Run Free Little Bebe, Free Of Pain At Last

Her Majesty Dogmad

On New Year's Eve I made the tough decision to say goodbye to my little crippled rescue girl, Bebe.

Bebe had 9 years in her first home but unfortunately she was never allowed outside (in case she got a flea) and was fed on whatever her owners were eating so she had rickets/arthritis.

Someone on DOL posted about a dog in need in 2007, said she would be put to sleep unless she found a new home. Her owners had died suddenly and the person "looking after her" just had no idea. It took me 3 months to get her away from this person who was collecting her teeth in a jar.

The first time I saw her it made me cry for her nails had grown under her paws and she could barely stand. I wanted to take her straight to a vet but this person prevented me from doing so, to report them to the RSPCA would have ended in Bebe's death for sure and I was determined that she would spend whatever time she had left with me, pottering around the garden in the sun and enjoying some canine company - she'd never met another dog of course as she'd never been out.

When I finally got her, the vets said that with care, she would be able to get some pleasure out of life. Her teeth were removed as necessary and her claws cut under anaesthetic. She was on medication for her arthritis and she was finally happy. She fell in love with my Italian Greyhound, Luigi, and thought I was the best thing in the world - she was my greatest fan and would scream with delight when I returned from work etc.

She didn't like other people generally and had to be locked away when anyone visited or she would race across the room on her little crippled legs to bite them.

She enjoyed a meander down the road or in the park every day. She was very smart, she mastered the doggie door within minutes and learned the household routine. She had stairs to get on the sofa and would manage to flip a blanket so only her little head poked out. She slept on my bed every night and would wake me, should she need a pee in the middle of the night.

Every month, due to her bad beginnings and disability, she would go and have her anal glands and claws done - she eventually managed without the muzzle ...

Bebe's most hilarious habit was her love of drinking tea. You couldn't sit on the sofa with her without a major performance happening - she'd start screaming and rocking on her haunches, tapping you on the arm until you poured some into a saucer for her. I even got a friend to record it for Funniest Home Videos, it was such a funny thing.

Sadly she had deteriorated in the last few weeks to the point where life was getting to be too much of a struggle.

RIP Bebe, you were the biggest little character I've ever met in this life. Until we meet again my darling girl, I will miss you every day. We had 2 years together which I never expected and will always be grateful for. :rofl:

post-4751-1262941887_thumb.jpg

Dogmad thank you for caring so much that you went to exteme lengths to effectively rescue Bebe and give her a GOOD home for her remaining years. Her eulogy is well written and leaves us in no doubt that she was treasured, well looked after and loved by you.

:rofl:

Hope the kettle is on for a cuppa over the bride little bebe :-)

Thank you dogmad for making her last years so special - sounds like Bebe will leave a huge and precious memory.

hugs from fifi & the wolfies xxx