Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Thornlie doesn't have that bad a rep! No more than any other suburb surrounding it. I'm actually currently in Forest Lakes, which is nice.

I heard good things about Applecross vet, good Labrador vet there, but I figured in an emergency it's too far to drive so I stuck local :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Seems there's a few Dolers in Thornlie or down that way anyway, you're all in good company! :rofl:

That really sucks about the City of Gosnells not being flexible with the 2 dog rule but yeah, look how they are behaving over the guy in the tree! I'm waiting for their next trick over that one :laugh:

I know of a few people who just have a third dog, don't register it, and no one knows the difference, especially if they are quiet and don't make a nuisance in any way.

You going to the BBQ on Saturday Rubystar? You might be ready for a drink after moving house!

I've applied to the City of Rockingham for an exemption to the 2 dog limit. Ranger came out a couple of weeks ago but still haven't heard back yet. Must ring them tomorrow. I'm surprised Gosnells is so strict on the limit, that sucks. :laugh:

I only have 2 Chihuahuas so you would barely notice a 3rd. :rofl: They aren't yappy either so I don't think the neighbours would mind.

I would avoid going down the route of getting a 3rd and not registering it. Wouldn't want a fine or put a dog in a situation where I may have to give them up.

You going to the BBQ on Saturday Rubystar? You might be ready for a drink after moving house!

Yep I'll be there! :laugh:

I would avoid going down the route of getting a 3rd and not registering it. Wouldn't want a fine or put a dog in a situation where I may have to give them up.

I would register it at the parents house. No way am I letting the council rule my life!!!! Whether anybody views it as sad or not, the dogs are a MASSIVE part of my life and I can think of nothing better than having another addition when the time is right :rofl: But I'm hoping to move house to another council area when the time is right for me to get a 3rd. I was merely enquiring today out of curiosity, it's not that I want the 3rd RIGHT NOW! Well ok, I DO want it right now, but like I said, I am a responsible dog owner and recognise that now is not the right time in my life to get that addition (and the council is not that reason!) :p

What council area are you in moosepup, just out of curiosity? I would love to start finding out council areas that actually do issue permits for additional dogs if they meet the requirements. I'm just appalled at City of Gosnells for not even assessing anybody, merely stating tough biccies!!!

Edited by RubyStar

On a happier note .. just wondering if any one has taken their dog camping down along the south west coast? Though not as far as Albany.

My Dad and I want to go camping over Easter and I really don't want to leave Ivy behind, and he's OK for her to tag along .. now the hard part is finding somewhere.

At the moment I'm going through a few pet friendly websites but none have comments on what it was like having a dog there. Plenty are dog friendly, which is great!

So guess I'm just after some personal experiences ..

Hey BB,

I know you are going camping but I did go down to Margaret River last year and stayed at the little house http://www.margarethouse.com.au/ and it was pretty good. Stayed in the little bungalow house (2nd pic on left). It was pretty basic but cheap (for Margaret River) and a really picturesque area. The fencing is pretty crap and they have a chook pen 50 metres away from the house which monte got into. But you can lock your dog inside the house if you want to go anywhere.

RubyStar - my suburb falls within the Rockingham council. I just needed to fill in an application form and pay $55. The ranger comes out to inspect your property, make sure there's adequate shelter, water, food, backyard room etc etc. They will also consult your immediate neighbours to see if they have any issue with it. I thought I would've heard back by now so I'll ring them later on. Let you know how I go! :laugh:

Thornlie doesn't have that bad a rep! No more than any other suburb surrounding it. I'm actually currently in Forest Lakes, which is nice.

I heard good things about Applecross vet, good Labrador vet there, but I figured in an emergency it's too far to drive so I stuck local :laugh:

I'm in Forest Lakes too, few hoons, had our car broken into recently but otherwise pretty quiet.

If anyone is interested there is a teaching vet practise at Swan Tafe Bentley where we take our fosters for their sterilisation, vacc, teeth clean etc, they are cheaper than normal vets as they are teaching students and very good.. I took my boy to get this teeth cleaned, our local vet quoted $600-800 and Swan did it for $150.

Do you know which council area that is in? My guess is she hasn't registered them. I won't dob anyone in with extra dogs, cos I think the 2 dog rule is extremely unfair! But if they are causing issues then that's another story...

i think the 2 dog rule is unfair too there people babies.

were under city of swan

I heard good things about Applecross vet, good Labrador vet there, but I figured in an emergency it's too far to drive so I stuck local :thumbsup:

I'm in Forest Lakes too, few hoons, had our car broken into recently but otherwise pretty quiet.

If anyone is interested there is a teaching vet practise at Swan Tafe Bentley where we take our fosters for their sterilisation, vacc, teeth clean etc, they are cheaper than normal vets as they are teaching students and very good.. I took my boy to get this teeth cleaned, our local vet quoted $600-800 and Swan did it for $150.

Thats a bargain :laugh:

Guest RosieFT

Rubystar - congrats on new house! very exciting :-)

We went camping for the first time with 2 kids and our fox terrier for 8 days just after Christmas in Bremer Bay and had a wonderful time. Dog friendly caravan park with lots of well behaved dogs. There was a track (quite long!) from caravan park to a beautiful dog beach which was stunning. White squeaky sand and turqouise water.. hmm will see if i can dredge up a photo... I was wondering how the dog was going to go as she can be pretty full on with a real zest for life and can get over excited about meeting new people/dogs etc. I think it was really, really good for her. She slept the 5hours in the car to get there, was on a run outside the tent and generally was very well behaved. If i had to take her and tie her up outside ablution block (as she occasionally gave these annoying yips if we left her), I would come out to find a crowd of children hugging her and talking to her - it was school holidays! But by the camp site nobody bothered her.

We then drove 6hours to Eagle Bay and spent another few days in a holiday home belonging to someone we know. Ahhh, bliss.. camping was good, but houses are SO much better LOL.

Rubystar

I have a friend who works for the City of Gosi, I have asked her to clarify the rule for me... Will let u know when she gets back to me.

Swan, you just apply, pay fee, i think letters get sent to surrounding neighbours, and if they dont have a prob you get the licence

I only just bought my house and moving in this weekend, so I will be stuck in City of Crapnells for a few years at least.

:thumbsup:

Congrats on the house RS!

I used to live in Kenwick for 5 years and my brother lived in Thornlie. I actually think they are great suburbs if you're in an OK part. They're not too far from the city or highways or the train.

We built a house in Forrestdale and moved there but I still miss some things about Kenwick (Like it's proximity to the airport when I have to make a 5am trip :laugh: )

Glad you had fun camping RosieFT! Sounds like Rosie had a ball (actually I bet she had lots of balls :thumbsup: ) Yeah bad joke.

FWIW Thornliegirl, I used to take Kyzer to Applecross vet (I work in Applecross) but didn't find them that great for a pet owner. I think they're more of a breeder vet, repro and all that. I use Vetwest in Canning Vale and I'm quite happy with them really. Haven't had a bad experience yet anyway.

Did they have to pay a fee or apply for a permit or something? Or simply had a ranger come? It might be slightly different if under Armadale's council. City of Gosnells suck big time. I'm sure if I called or went in to have a whinge, they'd just ignore me. I think it should be assessed on a case by case scenario. Or be sensible like NSW, no restrictions on dog numbers as long as they are well looked after and not a nuisance. Don't punish us all before hand in some sort of precautionary system to protect residents from ALL dogs that are quite obviously going to be neighbourhood nuisances (SARCASM TO THE MAX!) :laugh:

I know some people won't agree with me, but each to their own. This is something I feel passionate about and it upsets me, because I am one of those responsible dog owners, being punished for the morons out there who aren't as responsible!

I had the Gosnells ranger on my dooorstep the day my pups turned three months (Sunday). As I told him, I was doing the responsiable thing my pups would only be released to homes that signed a spay/neuter contract, I microchipped my pups and the ones I still had were getting their three month needle on the Monday and would then be picked up by their new owners. I still recieved a warning notice that all had to be gone within ten days. These pups were not causing any issues, most of the time they were inside, someone had looking over the fence and decided I had too many dogs. I still had one after the 10 days but no one came to check although it did cause me alot of stress as I wasn't going to release him to just anyone to get my numbers to councils approval. I had already knocked back a number of people who had enquired after pups and wasn't going to be forced into putting him into just any home. I only breed occassonally, I am looking at breeding another litter after three years without one as I am still hoping for a nice show pup for myself and want something to continue with the line I have so there is no point in having a kennel property. I hate the two dog rule especially when we are people who are involved in so many dog activities and our dogs aren't just left ignored in the backyard. Perhaps our canine council should push for some leniancy for canine members who are invoved in activities with their dogs as they are always wanting to promote membership. Unfortunately our dogs get too old or have already reached the limit of their acheivements and in order for us to continue our activities we need new blood, but that doesn't mean that we want to get rid of our old mates to make room for the new.

Unfortunately our dogs get too old or have already reached the limit of their acheivements and in order for us to continue our activities we need new blood, but that doesn't mean that we want to get rid of our old mates to make room for the new.

Are you sure? I don't mind taking Gizzy of your hands :laugh::cry:

You would think of all the councils CoGosnells would be the most understanding when it comes to dogs because the CAWA grounds are in CoG, so of course there are going to be a lot of people in the area involved in dog activities.

Ozjen I totally agree with you, I am lucky that I have a limit of 3 dogs, otherwise I would have been waiting on the older dog to die to get a pup (and how sad is that :cry: ) I agree with you that members of Dogswest should be given concessions to the rules. :laugh:

I had the Gosnells ranger on my dooorstep the day my pups turned three months (Sunday).

Your kidding!!! That's unreal... They are so black and white, there's no liniency with them whatsoever. :laugh:

My neighbours wouldn't let us that's for sure, every time our owner (we're renting) has applied for a permit i.e. swimming pool or gazebo etc the neightbours knock it back even though it's not going anywhere near their house. They seem to hate us for some reason, don't know why, we always wave at them, never have parties (have 2 young kids).. They'd knock back our application just to annoy us I'm sure.

Rubystar

I have a friend who works for the City of Gosi, I have asked her to clarify the rule for me... Will let u know when she gets back to me.

Swan, you just apply, pay fee, i think letters get sent to surrounding neighbours, and if they dont have a prob you get the licence

Thanks! Would be interesting to know why they are such d*cks!! :laugh:

See now City of Swan have the right idea. Pay a fee, have ranger inspect property, ask neighbours, pass all that, hey presto, you can have your 3rd dog!

I only just bought my house and moving in this weekend, so I will be stuck in City of Crapnells for a few years at least.

:D

Congrats on the house RS!

I used to live in Kenwick for 5 years and my brother lived in Thornlie. I actually think they are great suburbs if you're in an OK part. They're not too far from the city or highways or the train.

We built a house in Forrestdale and moved there but I still miss some things about Kenwick (Like it's proximity to the airport when I have to make a 5am trip :cry: )

Glad you had fun camping RosieFT! Sounds like Rosie had a ball (actually I bet she had lots of balls :) ) Yeah bad joke.

FWIW Thornliegirl, I used to take Kyzer to Applecross vet (I work in Applecross) but didn't find them that great for a pet owner. I think they're more of a breeder vet, repro and all that. I use Vetwest in Canning Vale and I'm quite happy with them really. Haven't had a bad experience yet anyway.

My house is a 5 min walk to the train station, brilliant! I use VetWest Canning Vale too, fairly happy with them, except for the fact I paid them money to have Millie's microchip registered and they have failed to send the paperwork in! As soon as I get off my lazy butt, I will be going down there to give them a piece of my mind! Charging me double than it would have to send in the paperwork myself direct to AAR, and then not sending it 6 months later!

Perhaps our canine council should push for some leniancy for canine members who are invoved in activities with their dogs as they are always wanting to promote membership. Unfortunately our dogs get too old or have already reached the limit of their acheivements and in order for us to continue our activities we need new blood, but that doesn't mean that we want to get rid of our old mates to make room for the new.

TOTALLY agree, here!! We don't just leave our dogs in the backyard, some of us partake in many dog activities with them, being responsible DogsWest members. They definitely should introduce some sort of leniency for DogsWest members. And as Amypie said, you'd think they would be leanient with us cos the CAWA grounds are in their freakin' council area!! Doesn't make sense :cry:

And yes they are basically saying we have to wait until our beloved pets kark it before we can get another to pursue our chosen sports/hobbies. That makes sense to encourage good dog ownership :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Guys i totally agree with all your points regarding the three dog rule... and I think ozjen that it is a FANTASTIC idea to see if we can get the councils to consider members of the canine association to have leniency placed on them with regards to the three dog rule... I think it is unfortunate that councils have the right to impose their own laws as there are some councils that are more dog friendly than others.

Recently i noticed that two dog parks in my area have been removed as off leash areas... so now my off leash areas are a car drive away!!

RS, City of Wanneroo is apparently quite good with regards to granting permits... Swan sounds ideal too :laugh:

This rule has been around for more than 25 yrs.

Even if you do get a permit it is renewable each year & if you get a complaint they can revoke it .It doesnt guarantee that you can always have over the normal limit.

Just because the CAWA grounds are in that area shouldnt mean any more privileges & im at a lost as to why you think that should be so.

Members live far & wide not just in Gosnells