111 members have voted

1. 1. how often do you wash you dog

• daily
    • weekly
    • fortnightly
    • monthly
    • yearly
    • never

ive done some reading about how often people wash there dog, there is a lot of mixed answers BUT i do hear alot that you should only wash a few times a year, or your stripping there oils ect,

when speeking to my vet he sed he hasent washed his dog in over 9 years

i personaly wash my dog every 2 weeks and shes fine.

what about the rest of you?

Edited by APBT

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I try for once a week but at the most it will be two weeks.

I think it depends on the dog as well. Mine sleep in bed with me and are always being handled so I don't want them to smell at all. But if you had a dog that was outdoors then you might not feel the need to keep it so clean.

I try for once a week but at the most it will be two weeks.

I think it depends on the dog as well. Mine sleep in bed with me and are always being handled so I don't want them to smell at all. But if you had a dog that was outdoors then you might not feel the need to keep it so clean.

i feel the same way as my dog sleeps inside and spends alot of time with the family aswell, so i like her to smell nice

once a year for the greys - if they're lucky!

they never have a doggy smell, but they usually get a "splash" during summer

is this becasue of the breed? or?

the breed - they have very fine coats, hardly moult, don't smell, so no reason to bath them.

they get a quick brush (soft horsey kind) one a week and that's it.

Every week, which I know is madness.

It's not good for their coats but I like squeaky clean dogs.

I tell my clients that less is best yet don't abide by my own advice :rofl:

I see my dogs poo on the run and the poo bounces off their back legs. When George wee's he often hits his front leg or Esme will walk underneath him and cop it allover her head.

I occasionally find a poo in the yard with a paw print. George sometimes wees in Esme's food bowl and sometimes I am too late to stop Esme walking through it and licking the edges too.

Dogs really are dirty.

I hate to think of all of this on my furniture, floors and even their bedding. That's why I wash them so much. I like to touch my dogs paws while I cuddle them so they are used to it. I know it's safe for me to bury my face in to their necks and invite them up on to the lounge for a cuddlefest. :rofl:

I picked monthly wash which i usually ends up being cause he has rolled in something stinky.... But i do try to leave it a few months at a time if we can. He gets a wash down in the tub with just some warm water at least once a week after coming back from the big park covered in mud. Swear my dog should have been born a pig instead!

never :rofl:

Mine will get a wash if they are at work and we are looking for stuff to do, if they have spent time at the vets i will wash them (hate vet smell)

Cant remember the last time i gave them a bath? Last year sometime maybe?

I sleep hugging my boy so I can't risk smelling icky when I wake up! I used to wash my dog once in a few months and dad commented once that I smelt awful and probably did not realise it! :rofl: So now I wash him weekly---but the weather is so cold now so I do it less.

During Summer and warm months - we bath Sash monthly. During Winter I don't bother as it's just too muddy in the backyard (unless she stinks to high heaven of course!!).

Chloe gets a bath only when she is stinky :rofl: She's too old and sick to be having baths which she hates all the time.

Every week, which I know is madness.

It's not good for their coats but I like squeaky clean dogs.

I tell my clients that less is best yet don't abide by my own advice :rofl:

I see my dogs poo on the run and the poo bounces off their back legs. When George wee's he often hits his front leg or Esme will walk underneath him and cop it allover her head.

I occasionally find a poo in the yard with a paw print. George sometimes wees in Esme's food bowl and sometimes I am too late to stop Esme walking through it and licking the edges too.

Dogs really are dirty.

I hate to think of all of this on my furniture, floors and even their bedding. That's why I wash them so much. I like to touch my dogs paws while I cuddle them so they are used to it. I know it's safe for me to bury my face in to their necks and invite them up on to the lounge for a cuddlefest. :rofl:

Are you sure you're not me in disguise! :)

Your answer is exactly my thoughts, although I don't think it is bad for them at all. Mine are all washed weekly, in an appropriate dog shampoo (at the moment it is Alloveen) and I have never had an issue with their coats. :rofl:

I wash one of my greyhounds once a fortnight because he is a grot and when he dose zoomies around the yard he then goes and plopps himself in the clamshell water (even in winter) so he tends to get honkie. The other grey once a month and when we get foster dogs they get done once they arrive.

A couple of times a year would be about all that is needed for my breed of choice (Rhodesian Ridgeback). They are a breed to be known for 'low smell' and like the greys, they have a fine, single coat.

I don't like the thought of bathing dogs more than once every 2 months for the mere fact of stripping oils from their coats.

Obviously there are 'special' times when a bath in less than that time might be needed.

they get a quick brush (soft horsey kind) one a week and that's it.

I use a rubber mit for mine - these are the only grooming tools that I find are soft enough for them but which also removes moulting hair and dander. What horse brush do you use, Anniek? Just an ordinary 'body brush' ? Or the softer kind (that I would use to 'polish off' a horse's coat)? Not sure that would get to the skin sufficiently.

Edited by Erny

During winter I don't wash Gyps very often, just when she's getting a bit smelly from playing in the rain. During Summer/spring I need to wash her every fortnight at the very least because she has fairly sensitive skin and the dry grass irritates her too much.

Riley had a bath last week, and it was his first bath in about 6 months.

In summer he used to get washed alot more when I had the hydrobath as Id wash him to get all the sand off.

Now I don't have the hydrobath he gets done only when smelly, which isn't that often.