Best Food For Weight Gain

I have Jethro on EaglePack's Active dog feed, but he doesn't get to anywhere near his RDI of the feed... He only eats about half of his feed and then seems full. And now he won't eat breakfast, and I need to get some coverage over his ribs and spine!

What other foods have people had success with for helping to put weight on with fussy eaters? He won't even eat my Lab's Hills J/D, which surprised me because both my dogs and my cats :) love this, the cats will steal from the dogs or try break into the bag! :)

My next try was going to be a puppy food, does this sound like a good option?

I find lamb flaps good for putting weight on a dog or any nice bone with plenty of meat and fat with the added addition of the teeth cleaning as well.

Tinned sardines mixed through the meal you currently give or an egg or yoghurt in it may make him want to consume more. Or rather than 1 large feed 4 or 5 smaller feeds during the day.

My Jazz can be awful for keeping weight on and when I find she is dropping weight I go to pieces of lamb flaps a couple of times a week and she puts the condition back on.

I have a skinny dog, she used to drive me nuts. I feed Nutrience Active, and she gets fresh mince with it, she gets chicken frames every few days and a smallish bone at night before bed. Seem to have finally worked out what works for her!

The only eagle pack we have found stacks the weight on is the "power formula"

You must own the rare kind that enjoys hills :shrug:

What else do you feed besides just dry??

I agree with other checking for health issues is always a good option & many fussy eaters seem to have tonsil issues BUT many can be fussy or simply not enjoy what is being feed.

Pro plan salmon & sensitive skin also is good at putting weight on but all ours are feed raw meat aswell

Have you tried Dr.Billinghursts BARF?

I have only recently switched over to it in the Rabbit formula and my dogs would sell their souls for it, even my fussy eater who won't even eat specially prepared boiled chicken, etc. absolutely vacuums the plate when the BARF is being fed.

When BARF first came out many years ago the patties were very nasty looking, soggy things that I wouldn't even feed after I bought it, but now it is absolutely fantastic, well packaged, smells great and very appealing to even the pickiest eater.

this might not be helpful but...no matter how much i gave my dog she would hardly ever eat. so now i feed her next to the cat, and she gulps it down, i guess she doesnt want to share even though she doesn't want it. i then reward her for eating and now (after a few weeks) she eats all her food at once without the need for the cat

I had a skinny dog which I tried everything for,

many different premium foods, lamb flaps, satin balls, barf.

She would only ever eat a portion of her RDI.

When she did eat more due to the yummiest of what was on offer she would occasionally vomit it back up.

I had the best success with a premium dry food for sensative stomach.

Everytime I offered something else it put right back of her food.

Increasing her appetitie did not happen straight away but eventually she maintained a good weight with good eating habits.

The only eagle pack we have found stacks the weight on is the "power formula"

I'm currently feeding Eagle Pack Power Formula to my girl because she seems to have lost condition (she was previously on Eagle Pack Holistic Salmon & Anchovy). However, I must confess I have never read the RDI on the back. I give her a cup in the morning and a cup and a half at night and watch for a week. If she's putting too much weight on I cut it back, not enough and I add. I think you need to feed whats right for your dog and only you will be able to tell.

I also give her chicken carcusses, sardines, eggs etc.

He has only been with us for a week, having come from a shelter environment where he felt very stressed. I have started mixing a little advance can food through, and it seems to be doing the trick.

Will try adding a bit of lamb flaps and meat over the next few days... he had a few soft stools after arriving and I didn't want to aggravate his tummy. He is a bit of a stress head, and won't eat around competition... Will see how he goes over the next week, he's going in for his weigh in tomorrow to see if he's gained anything, although I doubt it because he's had such a big change this last week!

I add Weetbix (2 morning and again at night) during winter to keep the weight on otherwise he drops condition incredibly fast....I also used them with Cadence when he wasn't eating very much at all as a filler to keep condition on him - works a treat! I add a teaspoon of milk just to flavour it...

a week geez thats a hole different ball game

Weetbix normally comes out quicker the other end.

Whilst im not a big fan of tin i do believe it has its place in the right situation & this dog could be one that will do well with tin mixed for awhile & then go slowly.

To be honest if you have only had the dog a week i wouldnt be rushing to gain weight.It will happen ,i would be more concerned with settling the dog which will mean a relaxed dog isnt a stressed dog & the doing stress weight loss.

I would doubt this dog has ever had premium food so it may be very foreign so sometimes using the basics & building up works wonders

So new! He will settle and over time you'll work out what suits him. In the short term, don't be afraid to use tins in moderation as a taste tempter. Select the highest calorie dry foods (Nutrience Active, Artemis Power, Euk Perfomance etc) to base the diet on. Sardines in oil are great as is the aforementioned lamp flaps - but don't try to fill him up too quickly. Keep in mind as well that if he munches on a bone for a while he is less likely to feel hungry as his brain has decided he's eaten.

Good luck with your new boy.

Sags

After ensuring that there are no medical conditions to take into consideration two slices of wholemeal bread every day will soon make a difference. Plus sardines and cod liver oil are always good for an extra kilo or two