Dog Eating Insects

Odin-Genie

Hi,

In summer we get lots of cicadas and crickets in our backyard. My goldy has started chasing them and eating them. I stop her when I see her, but there are usually a few dead cicadas lying in the lawn and it's likely she eats them when she finds them during the day. Can this be harmful? I can't keep her locked inside all day. She has access to the backyard through a dog door.

wont do her any harm at all ... in fact some countries use them as a food source themselves!

plus their fun to catch. My grandparents old terrier Foxy used to spend hours hunting and digging them out of hte lawn

2 of my 3 love catching insects, though once they stop moving they usually loose interest. Lilly will spend sometimes spend a good hour of a night outside chasing buggies.

Oscar recently came inside and was scratching around his mouth, looking very uncomfortable. I took a look and found a big christmas beetle holding on to the roof of his mouth for dear life :thumbsup: He managed to dislodge it himself and I took the beetle back outside.

No harm in it - until they come inside with a huntsman spider attached to their face - and don't understand why I run away screaming at them to get outside :thumbsup:

:laugh:

Flies are a favourite for mine, but when she goes to sniff a grasshopper, if it jumps she makes a hasty retreat.

Mmmmm extra protein Nom Nom!!

Ari loves flies - and she is good at catching them too! another fave is earwigs - they are expert at disposing of them now...

James loves the moths the most, but when he was a puppy (before Ari came along with her big nose) he used to set at flies for ages - up to 10 minutes once, until the fly flew away.

No harm in it - until they come inside with a huntsman spider attached to their face - and don't understand why I run away screaming at them to get outside :banghead:

Nah just a bit of extra protein my old girl does it all the time if we're outside of a night, has done the hunstman's also :mad had one in my bedroom one night and I knocked it on floor and went to get vac and came back to see Lady looking very pleased with herself and looked on floor and there was huntsman body and no legs probably thought it wont run now mum! :mad

Edited by mutt lover

My sammie girl hunts bugs every evening, she loves it and it does her no harm

Same as Echo she can spend hours out side chasing bugs. She will come back to the door to be let in and by the time it takes you to get to her she may have been distracted by a new bug and gone again.