Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Wow, you are already spoiling your future puppy~~ I hope you will get to meet your puppy soon~~

Definitely! I've wanted a dog my whole life, so it will be very spoilt. :laugh:

I got the tag from a a site called 'Etsy', it has a lot of work from independent artists and craftspeople.

This is the address for the shop I got the tags from > http://www.etsy.com/shop/asecondtime?section_id=5926115

They make lovely tags! Here is another cool etsy shop that I plan on getting a tag from.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/urbanpuppy

Those tags look awesome too! All we need now are the dogs to put the tags onto!! :thumbsup:

congrats on Minxy

Just seen this post I can join, am trying to work out where to buy what for him as all my old stuff for my old girl is now with her. So I have to start fresh. Any tips or websites would be great

Waiting for my Bull Terrier puppy. Will be ready to fly out to me about the 17th. Meet Bolt.

71804_111596725570232_100001597144730_86833_1170678_n.jpg

congrats on Minxy

Just seen this post I can join, am trying to work out where to buy what for him as all my old stuff for my old girl is now with her. So I have to start fresh. Any tips or websites would be great

Waiting for my Bull Terrier puppy. Will be ready to fly out to me about the 17th. Meet Bolt.

71804_111596725570232_100001597144730_86833_1170678_n.jpg

Hi Simple,

It's going to be a bit of trial and error. Dogs have their own personalities and they all like different things. One of mine preferred soccer balls, another Aussie rules balls, another tennis balls. 2 liked birds, 1 like to sleep. All liked food. 2 liked water ( 2 liked sea water - 1 didn't like normal water but love the sea), all 3 liked to dig, 1 liked to jump, 2 liked rope toys, 1 like kongs. 2 love cuddle toys to go to bed with - 1 just ripped them to shreds. Your puppy will be what he/she is. Play it by ear....have fun!

Those tags look awesome too! All we need now are the dogs to put the tags onto!! :laugh:

Haha! So true.

Bolt is cute! A great site I discovered recently is http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?

I just ordered a whole heap of toys from there. It worked out cheaper than buying them from Australia.

I had a bit of a puppy excitement set back today. I'm waiting until my brother buys his investment house in my area because I will be renting from him and he will allow pets. I thought I would be moving into a place before Christmas BUT... he is currently looking at buying a house that already has tenants and their lease doesn't expire for 4 months. So moving out and getting a puppy is possibly going to wait until early next year. :rofl:

Sorry Naomi - hope you don't have to wait too long.

Simple, which one is Bolt? They are both gorgeous :laugh:

The waiting is starting to make me a little bit mental. Can anyone recommend a Lappie-sized bed? What sort should I be looking at? A hammock/raised style, or something plush and pretty?

Sorry Naomi - hope you don't have to wait too long.

Simple, which one is Bolt? They are both gorgeous :thumbsup:

The waiting is starting to make me a little bit mental. Can anyone recommend a Lappie-sized bed? What sort should I be looking at? A hammock/raised style, or something plush and pretty?

Most puppies will DESTROY bedding. Our Husky has, and we don't bother anymore. I would recommend just getting a crate and then putting blankets/towels in it. We've learnt that Akira will sleep on the ground over a bed anyway, and she's more than happy with towels.

If you'd rather a bed than a crate, maybe try a trampoline style bed. I just really recommend not spending too much on beds! :rofl:

Haha, thanks whiskedaway! It's exactly the kind of thing I would spend too much money on too :rofl:

Your Akira is closer to Lappie size than Sibe size, is that right? What sized crate do you suggest?

Haha, thanks whiskedaway! It's exactly the kind of thing I would spend too much money on too :(

Your Akira is closer to Lappie size than Sibe size, is that right? What sized crate do you suggest?

Yes, that's correct. She's about the same size as a male Lappie, a couple of inches taller than a female.

Sizes are a tricky thing for me, because Akira doesn't actually have a crate at the moment - my OH is making ours and it feels like a never ending project (typical man :(), but because Akira has her kennel we don't need it right this instant. However, I would buy something about this size: http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/EXTRA-L...Cats-p14751.htm

It'll be too big for a puppy, but you can section it off. For a puppy though, I'd think of a metal one due to destruction issues (my OH is making a metal one), you can always cover it with a blanket to keep light out if you want puppy to sleep during the day.

Our puppy is making the journey down to Melbourne on Wednesday! Yayyyy!

Yes, that's correct. She's about the same size as a male Lappie, a couple of inches taller than a female.

Sizes are a tricky thing for me, because Akira doesn't actually have a crate at the moment - my OH is making ours and it feels like a never ending project (typical man :laugh:), but because Akira has her kennel we don't need it right this instant. However, I would buy something about this size: http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/EXTRA-L...Cats-p14751.htm

It'll be too big for a puppy, but you can section it off. For a puppy though, I'd think of a metal one due to destruction issues (my OH is making a metal one), you can always cover it with a blanket to keep light out if you want puppy to sleep during the day.

Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Haha, thanks whiskedaway! It's exactly the kind of thing I would spend too much money on too :laugh:

For an adult lappie, a 36" crate is the appropriate size. Saphira at the moment needs the crate made to be significantly smaller (just enough room for her to turn around and stretch out) so if you are to get a full size 36" crate, make sure you have a way to block it off (cardboard box or a divider). She has slept in both metal and soft crates and hasn't shown any inclination to chew either, so if you were planning to go for a soft crate for her, she should be fine so long as she doesn't all of a sudden turn into a destructo-puppy :D

Edited by TerraNik

haha, let's hope not! :laugh:

A metal crate seems like it would be easier to divide than a soft crate, is it? OH and XH both consider themselves real handymen :D so I'm sure they'll be up to the challenge either way. Thanks Nik!

haha, let's hope not! :laugh:

A metal crate seems like it would be easier to divide than a soft crate, is it? OH and XH both consider themselves real handymen :D so I'm sure they'll be up to the challenge either way. Thanks Nik!

Yep it is definitely easier to divide a metal crate and some of them even come with dividers.

I am looking at a crate for the new pup too, not sure on what size to get but am after a collaspable one for ease of camping

I am looking at a crate for the new pup too, not sure on what size to get but am after a collaspable one for ease of camping
http://www.dogtainers.com.au/index.php?id=26

:lollipop:

I wouldn't be putting a puppy in a soft crate...they will destroy it in no time, & possibly escape when you are least expecting it. I have seen it happen when a friend had their 6 month old puppy at a trial in a soft crate. While mum was out running the course with her other dog, puppy decided to chew her way out. Took ages to find her & the trial was next to a busy highway. :rofl: Eventually found her down a drain. Why don't you get a folding metal crate, which usually come with a divider, & a canvas waterproof cover to go over it.