Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great Murve!!

My mission this afternoon is to convince Jedi he has a nose. Scentwork here we come!

Good luck :thumbsup:

I am not looking forward to doing scentwork with Orlando :( but my OH says he's got some sneaky tricks up his sleeve that could work

I am now flatout trying to get him to hold the dumbbell, it is slowly working

Little Sarge loves the dumbbell, 10months old & he is already fetching, comimng back & giving it to me :happydance:

We're learning about the power of reinforcement at puppy agility and my homework is to list Bear's top ten favourite things. It's an interesting exercise I think. Food would be number 1 with my other dogs but not so with Bear.

My list so far -

1. Playing with Banjo

2. Swimming

3. Soccer ball

4. Cheese

5. Sausage

6. Cuddles

7. Tug

Hi guys,

First time poster in this thread.Will give you a brief ( well relatively so) background.

I am wondering if I can join this thread. Some of you may know, but a few months ago I hired a brilliant behaviourist (Jane Harper) to come out and give me some help with Brennan who is fear reactive and would not listen to me under distractions. In doing so I had to change my training methods. I spent first 2 years of Brennan's life training exclusively with Positive Reinforcement ( thought I was doing the right thing :( ). As it was, I was making things worse for my girl. However, all was not lost and we got in contact with Jane and have now begun a more balanced approach to training.

In the mean time we have seen steady improvement in Brennan. She now has to live with me as a leader, and we use NILIF, TOT and heck she has gotten a correction when needed.

Our year in Brisbane is over and we are returning home to Adelaide on the 1st of October. Our goal is a small one..well, it will seem laughable to most of you here. But our goal is to begin Obedience classes at Para Dog Obedience Club when we arrive home. A At first we may have to be a few paces away from other dogs, but if I can get Brennan wworking and not fully reacting in an Obedience class setting then we have already achieved a major goal :). I will be beginning classes some 6 weeks before they end for Summer, I decided to start because at almost 2 and a half we are already behind, so any previous lessons will at least give us something to work on during the summer break :)

In a small bit of praise, I took Brennan for a walk and we went to the park to practise some recall on the long lead. There were ducks 20 feet away from us, Brennan knew the ducks were there, she had seen them moving-- but yet she ignored them and gave some great recall and sit/stays :thumbsup:. All this and she did not receive some food treat ( only praise and physical praise).

Through process of elimination I have found Brennan's best training treat is fresh liver. So I buy some, cut it and zap it in the microwave. It's what she seems to work best for.

Hi Brennan's mum :D welcome of coarse you can join in the chats

Its good you have a method that does work for you & Brennan, everybody here I have found are great with advise, encouragement & lots of praise when you have done well eg: getting passes in trials if you are competing :D :D

Oh man! This week has not been the best week training wise so far and its making me nervous! I seriously need to step back and tell myself its ok if we arent ready by 21st. It wont be the end of the world to miss this one :o Mum had a valid point this morning- She said 'Dont set him up to fail by rushing him especially when you are going away next week'. So true!

I was sick in bed on the weekend so no training there. Monday was a half arsed training session. He was just too interested in the food and our walk was ruined by the fact that my bfs mum decided to drive to the park where we were training with bfs dog and she wouldnt leave us alone while I tried to train :mad Yesterday I got home late and so took him for a quick walk. I stopped to do a bit of training in a lit up area but I kept messing up my feet and getting us both confused and frazzled so we finished on a good stand and went home.

Todays plan- Have a decent, fun training session!

Did anyone else get themself into a flap before their first trial?

I don't usually get nervous about anything but boy was I petrified of my first obedience trial!!! I had massive butterflies from a WEEK before it!!!! These days I don't get nervous at all though - what will be will be!

Ummmmm... everyone? :rofl:

My girl was sick for 2 weeks before our first trial. I was fully prepared to pull her out, but a few days before the trial she perked up so I went along. We got an awesome pass, but I pulled her out of the afternoon trial as I felt it was too big an ask. I think we probably had one or two actual training sessions in those two weeks.

I don't usually do much training at all in the week leading up to the trial. I do a quick run through of things like fronts, finishes, lining up at the start peg etc. a day or two beforehand (probably 5 minutes worth) but that is just for my own reassurance! She's more enthusiastic about training the longer she hasn't done it, and I would prefer enthusiasm over precision (although both together would be nice :rofl:). It will take a few trials to work out what the best routine is for you and your dog :)

Edited by wuffles

Thanks guys. Ill bee watching how we are going a few days before the trial and if we are ready we will go if not oh well our next trial is the weekend after so it wont matter.

Just thinking about it makes me nervous :laugh: Maybe the week off from training will do us both good and we will be fresh faced! :D Tell you what though- Gotta love a bank that is easy to deal with! I was a bit worried a cheque would be banked and bounce because I had forgotten to leave funds in the account. So went in today got the cheque book linked to a seperate account named - Dog cheques :laugh: I swear people think Im nuts. My Bfs mates call Ramses the "robot dog" TBH Id prefer my robot dog over all their uncontrolable dogs any day :laugh:

Wuffles- Your vid helped with our figure of 8 :thumbsup: They are so much better compared to before!

me I didnt eat for 2 days :( got myself in that much of a panic/angzity attatck I nearly end up in hospital

Thanks to my heart specalist we have got it under controll :laugh: also with some outside help with training :D

Now I just walk in like we are just at a training sesson :laugh:

Wuffles- Your vid helped with our figure of 8 :thumbsup: They are so much better compared to before!

Yay, I'm glad it was helpful! :D On the day of the trial make sure you make time to watch other competitors. I've picked up heaps of tips on body language just from watching other people.

ok who's entered the State Trials at Kcc Park on the weekend ???

I have heard the weather is going to be horrible Sat - morn rain to clearing 13deg, Sun - rain all day, 8deg :(:confused:

I will be there both days if it's not pouring rain!

We had a really good training session yesterday, and even had some help with distractions in the way of several crows and a little mudlark! Silly mudlark would just walk around following us while we did some heel work :laugh: He proved quite useful actually, he walked directly in front of her during recalls and she just ran straight passed him, and then when I put her in a stand stay he went right up to her and all but walked underneath her belly. Good girl didn't move an inch and watched me like a hawk :laugh: Cocky little bird though tempting a birdy gundog like that!

ok who's entered the State Trials at Kcc Park on the weekend ???

I have heard the weather is going to be horrible Sat - morn rain to clearing 13deg, Sun - rain all day, 8deg :(:confused:

I will be there both days if it's not pouring rain!

We had a really good training session yesterday, and even had some help with distractions in the way of several crows and a little mudlark! Silly mudlark would just walk around following us while we did some heel work :laugh: He proved quite useful actually, he walked directly in front of her during recalls and she just ran straight passed him, and then when I put her in a stand stay he went right up to her and all but walked underneath her belly. Good girl didn't move an inch and watched me like a hawk :laugh: Cocky little bird though tempting a birdy gundog like that!

I normally watch the weather closely a few days beforehand to work out what I will be wearing, but still working in the light mist rain :eek:

Congrats to you both for doing a great training session, we dont have any cheaky birds here :rofl: wish we did

We have had a few good training days, on Sat I had Orlando in a sit stay when 3 young drunkin hoods walked pass calling out to my boy, he looked at them but he didnt break :thumbsup: I was very pleased

Last night working in the Pavillon he is comming along ok, we had a 1 on1 with another trialer, she thinks he is doing good after the freak out he got last year in the building,

Thanks guys. Ill bee watching how we are going a few days before the trial and if we are ready we will go if not oh well our next trial is the weekend after so it wont matter.

Just thinking about it makes me nervous :laugh: Maybe the week off from training will do us both good and we will be fresh faced! :D Tell you what though- Gotta love a bank that is easy to deal with! I was a bit worried a cheque would be banked and bounce because I had forgotten to leave funds in the account. So went in today got the cheque book linked to a seperate account named - Dog cheques :laugh: I swear people think Im nuts. My Bfs mates call Ramses the "robot dog" TBH Id prefer my robot dog over all their uncontrolable dogs any day :laugh:

Nervous-not realy. :rofl:

Judge said halt then forward and for God's sake breathe!!! :rofl: