If One More Person Asks Me...... Grrrr

pixie_meg

Perhaps but I'd guess that there wouldn't be too many cross breeds being shown at the average dog show :thumbsup: Sounds like CnR was nice enough about it!

Last night on my walk I had two people ask about my Dobermann puppy, I smiled and corrected them and told them some information about the breed, they were all happy to chat, and a lot of them gave some nice compliments. Some other people didn't mention a breed, just asked about her and how big she'll grow etc.

I think I like it better having a dog that intrigues people enough to ask questions, gives me a chance to stop and chat and gives them a chance to pat the dog.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be flattered!
:(:laugh: Yes you should!! :D

I can understand how you feel, though its pretty rare to see a Borzoi down at the park, so i can see why people mistake him for other breeds. He is lovely though! :laugh:

They tend to go through that long lanky puppy stage anyway, where they often dont look like what the breed should do. Im sure he will bloom into a lovely Borzoi and when he reaches hip height they will stop thinking he is a whippet!

I get people asking me if my whippets are greyhounds, i am mortally wounded and offended - my whippets are not big and are of standard size thanks very much, how dare you!! :rofl:

:) oh, Mita, are you sure there is no prize... like maybe a lickle smoochie faced Tibbie? :o

Well, there's a lickle smoochie faced Tibbie girl that a good breeder wants to retire to the best of homes! Wearing her full fur. :)

post-3304-1263456109_thumb.jpg

Seriously it was amazing you picked the breed minus fur....when most people can't pick a tibbie a la natural.

Hi you should try owning Large Munsterlanders, I get everything from long haired dallys to Dally Afhgan cross and of course it is a Springer or Brittany and I say no its a Large Munsterlander a utility gun dog and very rare, however, everybody thinks they are very eye catching with their beautiful markings so I feel very proud and it gives me a chance to tell them about the breed.

Yes he's a GORGEOUS BOY!!!! hehe, i've had the pleasure of meeting him :o

This isn't quite the same, but sometimes people do say hurtful things when they're not fully educated - I was down the beach with my Australian Shepherd, who has a natural bob tail, when a lady said to me, "WHAT have you done to her tail!!!!!!!????? It's so sad for her, we'll NEVER know when she's happy or running up to attack us!!". So yep, I kindly told her about Australian shepherds as she hadn't heard of them, but still after that she was turning her nose up at me like I had cut her tail off with a pair of sissors or something :) It was really quite hurtful as she was really blunt about the whole thing!! Everyone stops to comment of my pup, but before they can say too much, I start to educate them about this wonderful breed :laugh: :D ETA ie the - bob tail

Edited by Beth86

When I say my dog is a Brittany I have had quite a few people think that is my dog's name, not my dog's breed.

I have to admit my number one bad name for a dog is Brittany for a dog who is not a Brittany (apologies for anyone with a dog called Brittany) - but it is just too confusing for me :laugh:

Edited by helen

We're often asked what kind of cross breed Pepper is, and people seem to glaze over when you tell them she's a German Shorthaired Pointer.

A few people identify her correctly, but they have family or friends with a GSP. At obedience school, there's one instructor who gets it right (he's lovely), but all the others call her "the Pointer".

Pepper's not offended either way, as long as she gets a pat :)

Morty was mistaken once when he was about 4 months old by someone who knew everything there was to know about dogs (just ask her she'll tell you :laugh: ) that he was a Cattle Dogx cause only cattle dogs can have ticked coats ..... I tried for nearly 10 minutes of a discussion to convince her that there were other breed with ticked coats, that GSP's were a real breed and not made up and that Morty was in fact a GSP but she wasn't having a bar of it ... she walked away with a "nice talking to you but you really need to accept the fact he's a x breed and not some fancy made up breed" ... poor Morty :D

>.< Gnnnnnn! >.<

Seriously - Mita, you are contributing to my 'dog hoarder' reputation! She should find a lovely home up top, though, she is beeeoooytiful. I once had a little black Tibbie girl on one of my regular walking routes who was The Sweetest Little Girl... I think I used to make her owner nervous, I was a tad enthusiastic 'bout being charmed by her little dog! :laugh:

Even with my Afghans being clipped in a 'Saluki', I still have people correctly guessing them (damn arthritis, I got Flarfy dogs because I like playing with hair...) which always startles me!

My Lapphund has been called all sorts of things and the conversation that Armahani put up is VERY common... But my most favourite was when we were standing outside the ring ready to go in for breed class at a show... And someone coming up to me and saying, "What cross is she?"

Uhhh... Dude... Last time I checked they don't allow cross breeds in the ring!!! :D I had to ask him to repeat himself because I thought I heard him wrong!

It turns out he had a BC x Sibe and thought that my girl looked a lot like his dog. Which was true - I did meet the dog and there was a bit of resemblance to the untrained eye.

Meanwhile my Keeshond as a puppy was thought to be a GSD!!!!!!!!!!!! :) WHAAAAAAAT?!

We did come across a lovely couple with an Elkhound at the beach and they remarked, "What lovely Finnish Lapphunds!" I almost DIED!!!!!! :laugh:

She should find a lovely home up top, though, she is beeeoooytiful.

Even with my Afghans being clipped in a 'Saluki', I still have people correctly guessing them (damn arthritis, I got Flarfy dogs because I like playing with hair...) which always startles me!

Psssssst! That beautiful tibbie girl is in South Australia (down south!). :eek:

Seriously, tho', I'm so impressed how people can identify your clipped Afghans. Fair enough....with hair on, their elegance is unique. But, 'Saluki' clipped? I'd expect that to 'throw' ID (it would have with me!).

I love kids, tho' for IDing dogs. They make up labels.

Folk next door had 3 nice grandchildren visiting from Sydney. Man at the back gave them Sunday morning entertainment, by sitting them up high to watch him hydrobath his little tribe of racing greyhounds. The kids were glued to the spectacle.....& how each grey did a post-bath victory lap around the big backyard.

No matter how much we told them they were 'Greyhounds'.....to the kids, they were The Dogs With the Long Legs.

Now back in Sydney....after their holiday in Qld took in every theme park & beach.....those kids still keep talking about the highlight for them.

Watching The Dogs With The Long Legs getting bathed & having a run.

They'd call your dogs, The Dogs With The Long Legs With Fur On.

• 2 weeks later...
Meanwhile my Keeshond as a puppy was thought to be a GSD!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: WHAAAAAAAT?!

Yes I have had that suggestion many times and it puzzles me too. I don't see that there is any more resemblance to a GSD than any other breed with a black face, I guess it's just the GSD is a well known breed.

It's weird that people know absolutely nothing about dog breeds try to guess or just presume because they don't recognise it that it must be a cross between two of the (possibly 8) breeds they do know.

I like to think I know every breed of dog, pretty much, and if I saw a pedigree dog I would know what breed it was. So, I guess if someone is asking what the breed is, that in itself means they don't really know at all..... ???

And then there is the friend with a Kees who met someone who continued to INSIST that their dog was a CAUCASIAN...!

Edited by nynka

I figure it comes with the territory when you have something uncommon. I would fall over backwards if I said "Lapphund" or "Vallhund" and was met with anything other than blank looks, uncomfortable silences, or "A what?" Erik seems to really stump people. They always ask because they have no idea what he is. Not the faintest. They always say he looks like a German Shepherd, though. A few people have called him a "sawn-off shepherd". :eek: I don't mind, really. He's a very cute little dog and somehow gets more attention than the drop-dead gorgeous Lapphund teddy bear. We like the attention. :D

I can only expect to hear all about my how my Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a lab x in years to come ;)

I have already had my doubters, once when I was ringing up to find out about a puppy kindy I told them I was getting a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and there was silence then "Are you sure thats a breed? I've never heard of it." :rofl: "Yes because you define dog breeds" (What I felt like saying)

Needless to say Lincoln is going to puppy kindy elsewhere ;)

Edited by valleywa

;) I have a lemon and white Pointer. She has a fair amount of ticking..

I always get asked if she is a dally. Or they say "I like that breed, but I haven't seen a dally with markings like that!" :)

I adore the people that come up to me and ask if its a Pointer. I just want to fall at their feet! :( I had a lovely old couple come up to me at Hanging Rock today, and the lady starts patting Alexis, after asking me :( And then said she used to have a Pointer! She hadn't asked the breed or anything! :rofl: ;)

post-28840-1264318283_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pointees

;) oh, Mita, are you sure there is no prize... like maybe a lickle smoochie faced Tibbie? :rofl:

Well, there's a lickle smoochie faced Tibbie girl that a good breeder wants to retire to the best of homes! Wearing her full fur. ;)

post-3304-1263456109_thumb.jpg

Seriously it was amazing you picked the breed minus fur....when most people can't pick a tibbie a la natural.

awww Mita, I guess tibbie tooooo! lol, and I'm pretty sure someone else guessed right as well!

We used to have a Landseer Newfoundland many years ago and everyone asked if she was a Saint Bernard and they would argue if you told them she was a Newfy " no she is not they are black"............A lot of people still ask "what dog is that", with the Black newfs, some people are just breed ignorant. I always ask if I am not sure. I would not have guessed your pup. I have only ever seen full grown Borzoi's