Finnish Lapphund

Troy

Aw thanks guys :) Ooh I'll head over there! Hehe I had only planned for one, but Bear needed a home (and braces as it turned out, I kid you not) so he joined ours :) And yep they're both Articmal.

Edited by Millie-Moo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to get a dog, which will live in a townhouse with a Maltese Terrier,and after some suggestions that a Finnish Lapphund would be suitable I have looked at the breed pages, photos on this forum etc and see they are so cute!!

By the sounds of things they seem to have a lovely temperament similar to what I'm looking for.

Would they be suitable for townhouse living?

The dog I will get will be walked daily, sleep inside and have a fairly large (partly grassed) yard for a townhouse to run around in.

Hey Molly,

I own a lappie and a husky and I actually live in a townhouse. My dogs have a fairly large yard to run around in as well, though we do lots of other things with our dogs - agility, showing and obedience to name a few, and they get daily walks. Lappies do really well whenever they get to be inside with their families, so they would be fine in a townhouse with adequate exercise

Hi Molly - a townhouse is fine with a yard, as long as you are happy to do walks - Lappies are very smart too, so they need mental stimulation. Luckily they respond very well to training, so things like obedience are a very good activity to start with - and then down the track you may even look at dogs sports if you both enjoy it!

My question is how old is your Maltese? I ask because why Lappies usually get on well with other breeds (and cats are fine generally if they are bought up with them) Lappie puppies tend to be a little full on and if you have an elderly dog it may be bit much. However, if you think that your Maltese will adjust to a new canine family member, then I would certainly recommend that you contact some breeders to arrange a meeting in person ;)

I agree with Lappiemum Molly. I own an 8 yr old Cav X (Toby) and my Lappie (Ella) can be a bit much for him when she really wants to play. If Toby decides to run she can have a habit of pouncing on him. She much prefers bigger dogs to play with. When they are left home alone I keep them seperated just incase Ella was to hurt him. They love each other very much and get along fine but you need to keep an eye on things IMO.

:shrug: I got Kivi at 8 weeks old when my other dog was an elderly corgi with arthritis. I spoke to a few breeders about this situation before I committed to a Lappie puppy and the general answer was all puppies could be rambunctious, but Lappie puppies tend to pay attention and adjust their behaviour accordingly. This is exactly what I got with Kivi and he was an absolute angel with my old girl. Even when she was nearly deaf and blind and very short-tempered he tried so hard to keep out of trouble with her. I was not terribly worried about bringing a small breed puppy into the household after Penny died. Erik took about 3 hours to decide Kivi was his personal interactive toy and they have been BFF ever since.

My FL is fine inside too, our house isn't fenced so she lives inside but has the run of a 4 bedroom house with 2 large verandas so a bit bigger than a townhouse. She does need walkies or at least a decent game of fetch / snuffling in the garden every day but honestly when I skip a day here and there she doesn't seem to mind. Recently I was sick in bed all day and I took her out once around 7am for a wee, then not again 'til about 4pm and all she did all day was lie in my bed or on the floor and snooze. They're so relaxed :) Well.. mine is! :laugh:

• 8 months later...

Hi There

Another newbee to lappies here, I have been researching breeds for ages now and have recently come across lappies and i must say i am totally in love - how could i not be lol

I live in South Australia and cannot seem to find any breeders here can someone point me in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

QLD’s first Finnish Lapphund Picnic will be held on Sunday 15 April, 2012 starting at 10:00am.

Information has been provided below.

QLD’s first Finnish Lapphund & Friends Picnic

This is an open invitation to all Lappie owners and Lappie enthusiasts to join us for QLD’s first Lappie picnic.

When: Sunday 15 April, 2012 at 10:00am

Where: Tuckaroo Park, Nudgee Road, Nudgee

About Tuckaroo Park: this public park is a designated off-leash dog park. There are shady trees, seats and dog agility equipment provided inside the fully fenced enclosure. This dog park is situated right beside Schulz Canal and there is a small area for dogs to paddle and/or swim in.

Beside the fenced dog enclosure, there is a small jetty, BBQ facilities, shady trees, seating and a gazebo. This is where we will meet and set up.

Unfortunately, there are no public toilets at this park. There are however, public toilets at the two parks/boat ramps approximately 1km either side of Tuckaroo Park (along Nudgee Road).

What to bring: your Lappie/s on lead as well as water and a bowl for your dog. Also, bring your own morning tea, drinks and picnic essentials (e.g. chairs, rugs, picnic tables etc.).

It should be a great morning and it will be wonderful to see lots of Finnish Lapphunds gathered together at the same time. You are more than welcome to pass this information on to those you know who may be interested in attending.

We look forward to seeing you there!

I have also created an "event" through Facebook (QLD Finnish Lapphund and Friends Picnic) with all this information. :)

Edited by yobhonden

• 5 weeks later...

I have been researching dog breeds and had decided that a Keeshond was the breed for me....however in my thread in General someone suggested the Finnish Lapphund, and as I had never heard of them, I have been doing some research. And they are just lovely!!! :D So now I am torn, and can't decide which one will suit me better! I have conatcted breeders of both so hopefully they will be able to give me a better answer. But does anyone know if there are going to be pups available soon? I have been offered a 4 year old female Keeshond, but can't get her til september. So I'm wondering if I should be greedy and find a FL puppy AND get the keeshond girl too :laugh: :laugh:

I have been researching dog breeds and had decided that a Keeshond was the breed for me....however in my thread in General someone suggested the Finnish Lapphund, and as I had never heard of them, I have been doing some research. And they are just lovely!!! :D So now I am torn, and can't decide which one will suit me better! I have conatcted breeders of both so hopefully they will be able to give me a better answer. But does anyone know if there are going to be pups available soon? I have been offered a 4 year old female Keeshond, but can't get her til september. So I'm wondering if I should be greedy and find a FL puppy AND get the keeshond girl too :laugh: :laugh:

Ah that may have been me :laugh: If you pop into the Spitz thread in the breed sub forum there are a lot more people to talk too :) http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/137956-spitz-breeds/

• 4 years later...

Anyone able to provide more details about exercise requirements (and/or examples from personal experience) for Finnish Lapphunds? The information on the internet in general indicates ranges from moderate exercise to high, would love some information from personal experiences.

Anyone able to provide more details about exercise requirements (and/or examples from personal experience) for Finnish Lapphunds? The information on the internet in general indicates ranges from moderate exercise to high, would love some information from personal experiences.

Well I have a very laid back one. She's happy to lie around the house or go for a walk. She plays with the Cavs every now and then. I thought she'd be a lot more active.