A Close Call

Bindii

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the exact reason I will never let my dogs off lead. They are dogs and and all it takes is a rabbit, cat, whatever to dart out and its on(not to metion I worry about dog fights and not being "there" to jump on it straight away). I have friends who let their dogs off lead and my heart is in my mouth everytime, especially near roads or other dogs. In fact I know someone whose obedience trained with multiple titles dog took off at kcc park after a rabbit, headed straight for the highway and she was not coming back. In the end a fence stopped her, thank God.

I ma so glad Fletcher is ok :D

That is the exact reason I will never let my dogs off lead. They are dogs and and all it takes is a rabbit, cat, whatever to dart out and its on(not to metion I worry about dog fights and not being "there" to jump on it straight away). I have friends who let their dogs off lead and my heart is in my mouth everytime, especially near roads or other dogs. In fact I know someone whose obedience trained with multiple titles dog took off at kcc park after a rabbit, headed straight for the highway and she was not coming back. In the end a fence stopped her, thank God.

I ma so glad Fletcher is ok :D

Agreed!

There was an article in our latest breed club newsletter entitled "Trust: The Silent Killer" or something along those lines and it was a true story which ended in the death of a dog who had been allowed off-leash every day for almost 7 years with perfect recall etc.

SO GLAD Fletcher is okay, big hug to you and him!! Wow.

OMG Bindii, you poor thing, what a shattering experience, and I am so glad it turned out OK.

Sometimes with Maxi I am tempted by his mostly good behaviour, to give him that little bit more freedom off the lead, but I always give myself a good talking to, - how dogs are like little children, they don't understand that those cars zooming along the street, actually won't stop or go around them, in fact often will not see them in time to even do so.

I wonder too that your dog may have become more excited than usual with the extra time in the park and there was some stimulation of pack behaviour and hunting behaviour, in doing the circuits with other dogs along.

Just glad you are all ok.

What a horrible experience!

Just reading what you had written had goose bumps all over me. It was very well written and a very 'real' portrayal of your situtaion.

Hopefully people who read it think twice about letting their dogs off lead in an unfenced area.

Oh hugs and a stiff drink to you, Bindi.

How terrifying!!! :D

This is why all off-leash parks should be fully fenced!!! :D

I agree. my dear old golden Sam only once ever took off and did the exact same thing but the reason?? he spotted the old horse over the road, in its paddock, where it had always been, and on this day, decided it was time to say hello! being big and blonde it was easy for car drivers to see him, and they stopped, I was a mess! dont feel too badly, it has happened to many of us.

Wow, how scary for you. I am so glad it turned out ok.

In the latter half of last year, I received a very sad phone call from someone who adopted 2 Pugs from me. They were litter sisters and had always been together, and to this day I swear I have never seen 2 dogs closer than these two. They shared everything! They would each even chew on the same bone, one on either end!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they were being walked off lead as they had done twice a day for some time. Both would always come when called and neither would wander away from their owners side. On this particular morning, one of the girls decided she was in a rush to get home and she took off ahead as they were about to leave the park, straight across the road and straight into the path of a car. She died almost instantly. :laugh:

I am miss paranoid when it comes to wlaking dogs off lead and, over the top it may be, but I will not and have not ever allowed my dogs off lead without being in a securely enclosed and fenced area.

THank goodness this has a happy ending. How terrifying. :D Bunnies are so attractive, it must have something to do with how they move. I'm sure there are very few dogs who would not have done the same thing, not matter how well trained. Of course no animal is completely trustworthy. As long as we are aware of this and take precautions, hopefully we can prevent accidents.

My dogs go offlead, mainly at the beach where there is nowhere for them to 'go', no roads etc. anywhere nearby. I have had 2 scares elsewhere, one was with a red bellied black swimming in a creek, the other was a hare that my spin decided to chase :( the viz was excellent ;) . I can relate to the screaming etc. I was lucky, no roads around, but I thought I would lose her in the scrub. She was gone for the longest 5 mins of my life. I actually sent the viz in to 'find' and she brought her back as I knew she was close, I could hear her crashing around.

I only allow her off lead now during strong daylight (no critters) when there are two or more of us humans (ie. we call her between us and she gets a good run that way.)

Thankyou for sharing and , wow! ever thought of becoming a writer?? :laugh:

I'm so glad that everyone is okay. I do know very well what you went through... I watched Sasha darting madly through traffic one day - and my mind was waiting for the sound I didn't want to hear... the thud...

We were also very lucky - and I now have Sasha in a martingale collar so that she can not slip it. That day, I had temporarily forgotten that Sasha's fear can sometimes be all-consuming, and that it's possible to slip a tight harness no matter how many precautions you take.

Thank you for sharing... I'm sorry you had to go through such a terrifying experience - but it will always help to remind you, and others who will share it with you, that dogs are sometimes just dogs... and no matter how well we know them, we should never let our guard down as it is our responsibility to ensure their safety at all times.

Thank Dog you are all safe and luck was on your side :laugh:

Glad that your dog is okay after that terrifying experience.

The other thing to remember is that once your dog is onto a rabbit or any other prey, your dog is totally honed in on that prey. All his senses are concentrating on the rabbit, so no amount of screaming on your part will be heard by your dog. In fact, if anything, if your dog can hear you, then it will just add to his adrenalin rush and he will keep chasing that rabbit.

Always be careful when walking dogs off lead at dusk/night because there are lots of ‘night’ animals which will tempt you’re dog senses. There is nothing more rewarding to a dog than natural prey, no matter how good your recall is. You, as your dog’s owner, will never be more exciting than a rabbit, possum etc

Agreed!

There was an article in our latest breed club newsletter entitled "Trust: The Silent Killer" or something along those lines and it was a true story which ended in the death of a dog who had been allowed off-leash every day for almost 7 years with perfect recall etc.

I know exactly which article you are talking about and it grates on my nerves every time I see it posted :laugh:

I don't think trust is a killer. I think complacency is dangerous and I always ask people who let their dogs off without a second thought if they could guarantee that if a rabbit ran in front of their dog, they could 100% reliably call it off. If the answer is no, why risk it?

The people I know who can (literally and figuratively) call their dogs off rabbits are the ones who train their dogs in prey drive. It's not impossible to train a recall that reliable.

Glad to hear that Fletcher is ok Bindii, it is very scary when something like that happens :D

Glad your dog is okay, Hope you are okay too. The 'what could have happened movie' will play in your head for some time, just take some deep breaths, shake your head and remind yourself that IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

I have only one rule - ON LEAD

the only time that rule is relaxed is in a fully fenced enclosure or an isolated beach.

I do not believe in full recall, I only believe in fences & leads.

fifi

Glad your dog is okay, Hope you are okay too. The 'what could have happened movie' will play in your head for some time, just take some deep breaths, shake your head and remind yourself that IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

I have only one rule - ON LEAD

the only time that rule is relaxed is in a fully fenced enclosure or an isolated beach.

I do not believe in full recall, I only believe in fences & leads.

fifi

Agreed Fifi.

Having Whippets and two of them I am very sure that if they were both off lead and a bunny decided to hop infront of them, they would be gone. I even walk mine on lead around the farm. There are fences everywhere but as they are stock fences I know that they could get through them.

I also believe have the two they would "feed" off each other and be even less likley to respond to a call. I can Call Rommi off a bunny but would never try it anywhere near a road or scrub.