She looks lovely and she looks happy. What a great rescue story.

Thank you for not giving up on her.