Please Make Sure Your Dogs Are Okay In The Heat

InspectorRex

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dogs will be fine with shade and cool water, more importantly check on your elderly neighbours, sick or frail family members. A door knock or a phone call could save a life.

We have a very elderly family memeber living alone, she put the heater on instead of the AC and fell asleep. She passed out, luckily was checked on by another family member who found her and took her to hospital. She recoverd, but has caused her major anxiety since the incident.

Your useless to your pets if your out cold.

Guest Kate_Summer
Already at 10am it is 30 degrees.

Wrong again! :thumbsup:

Read the weather right!!!

Maximum Temperature (since midnight) 28.7 °C at: 10:59 AM

Not sure how it is in Vic but here I am an hours drive from the city on the plains & the weather report is never accurate for us.

We are always 3 to 6 degrees over the areas they take the temp.

My thermometer is outside but in shade.

Rain is even funnier. It can go down the highway which is close & miss us completely.

We call this tiny area the Bermuda Triangle of SA, its weird. :thumbsup:

Its like here, I'm only 10 minute from town & its always hotter here & we don't get rain or dew as much as town does.

Well so far here it's not too bad, only 34C according to my thermometer so hopefully it will all turn out to be a fizzer. I wont mind at all if the weather bureau got it wrong.

I keep listening to the radio though and going out to look at the sky for smoke, same thing I did on that awful Feb day.

I hope you don't have to go through that again. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I did buy them a clam shell pool and polar mats but they refuse to use them - they act as if I'm trying to murder them!

Mine too :thumbsup: They hate water!

We bought a clam shell last week, while our little boy happily gets in the dam at my Mothers and goes up to his chest and stands and drinks, he won't have anything to do with the Clam Shell. We dug it just above level ground level and put paver's around it but they won't hop in. We put them in when we get home and they will stand there looking at us with sad little faces.

STRANGE

We also have no choice but to leave our dogs outside, but we are lucky to have an area in between the house that is under cover and that we have added additional shade cloth to. This is where their pool is also. It is around the same temperature in there as in the house.

41.9C at my nearest weather station (Edinburgh) according to BOM.

Both dogs are sprawled out asleep in their crates in the aircon in my bedroom and are quite happy there. We'll do some toilet breaks, drinks and leg stretching with a dip in the clam shell pool for Sam the Labrador (Delilah Dalmatian won't go near the water at all!) and then they'll come back inside until it cools down outside. We will repeat all of that as many times and for as long as needed to get through the heat.

I did buy them a clam shell pool and polar mats but they refuse to use them - they act as if I'm trying to murder them!

Mine too :thumbsup: They hate water!

Yep mine too. Lilly will occassionally hop in our if we fill it up for her.

At the million paws walk last year we stopped with our 3 for a drink at one of the stops along the route. Lilly had a drink and then popped her front feet in the bucket and just stood there :thumbsup: Figured she must have had warm toes :laugh:

Dogs will be fine with shade and cool water, more importantly check on your elderly neighbours, sick or frail family members. A door knock or a phone call could save a life.

We have a very elderly family memeber living alone, she put the heater on instead of the AC and fell asleep. She passed out, luckily was checked on by another family member who found her and took her to hospital. She recoverd, but has caused her major anxiety since the incident.

Your useless to your pets if your out cold.

I have been bobbing my head over to check on my neighbour. He has gone to church this morning and has not come home as yet. Yah I always worry about my old neighbour ... he is a little depressed lately as well as both his brothers are in hospital. Not an easy time for him.

Please everyone. Most states are experiencing extremely high temperatures at present so please make sure your dogs and your animals are not exposed to this heat

Good reminder IR

wish my neighbours behind me were home

their poor dogs outside and the wind in stifling here

yes they have shade and water bowls

but the heat even in the shade is terrible

my 2 are inside under aircon ( which is struggling )

clam pool outside and everytime they have wee breaks they go in pool before comeing back inside

currently they laying down with wet hand towels on them

currently 40C at midday , so would say it going to go over the predicted 43C

Well here in northern vic temp is 37.5 so they just said on radio, I have air con on and would put on for doggies if I was at work they're always inside when it's hot even if I'm at work just put newspaper down on kitchen floor and they will go toilet there if they need to go.

Horse was looking a bit stressed is only 1 tree for shade in her paddock but has a shelter which she only goes in if its bucketing down rain so I put hot tape across driveway and let her out into back yard so she can come and stand under carport if she wants to, but no where is she standing right in front of aircon box outside kitchen window, you would think she would be hotter with the hot air coming out of it, (Silly girl) I've hosed her down once already and no doubt like yesterday will hose her down couple more times and have put light cotton rug back on, I've found that even if horses have shady trees they still stand out in the hot sun so they obviously don't care as long as they got plenty of water to drink.

Just saw neighbors German Sheppard while I was hosing horse down go for dip in their fish pond :thumbsup: they bought him a clam shell pool but he prefers the fish pond. :thumbsup:

Here in my part of SA its 40 already but im hoping the clouds that i see in the distance wont let it get higher. Had 4 fires start up already within striking distance but there under control at the moment so im home from work just incase we have to deal with a fire.

It's hit 40...

The boys are inside with OH, most likely flaked out on the floor in front of the three fans going in the loungeroom. Otherwise the devil child is probably outside playing "digs" in his pool, but only for very short periods before he's forced back indoors. Our big black dog isn't allowed out the back in this heat because it's in the sun, he gets let out for toilets out the front in the shade. He's a bit dumb and would stay outside until he got heatstroke which we don't want.

I'm in aircon and I'm NOT going outside until hometime!

Edited by Bundy's Mum